Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2018, 10:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Hurricane 34J full slide bowed.

My full side slide is bowed. It is difficult to use the coach because if we encounter a rain storm, water gets in where the seal is not making contact. It is tight on both ends but is bowed in the middle 3/4 to 1 inch. I have a July appointment in Wakarusa to have it looked at.
Question 1.I have thought about trying a slide lock to try to draw it in while traveling. Do you think that might work?
2. The middle of the slide must roll on something. I have no idea, what or how. can anyone enlighten me?

Old 04-09-2018, 11:09 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Are you able to lay a straight edge across the top of your slide to make sure it is bowed? The problem may be broken roller under the center of the slide.

If you extend the slide and look underneath your should be able to see the roller wheels. If you find one broken I think a trip to the dealer would be required.

Does the slide seal properly when extended?
Old 04-10-2018, 12:18 AM   #3

THOR #6009
OK, i've learned a bit. If it would stop snowing I could look further. I took this pict of under the slide. I lifted up the rubber seal and inspected each roller. All looked fine. When the slide is in, the bow is obvious. With the slide out, the slide looks fairly straight. I have to send pictures to Thor Customer Service. When I do that I will ask about what to spray on those rollers to help them along.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide IMG_2631.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	9662  
Old 04-10-2018, 01:47 AM   #4

THOR #4488
So the problem is only when the slide is in?

It gaps at the top center enough to let water in?
Old 04-10-2018, 02:27 PM   #5

THOR #6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
So the problem is only when the slide is in?

It gaps at the top center enough to let water in?

Yes and No. The gap is along the bottom. The ends are tight, but in the middle you can easily get your fingers under the seal. We traveled through a lot of rain and when we would put the slide out the floor was wet, front to back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back of slideIMG_2626.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	9665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Middle of slideIMG_2628.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	9666  

Old 04-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #6

THOR #4488
Okay, now I understand. I don't think the water is coming in under the slide in the gap you are referring to.

I had a problem with mine like you are saying...it only happened when the slide was in. In my case, since I did not drive it in rain, I discovered the issue when parked on a slight sideways tilt or driving rain on that side of the coach. After spending hours searching out the solution I finally discovered it. Here's what I did...

Put the slide out a few inches and run a garden house on the face of the slide. Be careful not to get the underside wet. Look underneath the slide. I found water dripping from screws that penetrated the membrane that encases the underside. It turns out the facia trim on the lower part of the slide was not caulked. Water would seep in and get under that membrane then leak into the coach coming out where ever it could find a break in the membrane.

It was never an issue when the slide was out because it just dripped on the ground, unnoticed by me.

Normal rains also weren't noticeable because of the way the coach is designed. There are weep cups at each end designed to hold the water wiped from the sides when retracting the slide.

Anyway, it was an easy fix. Just apply caulking to the top of the lower facia trim on the slide. I also then went around the rest of the coach and found caulking inadequate on the outside TV and the hot water heater.

I hope this fixes your problem.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #7

Model: 34J
State: Florida
THOR #8707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbadger777 View Post
My full side slide is bowed. It is difficult to use the coach because if we encounter a rain storm, water gets in where the seal is not making contact. It is tight on both ends but is bowed in the middle 3/4 to 1 inch. I have a July appointment in Wakarusa to have it looked at.
Question 1.I have thought about trying a slide lock to try to draw it in while traveling. Do you think that might work?
2. The middle of the slide must roll on something. I have no idea, what or how. can anyone enlighten me?
Its not as big of an issue as it seems. I have a 2017 34J and had the exact issue. Mine was out almost an inch and was causing the seal not to seal on the side of the coach.

Thor brought their own tech into Tampa to repair mine and he was done in just a few days.

It will require removing the bunk area and maybe some other cabinets. Once this is done they will use pressure to straighten the slide and then reinstall the cabinets and bunk area while slide is still under pressure.

When they were done ours was within an 1/8" from front to back. Really not as big a deal as i thought hit may have been. Good luck with your coach, we love ours!!

PM me if you have any questions, i have learned ALOT about dealing with Thor over the last 8 months