Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2015, 01:33 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27k
State: Quebec
THOR #2292
Red face How to clean window drapes

Hi, I'm new to motorhome, we had boats for the last 20 years. We just got a Thor Hurricane 2014 and my wife is asking how do you clean the window drapes/shutter (I don't know the exact name)? She used to be a nurse in surgery room and she wants everything to be "sterilized"

Old 07-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Wow! We almost never clean the curtains or the blinds in the RV! LOL At most they may get a vacuuming once and a while but that is about it. Hey you are camping right?? LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:59 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
It's camping!

Seriously, the curtains are really the least of your worries regarding germs and bacteria in the motorhome!!

There is a reason that ventilation, humidity, mold, and cleanliness are always mentioned in regards to all RVs. I wont even mention what happens on boats!

The only way to wash them, (if you're talking about the windshield privacy curtains). is to remove them from the track. Then place them inside of a mesh laundry bag, or send them out for dry cleaning.

You will quickly discover that the backing to the windshield curtains will very likely start to disintegrate due to UV exposure. And the backing will very likely disappear during an attempt at any sort of washing. If you do remove them for washing, it's probably a good opportunity to sew in a new opaque and UV resistant backing.