Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2019, 11:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Massachusetts
THOR #1785
Generator trips relay under bed

We have a 2014 31E and when I start the generator it trips the relay under the bed. Any thoughts, bad relay?

Old 05-30-2019, 12:58 AM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Hi, which relay are you talking about? Maybe you are hearing the 120VAC transfer switch operating 30 seconds (approx) after the gen starts? What power issues are resulting if any?
Old 05-30-2019, 01:20 AM   #3

THOR #1785
It's the relay under the bed with the black button on top. When I reset the T switch comes on. If it's trip the generator doesn't charge the house batteries.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:40 PM   #4

THOR #2631
Hi, well it sounds like the “relay” that is tripping “may” be the 50 amp re-settable mini breaker (12vDC) that connects the converter (battery charger output) to the coach batteries. A picture of this mini breaker is attached (black arrow points to it) to see if this is similar to what you are resetting under your bed (picture came from some other coach owner on this forum).
The AC power transfer switch should operate independently of any DC power as its function is to switch between generator 120VAC and shore power 120VAC and connecting one source or the other to the 120VAC input of the converter. When the transfer switch senses 120VAC on the generator feed it starts a timer (inside the transfer switch box) that provides a time delay to allow the gen to get fully running, before the switch from shore AC to the generator feed.

So if this is the 50 amp re-settable 12vdc mini breaker the question is, does it also trip when you are on shore power too (gen is off)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Converter to Coach Battery CCT Breaker.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	17754  
Old 05-30-2019, 10:45 PM   #5

THOR #1785
That’s it. Only trips with gen set thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ACF815BD-30A6-4823-9B07-B00DCE9CFD19.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	17766  
Old 05-31-2019, 01:27 AM   #6

THOR #2631
That is an interesting problem. So when running on shore power the 50 amp 12vdc mini breaker feeding the coach batteries does not trip, but when running off the generator it trips. First question is are your coach batteries fully charged (12.6vdc wet cell; unloaded) ?

Second question is when you start the generator does the mini breaker trip at exactly the time the transfer switch operates (usually 30 seconds after gen starts the transfer switch disconnects shore ac and connects gen ac)?
Both ac sources should be supplying the same 120vac to the input of the converter, depending on the transfer switch (one source or the other, but not both). The transfer switch should also break the shore power connections first before making the gen connections last. If the coach batteries are in good condition and fully charged the charging current from the converter output should be only a few amps at 13.1 vdc approx. So how could the coach batteries pull more than 50 amps to trip the mini breaker when on generator ac? I would be tempted to inspect the transfer switch (no shore connected and no gen running) to make sure all connections are correct, clean and tight. Then with the gen running, “carefully” measure the voltage at an ac outlet to see what it is.....not sure if an under voltage on gen ac output would cause the converter output DC voltage to dip and raise the output charging current enough to trip the mini breaker.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:07 AM   #7

THOR #1785
I may have found the issue. The batteries wouldn't hold a charge (almost 5 yrs old) so I replaced them and the relay hasn't tripped on generator or house power. So far so good. I have two 12V Interstate 130 AH batteries in parallel so I replaced both.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	17900  
Old 06-05-2019, 02:14 AM   #8

THOR #2631
I was wondering if it was related to low state of charge level on your coach batteries, but you would think that the 50 amp mini breaker would trip on either 120vac source (gen or shore) feeding the converter. Well hopefully all is smooth sailing (camping) for you now. Thanks for letting us know how you resolved the trouble.