Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2017, 05:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
I, not expecting to, purchased new tires

Motorhome is a 2014 C Class miles with 19k. Date on tires were 1613, so manufactures less than 4.5 yrs ago. I was getting some very noticeable vibration in the steering wheel and in the seats. I've always watched the air pressure. Took it to my tire guru yesterday and he said they all showed some cracking on the sidewalls. That surprised me because I often drive it 20 or 30 miles just to "keep it movin" and it hits the road often. Oh well, baby got new shoes.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:59 PM   #2

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Good move, marginal tires are nothing to take lightly.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:54 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
.....cut...... Took it to my tire guru yesterday and he said they all showed some cracking on the sidewalls. That surprised me because I often drive it 20 or 30 miles just to "keep it movin" and it hits the road often. Oh well, baby got new shoes.

You did the right thing.

I also had cracking, at tire shoulders, and it was deemed cosmetic by state inspection; at a tire shop of all places. I also had Ford look at tires recently during oil change and they didn't think it was an issue.

A couple of months later (a few weeks ago) one blew at high speed on Interstate. Granted, mine were much older and with a lot more miles, but what stood out is that the rubber was a lot more dry rotted than it appeared. Once the tire blew at about 70 MPH, it rolled uninflated for a distance before I got off the road, and the sidewall rubber essentially crumbled. The rubber apparently just couldn't flex much at all without breaking into pieces.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #4

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
Thanks, gentlemen. Leaving after Labor Day,not sure exactly when, from NC up to Maine (be gone 4-6 weeks)and surely wasn't going to chance it. What a way to ruin an experience.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:44 PM   #5

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I recently had a tire that showed zero cracking anywhere, had better than 60% of the tread left, but was fairly old, literally disassemble on the freeway at speed, on an SUV I own. It was a violent experience, lost control for a bit, fought to keep from going into a spin, finally got to a stop, without hitting anything and no one else was involved. Did $5,000.00 damage to the car, can you imagine what the damage would have been to a motorhome? I am a true believer, if they are five or six years old, max, they are not to be trusted and need to be replaced.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:31 PM   #6

State: Florida
THOR #6333
Bought a 4 year old RV in 2000 a front tire went less than a year later. A tire from the new set went 5 years later. Replaced them w/ new tires the first tire in that group went 5 years later. The blow outs are very scary on the interstates. I'm a replace every 5 years guy now no matter.