Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2019, 05:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Arizona
THOR #10400
Irvine Slow Rise window shade advice

I bought my 2018 Thor Outlaw 29H last year and just had a window shade fail last week. I had the shades down while stored and came into the coach with the main big window shade in the living area unrolled, no spring action. So I took it apart and found a small clear plastic piece in the spring mechanism broken. Tried to epoxy it, no-go on that. After seeing a post on another thread here identifying the brand, Irvine Slow Rise, I saw they have replacement spring assemblies available. I called them today and a nice lady answered and took my address to send me a replacement. I was expecting to give her credit card info, and she didn't ask just said she would send one out! Wow, that's product support!

In addition, when I was looking for the brand I came across the post that had the link to the shade adjustment. I checked all mine in the coach and all of them were adjusted so the spring was really tight and the rise was fast. The problem with that is - the spring winds even tighter as you pull the shade down and puts a lot of stress on the little plastic rod piece that broke in mine. Leaving the shade down was leaving it in the most wound-up position and I'm sure that's what lead to my failure. So, I went around and adjusted all my shades for really slow rise (and readjusted the upper stop position) so that minimum spring tension is used to operate it. I suggest if you have the Irvine shades you do the same to avoid premature failure.

The YouTube adjustment videos are here:

Spring tension adjustment:

Stop position adjustment:

azadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:49 PM   #2

State: Michigan
THOR #12333
w

Great find azadv. Do you turn the end the opposite direction to loosen the spring? Our rig is not here right now so I can't check.
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:43 PM   #3

THOR #10400
Quote:
Originally Posted by funmoneypit View Post
Great find azadv. Do you turn the end the opposite direction to loosen the spring? Our rig is not here right now so I can't check.
Yep. As you adjust the spring tension you have to readjust the upper stop point.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:58 PM   #4

THOR #12333
Quote:
Originally Posted by azadv View Post
Yep. As you adjust the spring tension you have to readjust the upper stop point.
Thanks!
Old 08-13-2019, 03:22 AM   #5

THOR #10400
Received my FREE replacement shade spring mechanism from Irvine Shade & Door today and installed it. Excellent customer service and product support!
Old 08-20-2019, 02:16 AM   #6

THOR #12333
Just did all my blinds. Almost all of them were too tight!