Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Answer my question in the post using this poll...
Choice #1 1 2.78%
Choice #2 17 47.22%
Choice #3 5 13.89%
Choice #4 16 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
State: Virginia
THOR #6692
From the RVIA page. they represent who?

"Shipments steadily increased to more than 500,000 units in 2017 compared to 430,700 units in 2016."

Old 06-12-2018, 10:56 AM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 23U
State: Missouri
THOR #8692
Isn't there supposed to be a swing down table leg or support on the far edge of this table? If not, it is a very poor design! Ugh!
Old 06-12-2018, 12:05 PM   #43
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
With so many people blaming Camping World and various other dealerships why not displace the blame on them while they continue to build crap and dump it on the market, then when you call to complain about the dealers they are all of sudden your new best friend. They never did agree to correct all of my issues so I chose not to get any of it fixed. I've got 12,000 miles on my 2018 and will add a few more thousand yet this year and everywhere I go I use my unit to show people what kind of crap they can expect from Thor. Sure they all produce lemons... but I'm using my story to hopefully get buyers to buy someone else's lemon... not a THOR! #ThorLacksIntegrity
At least the O.P. is fixing his rig, and will be able to enjoy it to it's fullest potential.
You seem to be enjoying the fact that you're "cutting off your own nose; to spite your face."

Good luck... I hope that this all works out for you.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #44

Model: Compass 23TR
THOR #8465
Two, three and four.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:41 PM   #45

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
yep, pretty bad.... unless someone was sitting or leaning hard on the table.

I guess not likely, but I can imagine that it might be possible for screws into the frame to pull out. The frame is only tubular metal, and that is a lot of bending moment out there at the end of that table.

Regardless, the quality is pretty sad sometimes
Old 06-12-2018, 08:18 PM   #46

State: Washington
THOR #1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Pirate View Post
Maybe Start posting a pic every day on their Facebook page. I assume that they have one. Might also want to post them on any RV group pages on Facebook and tag Thor in the posts. Let them feel your pain.
I had this happen to me. I went to Home Depot and in every hole I installed large metal anchors. Then the screws screw into the anchors. Thor had just used screws into the wall. Obviously that didn't last long.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:02 PM   #47

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
Option 1

All the others are a lot of work and it won't result in any improvement of quality. I am stuck too, 2018 ACE 30.3. Lots of problems. One like yours in that the inside grab rail was only anchored in the "cardboard" and pulled right out in the first couple of days. Outside tv would not play through outside speakers. Bad wire
2. Black and grey dump valves reversed. Assembled backwards. Thor pays CW for re-doing of the assembly, they completely botched the fix and made the situation worse.
3. Filling fresh water tank resulted in water coming out inside and out, in two compartments too.
Fill hose not attached at fill fitting. I fixed it.
4. Front bunk would not come down.
Bad wire connection at left motor. I fixed it.

Now I find through these forums that a guy found the steel supports on the main slide are installed backwards and therefore useless. He provided good pictures of this and, of course, mine are backwards too.
I am trying for an appointment with thor to fix this and replacement for the black water tank that CW butchered because of incompetence.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:19 PM   #48

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceMan View Post
All the others are a lot of work and it won't result in any improvement of quality. I am stuck too, 2018 ACE 30.3. Lots of problems. One like yours in that the inside grab rail was only anchored in the "cardboard" and pulled right out in the first couple of days. Outside tv would not play through outside speakers. Bad wire
2. Black and grey dump valves reversed. Assembled backwards. Thor pays CW for re-doing of the assembly, they completely botched the fix and made the situation worse.
3. Filling fresh water tank resulted in water coming out inside and out, in two compartments too.
Fill hose not attached at fill fitting. I fixed it.
4. Front bunk would not come down.
Bad wire connection at left motor. I fixed it.

Now I find through these forums that a guy found the steel supports on the main slide are installed backwards and therefore useless. He provided good pictures of this and, of course, mine are backwards too.
I am trying for an appointment with thor to fix this
and replacement for the black water tank that CW butchered because of incompetence.
Please don't take your coach to Thor to "fix" this. It was a mistake on my part, I made a wrong assumption and posted too quickly. Your slide "supports" are fine. I'm trying to get that thread deleted so it doesn't cause anymore problems for people that don't read the entire thread.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:04 AM   #49

THOR #10907
Update on the dinette table...

