Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2019, 03:03 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Wisconsin
THOR #16282
electrical

2016 thor 25.3 hot solenoid. When looking at the engine from the front on the right hand side 2 large red cables going to solenoid have a constant 12v going across terminals. Very hot to the touch. Bad solenoid?
Thanks,
Sara

Old 08-08-2019, 01:41 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Hi, I am not familiar with your coach so not sure what the specific purpose of that relay (solenoid) actually is. Generally a relay allows higher current devices (like loads such as fans, lights etc) to be controlled by lower current devices (like switches). So on a basic 4 wire relay the operating coil winding is connected to the switch (low current device) and the heavy current loads being controlled are connected to the large relay load contacts. See attached simple diagram.
It “sounds” like you are saying the coil measures 12vdc across its terminals always and it feels very hot. If this relay has operated and closed its load contacts, there should be zero volts measured across those closed heavy load contacts......if those contacts are making good contact with each other and if they are both in good electrical conductive condition. If the heavy load contacts are in poor electrically conductive condition then they can form a resistance to current flow and can get hot when high currents try to pass through them.
So it might be worth investigating if its the coil winding or poor load contacts causing the high heating. If you are not comfortable testing the relay you could either replace it with a correct OEM unit or have an RV tech check things out.
If this relay coil is quite hot it may be a sign of shorted windings in the coil (this usually prevents proper operation of the relay though) or it might be normal if it is a relay designed for continuous duty (meant to be powered over longer time periods). Perhaps someone who owns a similar coach will advise on their similar relay; what it does and how hot it gets when powered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Relay Info.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	19494  
Old 08-08-2019, 02:36 PM   #3

Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
State: Colorado
THOR #5043
Most likely a Trombetta relay that has something like 35 watts of coil power. that's why so many fail. They simply bake to death. Too hot to lay your hand on. I changed to a much more lower White Rodgers relay that has about 8 watts coil power.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:49 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Trombetta relays are designed to self destruct! JMHO
Old 08-08-2019, 03:01 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0LCB View Post
Trombetta relays are designed to self destruct! JMHO
The contacts in mine went bad and I just replaced it. The new one took a while but it heats up pretty good. May have to change over to a BIM system when this one fails.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:44 PM   #6

THOR #16282
electrical

The relay was hot when the RV was off. As I found out the owners manual is not even good toilet paper. Can somebody tell me what this relay controls? I am guessing it is for the emergency start.
Thanks,
Sara
Old 08-09-2019, 08:32 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Is that an Axis or Vegas 25.3? If so most all of your questions will be answered by downloading and reading Ed's excellent crowd sourced owner's manual, found here:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:08 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
it's probably a solenoid for the connection between the Chassis battery(s) and the House battery(s) for the 'charging' flow, or the use of the 'AUX' or emergency start switch, which ties the two battery bank together also, momentarily.

The solenoid is controlled by another relay that senses when the Chassis batteries have reached a certain charge, by the Alternator, and switches to connect the two battery banks, sending the 'extra' power to the house batteries, and vice versa when you are plugged into 120v shore power, or the generator.

I have both a Trombetta, and a White Rogers.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:35 AM   #9

THOR #16282
electrical

Replaced soleniod all good. Downloaded Ed's manual thanks Ed .

Sara
Old 08-28-2019, 05:27 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #16016
Need help on below issue!
I'm having electrical issues. When I turn my car on the headlights blink off and on for about 5 min before stopping.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:00 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Morgan View Post
Need help on below issue!
I'm having electrical issues. When I turn my car on the headlights blink off and on for about 5 min before stopping.
There is a automatic resetting circuit breaker in your headlight switch. That the circuit breaker opens (lights go off when switch is on) indicates you have either overloaded the circuit or there is a sort in the light circuit - somewhere. Time for a search with a voltmeter.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote