Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2019, 03:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Georgia
THOR #14364
Extended Warranty on class A

Howdy All:

New to all the RVing stuff and have purchased a 2019 Aria 3901. Think we will enjoy it but have the never ending question of purchasing an extended warranty. Obviously have heard things about having and not having, don't buy on a new RV, you'll never get your money back, best thing I ever did, etc.

I purchased one from Wholesale Warranties (7yr/70000 mile) and while I love the piece of mind it offers, nothing would frustrate me more than having spent the money for it and have them turn me down for a claim because of an oil change or something crazy they might find in the small print of the contract.

I know it's a coin toss for many but for anyone who has had this type program work or not work for them, I would enjoy your thougts.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and hopefully we'll be hitting the road soon on our first major trip.

Tom

Old 02-25-2019, 05:56 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Well if you already purchased it just make sure you do all of the regular maintains that you can so they dont try to void it.

Most extended warrantees will allow you to cancel a year or two later (or at any point) and refund some money back to you. After the first year most bugs are worked out so you could gamble and cancel it a year later?? Just an idea.

I puchased a cheap Ext. War. on mine (Like $900 - $1000 for 5 years so it was hard to pass up) as well because it was my first RV. But now looking back I wish I didnt even bother since I fix everything myself (so far).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:48 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11266
Like you we purchased for the peace of mind. We do put a good bit of miles on our's. It doesn't sit long. I keep good maintenance records in a binder...just in case. And we also did not pay retail for the contract. Didn't take much negotiating and he knew he had a sale if he met my price. Hate paying for them, but I've also had the situation of a COSTLY repair only a couple hundred miles out of factory warranty. And these rigs have so much potential for failure after warranties expire. Time will tell if we made the right decision. Fingers crossed!!
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:34 AM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
It depends on your level of risk acceptance and your ability/willingness to do your own repairs. Most systems on RVs are pretty straightforward but there are a lot of them and not everyone is comfortable under the hood, so to speak. My advice is to read the fine print and know that many things are excluded - despite what the salesman tells you - and EVERYTHING is excluded if it’s not PREapproved by the warranty company. Ive had experience where the repair facility refused to get involved. Happy to do the repair but tell you that you will have to apply for reimbursement after the fact. That is very problematic so be careful.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:06 AM   #5

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
I am one to gamble on not buying into, since I mechanic on all my other vehicles, a jack of most all trades, and not afraid to be under the hood" sort of speak.

And, we have had some probs that took some troubleshooting to figure out, that and the tips from other's experiences in this forum, Thanks again y'all

If it made you more comfortable, all that matters, so don't worry about it, you done did it!

Just remember us, if and when something does go wrong, and it is not under the warranty, we will be glad to help! (you do the work though, LOL) unless you are camped in the same campground, I don't mind...
Old 02-26-2019, 05:40 AM   #6

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinegar View Post
Howdy All:

New to all the RVing stuff and have purchased a 2019 Aria 3901. Think we will enjoy it but have the never ending question of purchasing an extended warranty. Obviously have heard things about having and not having, don't buy on a new RV, you'll never get your money back, best thing I ever did, etc.

I purchased one from Wholesale Warranties (7yr/70000 mile) and while I love the piece of mind it offers, nothing would frustrate me more than having spent the money for it and have them turn me down for a claim because of an oil change or something crazy they might find in the small print of the contract.

I know it's a coin toss for many but for anyone who has had this type program work or not work for them, I would enjoy your thougts.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and hopefully we'll be hitting the road soon on our first major trip.

Tom
We purchased ext warrantee from Wholesale Warranties as well plus tire replacement coverage for the same reasons.
CW tried to force us into buying ext warrantee from them (Good Sam) for about 12 grand. A week or so later it was 9 grand and so on.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:52 PM   #7

State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
I am also looking into an extended warranty. I am not at all handy with repairs. Actually, my motto for repairing anything more than a fix with a screwdriver or hammer is “call the man (woman)”. The prices for warranties are ridiculous. A Good Sam warranty for three years with $500 deductible is over $1000. That’s $3,000 total for coverage. Is there anything that could breakdown that would cost $3,500 to repair, because that is what the total expense would be if I have only one repair. Wholesale warranties was pretty close in price. Any advice?
Old 03-06-2019, 05:21 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
I would call the warrantee companies up and Counter offer them something and see what they say.

But make sure you get everything in writing before you pay a penney. They might drop something you need or want to lower your price.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:07 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
And know that CW is very willing to negotiate the price of coverage though it sounds like you’ve already got them down quite a bit from where they often start. I’d suggest reading the fine print carefully. The dealer will say that everything is covered but typically there are MANY exclusions and EVERYTHING is excluded if the repair is not preauthorized by the warranty company. Sometimes getting approval is tiresome and often your repair shop will tell you that they do not want to get involved leaving it up to you. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:51 AM   #10

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
All I know is almost every time I buy an extended warranty, I won't need it... but every time I don't, I wish I had!
The one and only time I benefited, was the first time on a new T-bird at 90k miles and a month before it expired (5yr, unlimited mile), I took it in for a bumper to bumper "just in case" check and a slightly smoking engine on start up netted me a whole new engine under warranty!

Tags
extended warranty