Behind the interior wallboards in these RV's there's usually one of three things-

It's either simply one layer of wallboard which is pretty much like fancy cardboard. Screwing anything into this is just like screwing into cardboard.

Or it's the cardboard outside layer with a layer of thin sheet metal or tin behind it. Screwing into this is slightly better, but strips easily and won't hold much weight.

Or it actually has the aluminum framing behind it. Obviously if you find the framing, you can screw into it and secure a fair amount of weight.

Behind the dinette table mount there are NO frame members. There is mostly just the cardboard, but there are two 1.5" wide sections running vertical that have the tin backing. The guys at Thor managed to miss the tin backing areas with everyone of the 16 screws that put in my table mount! So I tried to secure the mount with screws, no dice, they just weren't going to hold strong enough. Instead of screws, I drilled 1/4" holes in the mount and wall where the tin backing was. I then put the mount up to the wall with construction adhesive and secured it with 16 1/4" steel rivets. It's literally part of the wall, there's no way it's coming off now!

So for those of you that have wiggly dinette tables because the screws are pulling out of the wall, don't bother trying to put bigger screws in it, just use 1/4" rivets. I also reinforced the table top with two 3' sections of C channel on the outside edges, and a section of wider/heavier C channel down the center. I replaced the 1/4" bolts in the support arms with 5/16" bolts and put spacers in between the channels so I could tighten down the bolts without bending the cheap/flimsy channel.

The end result is just a tad more secure. haha. Too bad I had to waste a full day fixing something that Thor just didn't give a damn about doing right in the first place.

BTW, for those that wondered if somebody leaned on it. Ummmm no. It was literally the first time we used the table. The only weight it had on it was our dinner, which almost ended up on the floor. When they try to support a table by screwing into a cardboard wall, chances are it's only going to hold until the coach leaves the dealership. Oh wait, that's as far as they need them to last. Duh.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:43 AM   #50

State: Virginia
THOR #6337
2015 Axis

Bad seals all around
Horrible windshield sealing
Bathroom faucets quit
Outside shower quit
Outside TV quit
Outside TV door warped
Rear light gaskets like foam rubber; numerous lights replaced
Chassis AC quits
Leaky chassis compartments
Warped interior compartment doors

All in a RV with only 6100 miles. 95K worth of pure crap.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:09 AM   #51

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Bad seals all around
Horrible windshield sealing
Bathroom faucets quit
Outside shower quit
Outside TV quit
Outside TV door warped
Rear light gaskets like foam rubber; numerous lights replaced
Chassis AC quits
Leaky chassis compartments
Warped interior compartment doors

All in a RV with only 6100 miles. 95K worth of pure crap.

Shouldn’t have to fix this stuff - for sure. But seems like easy stuff to fix and/or warranty stuff. I’d bet that once you get these bugs out you’ll get good service. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:10 AM   #52

THOR #1228
We spent nearly two years getting our rig fixed correctly. But now that it is we are going strong and using it a lot. I spent lot of time under around and on top of our rig not counting the months of time in the shop.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:42 AM   #53

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Unless you have a four leg "residential" style table, ALL RV dinettes are fragile...even the post mounted type. I ALWAYS initially brief guest on how RV's are built a bit lighter in quality than a house so please be careful and gentle with the features. This dinette seems to have suffered extreme downward pressure from what appears to be someone using their forearms and body weight to lift them up as they slide out of the booth...or possibly someone sat on it. It's a common practice most people use...watch them next time your out somewhere...when people getting up from a table or out of a booth. Not saying the quality of build isn't a contributor to the failure but it would take a lot of weight and/or downward pressure to pull that table from the wall...16 screws and all. I have the same dinette and feel the design and strength is very good (especially the 45 degree angled support) ...as long as you "watch your guest" and circumvent any issues you see in the making.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #54
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
GMtech,
I know that this won't sound good; bear with me...

