Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2016, 11:34 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Thanks, install of the accumulator looks like another project. Mr. Sunshine, where did you get the .7 liter unit? I'll be looking at space available around the pump. What is the "easiest" path to get at the water pump?

I'll take the pump apart and clean the check valves during install.

I'll also do some pictures...maybe try my hand at a video.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Thanks, install of the accumulator looks like another project. Mr. Sunshine, where did you get the .7 liter unit? I'll be looking at space available around the pump. What is the "easiest" path to get at the water pump?
I'll take the pump apart and clean the check valves during install.
I'll also do some pictures...maybe try my hand at a video
Doc

CW has the Shurflo accumulator tank on internet special for around $42. It measures roughly 9 x 4 x 3.5 inches.

The easiest path on a 25.2 is to prop the jack knife sofa about halfway. I mounted the tank directly to the pump. Your 24.1 may require routing a hose to the tank.

While in there, I removed and checked the little water filter. Almost no debris in it. (There were some plastic shavings in it when the coach was new.)
Old 12-02-2016, 03:05 PM   #23

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Colorado
THOR #1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
I have only one winter under my belt so these questions go out to those more senior RV'ers out there. This past weekend we were camping in the NC mountains and the temp dropped to 28 degrees and it froze the water line (hose) into the RV from the campground source. No frozen pipes or damage inside but I was wondering what others did to prevent the outside hose from freezing.

Doc
Coming late to this discussion, apologies.

I researched heated hoses and was not satisfied with what I read. It looked like most complaints were that the Camco hose wouldn't work after the first season. I didn't want to over $100 that was only good for one season.

Further poking around the web found that a bunch of folks made their own. This is what I ended up doing. Using a standard RV water hose, I wrapped the hose in foil, put the hose into a pipe insulator (found at Lowes, HD, etc), and then laid heat tape on top of the hose - leaving enough tape exposed at the park connection end to wrap the spigot and supply pipe. And then wrapping in duct tape to seal. There are several videos on you tube showing the process.

When we first picked up our RV we went to a park near the dealership. This was in Feb and the temperatures for the week were in the single digits at night and never rose above 20-25 during the day. Using my homemade hose, I never had a problem with my water supply and never turned it off.

It is kind of bulky though. I keep it stored in a plastic bin when not in use.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #24

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
I'm not sure if our blue heated water hose was a Camco or some other brand, it cost around $120.00 back in 2012. I do know it worked great during the 3 years or so we needed it. We still carry it just in case. I know a lot of friends that make their own and they work good also.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #25

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg84 View Post
Coming late to this discussion, apologies.

I researched heated hoses and was not satisfied with what I read. It looked like most complaints were that the Camco hose wouldn't work after the first season. I didn't want to over $100 that was only good for one season.

Further poking around the web found that a bunch of folks made their own. This is what I ended up doing. Using a standard RV water hose, I wrapped the hose in foil, put the hose into a pipe insulator (found at Lowes, HD, etc), and then laid heat tape on top of the hose - leaving enough tape exposed at the park connection end to wrap the spigot and supply pipe. And then wrapping in duct tape to seal. There are several videos on you tube showing the process.

When we first picked up our RV we went to a park near the dealership. This was in Feb and the temperatures for the week were in the single digits at night and never rose above 20-25 during the day. Using my homemade hose, I never had a problem with my water supply and never turned it off.

It is kind of bulky though. I keep it stored in a plastic bin when not in use.

Hope this helps.
This is what we did for my daughter while she was in MD; minus the foil. The owner of the CG helped out with directions.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:47 PM   #26

Model: Hurricane 31K
THOR #3520
Keep in mind that water does not compress. The only way to have water flowing after the pump stops is to have an air trap in the system where air under pressure will push water out. This is the principle of having an accumulator in the system. Water pushed into the accumulator compresses air already in the accumulator. When the pump has built full pressure it stops and the air expands to push water back out until the pump restarts. The accumulator lets the pump run longer but start and stop less often. Good for the pump.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 12-02-2016, 10:55 PM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Thanks for all the information and suggestions.

Today I picked up a 12ft "Easy Heat water pipe freeze protection". I got it home and read the instructions provided. A couple of bummers:"...do not use on drain lines, fuel lines or hoses" and "can not be buried or come in contact with the ground". Well, looks like a trip back to Lowes and then to elsewhere in search of heat tape or a heated hose.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote