Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2017, 10:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #10032
Slide problem

Went to put my slide out this afternoon and it bound up. I retracted it and tried again and it bound up and went dead. I did the over ride by pressing the button 6 times and holding it for the seventh. It worked and I was able to get the slide in. I looked things over and tried to use the slide. It acted like I had no power. Does the thing need to be reset or something ?

Old 12-06-2017, 11:20 PM   #2

State: Virginia
THOR #3395
Look under the slide and be sure nothing binding the rollers. Just take a little time and examine the mechanism. I had a double a battery roll under the dinette and was caught in a roller. 2014 33sw Thor
Old 12-06-2017, 11:34 PM   #3

THOR #10032
I'm going to check that out but the first thing I'm try to figure out is why there is no power?
Old 12-06-2017, 11:37 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
The slides run on 12V power so if you think there is no power, you may need to run the generator if you are not on shore power and charging. I believe there is an interlock when the engine is running that prevents the motors from getting power as well.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:55 PM   #5

THOR #3395
Agree with power check. I usually operate the slide with generator running or on shore power and ALWAYS level. No problem to disconnect the motor terminals from the controller and reconnect. May give a reset. Also once operational be sure motors are synchronized.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:02 AM   #6

THOR #3395
As above be sure engine is off and key out of switch.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:44 AM   #7

THOR #10032
I'm hooked to shore power, truck is off with keys out of ignition . I think I'll try disconnecting the motors. Does it have a fuse somewhere ?
Old 12-07-2017, 02:01 AM   #8

THOR #3395
Not certain but surely a 12v fuse someplace. I bet it is not a fuse just the controller has you locked out so to speak. I would disconnect everything from the controller and reconnect. Also I have an intermittent issue with the extend retract switch. I have to press it twice sometimes to get the motors to activate.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #9

Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: Florida
THOR #7853
Make sure your power wire leading to the slide motor didn't get unplugged or is loose. Happened to me. The wires on ours are behind the wood trim pieces where the slide meet s the wall.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:49 AM   #10

THOR #10032
Ok, went out and tried to do the over ride again and nothing . The controller was flashing 1 green then 9 red. That's hall power short to ground. I'm not sure how long it has to be disconnected to clear codes ? Anyone had this code and fix it ?
Old 12-08-2017, 03:57 AM   #11

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Quote:
Also I have an intermittent issue with the extend retract switch. I have to press it twice sometimes to get the motors to activate.
Same here, but it is a reset, not an intermittent problem. I read about it on the forum here but for the life of me cannot remember the reason for it. It will come to me maybe tomorrow. Whoa! Here it is! That was quick. I think it has to do with the Use/Store switch. Once switched to store, then back to Use, the extend/retract switch must be pushed once for reset, then again to operate. When operating the slide and leaving the switch in Use when traveling I never have to operate the switch twice, only when switched to Store then back to Use.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:51 AM   #12

THOR #3395
Thanks for the information. GREAT to know that it's not an impending issue. Resets are easy to work with.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #13

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Hall short to ground = cable problem. Fact that you are getting any indication from the LED's says 12v is present to the controller. You would need an ohm meter to test the cables for a break.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #14

THOR #3395
Problem started with binding. Again look under slide inside and follow wires that are most likely just laying on the floor and susceptible to getting caught in the rollers. Need a good light and best viewed with slide extended
Old 12-09-2017, 03:27 AM   #15

THOR #10032
Left the controller unplugged all night just to see if it would reset, of course it didn't. Crawled under the vehiccle just to make sure there wasn't anything obvious . Found this from a trouble shooting manual on the net:
NoTE: The "9" error code signifies a short in the red or black wire on the motor. Replace the motor.
Called and set up an appointment to take it in. It's still under warranty cause it's only a month old. I really want to learn how to fix things myself but I don't want to tear something up and void the warranty.
When you try to look under the slide with it extended do you do it from the inside or outside the rig?
Also I tried disconnecting the motor wires thinking it might clear the code but it didn't.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:29 PM   #16

Model: Chateau 35SD
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8439
Slide problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonjack View Post
Left the controller unplugged all night just to see if it would reset, of course it didn't. Crawled under the vehiccle just to make sure there wasn't anything obvious . Found this from a trouble shooting manual on the net:

NoTE: The "9" error code signifies a short in the red or black wire on the motor. Replace the motor.

Called and set up an appointment to take it in. It's still under warranty cause it's only a month old. I really want to learn how to fix things myself but I don't want to tear something up and void the warranty.

When you try to look under the slide with it extended do you do it from the inside or outside the rig?

Also I tried disconnecting the motor wires thinking it might clear the code but it didn't.

There are some great videos on YouTube that cover troubleshooting and changing out the motor. One of my motors came unplugged. https://youtu.be/DviEbWT3lUo

wenz
Old 12-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #17

THOR #3395
I was able to get the best look at wiring under the slide on the inside. Wires laying on the floor unsecured that could easily get caught up in the rollers. Also found a triple a battery had rolled under the slide and jammed in a roller. Need a good light and be flat on your tummy. I have had my 33sw full wall slide for 2yrs. It has multiple potential problems as seen on this and other forums. I keep it well lubricated will CRC super lube. Have adjusted a roller and shimmed a track. You are wise to spend lots of time figuring out how things work and fixing yourself. You can waste month's in repair shops otherwise. Much of what I have learned and subsequently been able to fix was found here on this amazing forum. We are starting a 2yr adventure and will be remote most of the time. I fully expect problems but for the most part have enjoyed diagnosing and fixing stuff so far.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:36 PM   #18

THOR #10032
Thanks Bduck100 . Does this sound right. To get the slide out without power I need to go to the controller and disconnect the wires that go to each motor. That releases the brakes and then the slide can be pushed out by hand ?
Old 12-10-2017, 09:42 PM   #19
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonjack View Post
Thanks Bduck100 . Does this sound right. To get the slide out without power I need to go to the controller and disconnect the wires that go to each motor. That releases the brakes and then the slide can be pushed out by hand ?
That is the correct procedure... But don't overlook the 'fine print' that it may take some effort.

Never tried pushing them out... But took 4-5 of us to push IN my bedroom slide and 7 of us couldn't budge the living room slide.

Probably less places to push and get some leverage going out.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:51 PM   #20

THOR #3395
Correct. Either disconnect at the motors or the controller. If that doesn't work, then motors need to be disconnected from the gear shaft. This is done by unscrewing a set screw found under the weather stripping outside the RV. This screw holds the motor in place and once removed allows you to lift the motor out of driveshaft. To access screw, slide needs to be out 3 or 4 inches. My slide is 28ft long and can only be moved if several people are available to push it. Good luck.