If this problem had to happen to anyone: having it happen to you is probably one of the better scenarios. After all: you have the skills with which to fix it, and advise everybody else of the cure...

Not that I'm wishing misfortune on you...
Old 06-21-2018, 02:14 PM   #55

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
A little over a year ago (our previous 37GT) we had CW install w/d and winegard sat dish. They did a super horrible job but too long of a story to repost. One of the things they did was to break the table, similar to what the OP posted, all the screws pulled out from the wall. Of course they just sort of shoved it back up and didn't say anything. We didn't notice it until we were on the road and it started tilting down.

Anyway, I got 2-part epoxy and filled the holes plus smeared it along the brace where it went back against the wallboard, shoved the screws back into the holes and let it set up. The only way that table was coming off the wall was if the whole wall came with it.

Our unit was a 2015 Challenger, so Thor has been screwing up installing these types of tables for awhile now.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #56

THOR #11130
So...Camping World broke the table and you blame it on Thor for screwing up the installation?? But...it worked fine since you bought it (a 2015) until Camping World got their hands on it??
Old 06-21-2018, 02:43 PM   #57

Model: Compass 24 TF, Mercedes
THOR #11249
I have the exact same table in my 2018 Compass 24 TF and the exact same thing happened to ours. The dealer just put more screws in and I doubt they hit anything other than the cardboard wall either.. I'm probably going to make a semi permanent leg for the front just to make sure it doesn't fall again.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:06 PM   #58

THOR #11130
There is a fold down, snap-up adjustable aluminum leg made for that purpose...the kind used on fold down tables on boats and smaller RV's, etc. I thought about installing one of those...just for people that don't understand what "eggshell construction" really is. The "exiting the booth" scenario I described above is account for 90% of RV dinette table failures. I had a friend rip the entire circular base out of the floor of a boat because he was too fat to lift his own weight to stand up.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:35 PM   #59

THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Unless you have a four leg "residential" style table, ALL RV dinettes are fragile...even the post mounted type. I ALWAYS initially brief guest on how RV's are built a bit lighter in quality than a house so please be careful and gentle with the features. This dinette seems to have suffered extreme downward pressure from what appears to be someone using their forearms and body weight to lift them up as they slide out of the booth...or possibly someone sat on it. It's a common practice most people use...watch them next time your out somewhere...when people getting up from a table or out of a booth. Not saying the quality of build isn't a contributor to the failure but it would take a lot of weight and/or downward pressure to pull that table from the wall...16 screws and all. I have the same dinette and feel the design and strength is very good (especially the 45 degree angled support) ...as long as you "watch your guest" and circumvent any issues you see in the making.

Sorry Gritz but that's not what happened. The only people that have been in or sat at that dinette so far have been people that have owned or been around RV's their entire life. My wife and I both grew up with parents that had RV's and boats, and we bought our first Class C when we were 23 years old.

This was NOT an issue with misuse. ANYONE that understands physics would realize that the mounting of this table wasn't going to work. The screws are into cardboard. Cardboard isn't a very structurally sound material. Even if they would have gotten a few of the screws into the metal backed areas, that material is also VERY THIN and would not support anywhere near what the normal stresses that table would see. The areas that have metal backing have a single layer behind the cardboard that is about the thickness of a beer can. I found no actual framing behind where the table mounts. I believe the only actual framing is around the windows. (I'll find out the answer to that soon when I take out the stupid airplane windows and put in a huge single window over the dinette like Thor should have in the first place. What idiot in marketing thought the target RV buyer would rather look at a giant TV screen than look outside? Are they trying to get the Millennial market?)

So I also don't believe CW would have "broken" Joe-FL's table had it been installed or engineered properly in the first place. Neither of those was done to mine, and I can guaranty the majority of the rest of the tables out there are similarly "fragile". I have $100 saying a 200 pound guy can sit on the end of my dinette table and it wouldn't rip out of the wall now.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:05 PM   #60
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Please let us know what you find, as the tinkering process continues...
I've got to climb up on the roof of mine; to change out the vent caps...
Eventually: we'll add solar panels up there. It'd be nice to know what we'll be climbing on!