Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2019, 12:59 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Siesta 24 SA
State: South Carolina
THOR #13919
ITS 39R Time Delay Board

My ITS 30R transfer switch is not switching when I crank up the generator.
If I close the main contacts manually the power goes to the breaker panel. I am guessing it is the Delay circuit board that is bad. Am I on the right track and if so where can I buy the circuit board?
Thanks;
Harry

Old 02-24-2019, 02:30 AM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Attached is a link to the ITS-30R transfer switch manual. Under troubleshooting look at section “Failed Time Delay Module” which describes a LED light on the control board that indicates the status of the board. They say the control board can fail due to voltage spikes. Of course it could also be a bad terminal connection; or bad transfer relay as well. I assume it has been working normally until now (in other words no one has been in there making changes or it was not recently installed?).

I would try searching the ITS-30R for OEM parts on Amazon or eBay and failing that try the manufacturer.

http://www.nooutage.com/pdf/Iota-30rmanual.pdf
Old 02-25-2019, 06:47 PM   #3

THOR #13919
The green LED light on the circuit board does not light up with the switch in the ON or #1 position with the generator running but like I said in the first post, if I close the contactor manually full power is going to the coach. What does this point to? Is there a fuse between the generator and the delay relay?
Harry
Old 02-25-2019, 08:16 PM   #4

THOR #2631
Hi, well the shore power transfer switch is under the operational control of the generator AC output. When the 120VAC from the generator is on the timer in the transfer switch starts its cycle (typically 30 seconds delay after start of generator) and then the timer board will connect power to the transfer relay coil to operate the switchover from shore contacts to generator output contacts. The transfer relay removes the shore power connections (it does not matter if shore power is connected or not) and connects the generator output connections to the coach AC panel and its loads. When you manually operate the transfer relay you are proving that the generator output can be connected to the coach AC panel.
The manual link I previously enclosed says (I think) that when the generator starts and sends 120VAC to the timer board, after the 30 seconds delay the LED light on the timer board should be lit indicating that it is sending 120VAC to the transfer relay coil. If the LED does not light after the generator starts plus about 30 seconds delay, the control board is not working correctly. Note that the transfer relay coil could also be bad.....but start by replacing the timer board. You may find that it is cheaper (under $100) and easier to just replace the entire transfer switch (age of coach?) and then keep the working parts of the old one for future emergency spares. If you are not familiar with AC circuits be careful to work on the transfer switch with gen and shore power off or get a licensed electrician to help you.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:22 PM   #5

THOR #13919
I am going to call IOTA Corp. tomorrow. By going to their site it looks like they don't make the ITS transfer switch's anymore but maybe they can give me a source for the control board. If they cannot source me, Amazon still sells the whole ATF unit.
Either way is a pain as it is located under the drawers under the cooktop. I have to reach through the drawer openings. I will have to cut out the cross piece between the top two drawers so I can get my arms in and when I'd done fasten it back in.
Harry
Old 02-26-2019, 12:53 AM   #6

THOR #2631
Unfortunately it does seem like this ITS-30R transfer switch may be discontinued. Calling the manufacturer is a good idea as they may come through with a timer control board for you at least (or reduced cost complete unit). There are lots of equivalent transfer switches on the market, but of course either a repair or replacement is going to be an access pain for you by the sounds of things. Too bad you can’t remove the face frame of your complete drawer section to give full open access for the repair, but that might cause more damage. I wonder how any RV repair tech would repair/replace it if access is so bad? Good luck.