Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2019, 04:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #14384
How to remove center console on Hurricane / Windsport

My AC/Heater is not only blowing out the dash vents. I need to check the AC control to see if it is working but I'm not sure how to pull the center console off to get to the back of the controls.

Any ideas?

2017 Windsport 34j if that helps.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:05 PM   #2

THOR #14384
Come one, some one has to have done this..
Old 07-02-2019, 08:35 PM   #3

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
I have the same issue with my 2016 Freedom Elite Class C. I did notice I get heat and AC out the vents by the side of the dash near the doors and the defrost vents on the dash. Both air and heat work that way which means their is a vacuum line malfunction which not allowing the diverted to switch the direction. Haven't taken the dog house off yet to investigate but check You Tube videos and thats what they are saying is the problem. Keep us posted on what you find out.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:48 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
I've never removed the center of the dash but I have had the radio out. If I remember correctly with the radio out yoou can reach the fasteners that hold that section in place. Removing the section above the instrument cluster may also give you a look into that area. On our 2015 Windsport you remove the Jensen radio with U shaped wires that you insert on both side of the radio. Those wires came with the coach.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:22 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmath View Post
I have the same issue with my 2016 Freedom Elite Class C. I did notice I get heat and AC out the vents by the side of the dash near the doors and the defrost vents on the dash. Both air and heat work that way which means their is a vacuum line malfunction which not allowing the diverted to switch the direction. Haven't taken the dog house off yet to investigate but check You Tube videos and thats what they are saying is the problem. Keep us posted on what you find out.
Had this same issue on my last class c. Turns out a rodent chewed up a vacuum junction fitting. It took a while to find, it was behind the instrument cluster but the fix was not hard.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:26 AM   #6

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Diane View Post
I've never removed the center of the dash but I have had the radio out. If I remember correctly with the radio out yoou can reach the fasteners that hold that section in place. Removing the section above the instrument cluster may also give you a look into that area. On our 2015 Windsport you remove the Jensen radio with U shaped wires that you insert on both side of the radio. Those wires came with the coach.

This response might be the key to getting the center console out (which I have never done by the way, so this is a WAG). If removing the radio exposes the retention bolts/nuts for the top of the center console, then there are likely at least two more bolts at or near the bottom (likely bolts are moulded into the plastic console face and pass through retaining bracket holes with nuts to snug the console up). If you reach up between the back of the dog house under the bottom sides of the console you might be able to feel the bolts/retaining nuts if they are near the bottom. Not sure if the dog house would have to come off to enable better access to those lower fasteners.....if in fact that is what they use. An inspection mirror and trouble light might give some visibility from below the console bottom in order to confirm this WAG.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:58 PM   #7

THOR #14384
Thanks for the ideas, I will give it a try.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
I have a Windsport 34E 2015 the wood look dash panel that holds the radio is held in place by 6 studs/ nuts three on each side of the wood look panel. If memory holds they are 11 mm nuts, mine had a sealer on them so they turn really hard 1/4-1/2 turn at a time because there's little room for your hands. Once they are off the panel pulls out.
Good luck!