Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2018, 10:43 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Sorry to hear that you feel as if you got taken to the cleaners.

...And I'm even sorrier to say, "Welcome to the Club"...

But it WILL get better: you just have to keep plugging away at it!

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:28 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: HAD Vegas 24.1
State: South Dakota
THOR #9657
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsjon View Post
I had a 2016 Winnebago/Itasca Solei. For two years it was a nightmare of continuous problems and poor service by CW. I bought a Thor Venetian a year ago and it has been a dream compared to my Winnebago. Luck of the draw unfortunately for many who get a bad coach or continual bad service.
Got you. Thanks to you, too, for providing some balance to disgruntled folks like me who had such a bad experience with a particular brand. It's true that continual bad service may have played even a stronger role than the stuff that occurred. I'm done if all you are :-). As he said "Luck of the draw".
Old 06-11-2018, 11:28 AM   #23

State: Florida
THOR #2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari2go View Post
Help, I bought a new 2017 THor Freedom elite. Has been HELL. So many issues but the biggest is water leaks. Thor took it back to the factory to replace the floor, but they didn’t fix the leak so I am right back where I started. They also returned my camper to me with more problems than it left with. They won’t return messages. I have done BBB report. I figure I will have to pay for this myself to be fixed like several other issues, but I am not having any luck finding anyone to help that. They like to charge me for a visit but won’t help with the problem. I am spending too much money getting nowhere. I have not even been able to take my camper out. Was suppose to be full time. Quit my job and gave up my house. A year later still in my brothers basement. How is it this industry is so screwed up?
Know how you can tell if you got a lemon? It has a Thor logo on it!
Old 06-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #24

State: Washington
THOR #10744
Sold a lemon too

[QUOTE=Kari2go;122610]Help, I bought a new 2017 THor Freedom elite. Has been HELL.

You may have to do what we did and hire a lawyer. We had to sue Camping World for some repairs to our 2015 Vegas. Has been one hell of a headache.
Last repair was this winter when one of two motors went "belly up" on our Dinette slide in Las Vegas of all places!. Lawyer said most of these Motorhome and trailer factories are mom and pop startups with no industry standards. We had a leak issue in the roof and had to reseal running lights and cap. Hope you can resolve your problem, we know what your going through.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:02 PM   #25

THOR #10744
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator View Post
Know how you can tell if you got a lemon? It has a Thor logo on it!
Boy you got that right.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #26
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
In their defense (I can't believe that I said that!): Thor isn't the only one in the industry with Quality Control problems...
Old 06-11-2018, 05:39 PM   #27

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
I'm having a hard time believing that Thor factory repair treated you like that after dealing with them last month. When we left their free hookup site they had taken care of all our issues and fixed things we didn't even know were a problem. The tech noticed that the door to the water heater was faded and dull looking so they put a new one on. They checked the roof sealer and took care of any issues there. No charge. Nothing but a great experience.
Same here. As I've written on other threads, Thor, Indiana, has taken SUCH good care of my coach for us, fixing everything that needed it, and then some! And, our coach is not under warranty! The problems we took it there for (leak) was well documented on the system since we had it in and out of CW repair, so that is why Thor was so happy to take care of it for us. The 'other' repairs they did for no charge...? Some we didn't know it was needed, and others were absolutely our own doing! Honestly, though... your rig is a 2017..? It shouldn't be costing you a cent! Where is your warranty??
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:43 PM   #28

THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by dPad2 View Post
Over $100 each time I had to go to dealer.
I guess I'm missing something here.... When you purchase a NEW coach/camper... doesn't it come with an automatic 1 year warranty?? Why do people end up paying for repairs within that warranty period? Also, if a repair was attempted, but not successful during warranty, wouldn't that work be covered even when the warranty expires? Mine was!
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Old 06-11-2018, 05:46 PM   #29

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Frankly all RV manufactures have QA problems, which is honestly how they can remain profitable. They hire unskilled and or low skill workers for their assembly lines, and pay the absolute minimum they can get away with. They usually have a high turnover rate as a result, so most are always in the learning curve. Yes some manufactures use cheaper materials, but that is not the real problem. You can have less expensive materials, that are correctly installed, outlast and out perform high end materials that are poorly and incorrectly installed.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:14 PM   #30

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #3559
You might trying writing to Motorhome magazine and seeing if they can assist. We have subscribed to Motorhome for many years and I have read with great interest some of the things they have been able to resolve. Just an idea......... Also, someone else mentioned the threat of suing - if you have done that, they probably won't talk to you except through a lawyer, sad but true. In my line of work, the minute someone mentions attorney or lawsuit my authority is over and so is the conversation.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:24 PM   #31

THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer3 View Post
You might trying writing to Motorhome magazine and seeing if they can assist. We have subscribed to Motorhome for many years and I have read with great interest some of the things they have been able to resolve. Just an idea......... Also, someone else mentioned the threat of suing - if you have done that, they probably won't talk to you except through a lawyer, sad but true. In my line of work, the minute someone mentions attorney or lawsuit my authority is over and so is the conversation.
Very true.
As far as MotorHome magazine goes, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's owned or affiliated with Winnebago.... right? As competitors, they'd be quick to take up such and issue, but certainly not unbiased. I wouldn't do it.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Old 06-11-2018, 10:30 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I just got my new copy: I'm going to have to check this "ownership and/or affiliation issue" out later tonight.
Thanks for bringing it up!
Old 06-12-2018, 02:00 AM   #33

State: Indiana
THOR #3972
We also bought from CW a 2014 Thor 4winds
We have had to fix numerous things thankfully I am married to retired carpenter
We recently had some electrical issues
No power when plugged in
Found melted wiring in transfer box
Rewired it changed the transfer switch and bought a surge protector
Installed a new counter top after fake corian too cracked first winter
It was then we found wiring for cable tv outlet not installed at factory
Reinforced kitchen cabinet so it stopped wobbling
Making it ours for sure
Quality is no longer a priority
Old 06-12-2018, 03:42 PM   #34

THOR #10744
We didn't sue Thor, we sued Camping World who sold us the Thor. Most of it was for not honoring the 1 year warranty (My toaster has a better warranty). In the end they finally had to pay us and we took it to a different place for repair. We are still finding problem but pay the price to fix it ourselves. Last one was the slide problem and hope that's the end of it.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #35

Model: Vegas 27.7
THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjlbrn View Post
We also bought from CW a 2014 Thor 4winds
We have had to fix numerous things thankfully I am married to retired carpenter
We recently had some electrical issues
No power when plugged in
Found melted wiring in transfer box
Rewired it changed the transfer switch and bought a surge protector
Installed a new counter top after fake corian too cracked first winter
It was then we found wiring for cable tv outlet not installed at factory
Reinforced kitchen cabinet so it stopped wobbling
Making it ours for sure
Quality is no longer a priority
This is what I worry about. There were at least a dozen wiring issues in our Vegas that could have ended up in a fire situation. I'm afraid we're going to start seeing more RV's bursting into flames in the near future. Wiring issues are the number one cause of fires in vehicles. I personally have seen and repaired the damage from hundreds of wiring caused fires in my career.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:06 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We jst had one of our Insureds lose their rig; when a neighboring unit caught fire due to... a wiring issue!