Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2017, 10:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
Leak from overhead amber marker lights... and then something new!

The leak.
You know it puts a real damper on things when you spend two really nice days at an RV park only to find water on the driver's seat the morning you have to leave. The water evidently came from leaks around one or two of the overhead marker lights which migrated to the driver's side area. We dried things out inside and during a lull in the rain showers I went on top and applied narrow strips of Eternabond tape around the bases of all the lenses. We drove through some heavy rains on our wat to Birmingham and haven't seen any more leake but we are at a campground for the evening and will see how the repair holds up since it's raining again/still/more! Oh well, the rain should wash off the salt spray and the bugs😞

The "something new".
One thing I did notice, when I was investigating things, is that there is not one bit of insulation in the cabover cap. Is that typical for Thor's Sprinter Class C's? I only have the Synergy brochure and it doesn't give any indication of insulation whatsoever between that front fiberglass cap and the interior "liner".

Thanks for any feedback and we really do enjoy "Ming" even with all of its peculiarities.

KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:04 PM   #2

Model: Ace 30.2
State: Washington
THOR #5063
I have an Ace and there is no insulation in the front cap. I think there's a post on here where someone talked about putting insulation in there as far as they could reach.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:41 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
It's a shame that those guys at the factory can't figure out how to use caulking, they don't use any on the clearance lights & gob it on the roof like they get paid by the tube.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:34 AM   #4

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
I got pissed off at the cab over lights out and full of water...I dicor around them
No more water issues.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:34 AM   #5

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
Clearance lights- Mine repaired by dealer when new, " if the lens have any moisture inside they are leaking and need to be re-sealed".

My Siesta has insulation in the forward cap. Can see it when you remove light fixtures and also the outline of the insulated area shows up outside with heavy dew.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:42 AM   #6

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemate View Post
I got pissed off at the cab over lights out and full of water...I dicor around them
No more water issues.
Mine had water in them from the day I bought it. Could never get them sealed so I gave up and replaced the entire fixtures with a LED model.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:49 AM   #7

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Mine had water in them from the day I bought it. Could never get them sealed so I gave up and replaced the entire fixtures with a LED model.
Ford Truck LED Cab Marker Light These are what I ended up replacing them all with. The LED lights in the amber lens are a sealed unit.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:01 AM   #8

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I don't have moisture in my front cab lights. When I had to replace a bulb, I noticed that someone had applied a bit of silicon caulk around and on the screw head that is used used to hold the lens down.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:54 AM   #9

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I don't have moisture in my front cab lights. When I had to replace a bulb, I noticed that someone had applied a bit of silicon caulk around and on the screw head that is used used to hold the lens down.
I took mine all apart and did that to the screw. Still got moisture in them....
Old 07-04-2017, 12:28 PM   #10

THOR #2817
Quote:
Ford Truck LED Cab Marker Light These are what I ended up replacing them all with. The LED lights in the amber lens are a sealed unit.
Those are nice looking lights and the fact that they are LEDs is great. I wonder if they are brighter than the originals. $19 each is not cheap, but compared to general RV replacement replacement parts they are a bargain.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:04 PM   #11

THOR #3483
I am pretty satisfied with them since they have multiple diodes. LED lights look brighter to me. LED technology is amazing. I would like to see the industry go to full LED technology for exterior lighting. The only place they used it on the 2016 Axis was the front side corner running light. They didn't even put one in that serves as a turn signal.... I found a replacement fixture for that too so now at least we have a side turn signal.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:52 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
I am pretty satisfied with them since they have multiple diodes. LED lights look brighter to me. LED technology is amazing. I would like to see the industry go to full LED technology for exterior lighting. The only place they used it on the 2016 Axis was the front side corner running light. They didn't even put one in that serves as a turn signal.... I found a replacement fixture for that too so now at least we have a side turn signal.
Where did you find the side fixture? Sounds like a worthwhile addition.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:52 PM   #13

THOR #2817
Quote:
I agree that LEDs should be used on all lights in all vehicles. Many motorcycle manufacturers are using only LEDs. I am surprised that our Prius' don't have all LED lights, but the directional lights front and rear, and well as the cab lights on the 2010 models are incandescents. Some 2010 model Prius' use LED headlights.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:05 AM   #14

THOR #3433
I haven't had any leaks since I put strips of Eternabond around the bases of all the amber lenses.

I am still puzzled as to why there is no insulation either on the inside of the fiberglass cap or on the back side of the interior headliner. There was one earlier response that the owner of a 2016 Citation (Sprinter too) did have insulation in that area so hopefully that is a good sign. If insulation has to be added it will be tough to take the moulded headliner apart - if that is even practical. I will be returning a call from Customer Care and go from there.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2017, 11:29 PM   #15

THOR #3433
Reply from Customer Care

I talked to Daniel about the amber markers and the lack of insulation between the fiberglass "shell" above the cabover bunk and the interior liner.

The ambsr markers on my model are push-on lenses with LED lights. Hopefully I can remove the lens without breaking something. The cavity between the fiberglass shell and the interior liner does not have insulation which seems odd since there would be a lot of heat gain there from summer sun exposure.

Any way, that is the end of this story. Thank you all for the comments.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:38 PM   #16

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Leaks and more, much much more

Well we took our new 2017 Synergy 24tt out for it's first week trip which turned into 2 weeks of misery. What a nightmare it was down at South Padre Island Texas in 105 degree heat with no LP, or AC for awhile and a roof that leaked like a sieve. After just one trip here is my repair list for General RV in Wayland, Michigan. We are taking the coach to them today.

1. Air bag light on (driver’s seat wires?)
2. In dash radio extremely poor reception on the road
Coach radio extremely bad reception on the road
Dealer installed antenna booster fell off windshield and never really fixed the reception issues.

3. Coach blue ray only plays standard DVDs won’t play blue ray

4. Roof AC dripped considerable condensation into coach onto floor and also deposited moisture on interior coach surfaces overnight.

5. Passenger seat belt locks up on shoulder preventing movement.

6. Roof leaked above stove bad water ran down cabinets.

7. Skylight leaked very badly water literally ran into the coach.

8. Rooftop AC and interior 120v quit (possibly needs power transfer switch replaced according to Thor)

9. LP regulator quit in first week (replaced on the road)

10. Three cargo latches malfunctioning.

11. Wipers fail to contact/clean windshield correctly.

12. Bath door screws fell out.

13. Bath shelf/ 4-5 screws fell out.

14. Toilet lid won't stay in open position/lid drops on its own.

15. Black and Grey tanks will not empty if there is a tight seal at dump opening on ground.

16. Control center level indicators for LP, black water, gray water, fresh water don’t read correctly.

17. Wood panels on both sides of slide out sofa fell off.

18. Coach door misaligned you can see daylight at bottom corner, exterior door frame has dropped exposing unpainted surfaces, below door paint missing, handle hard to operate at times.

19. Screen door rattles enough to drive you nuts

20. Drivers side basement storage door doesn’t seal properly, road dirt builds up inside.

21. Outside TV access door leaks in the rain. TV got all wet.

22. Awning coming off Coach

23. Passenger seat arm rest material coming apart at the seams

24. Staple or metal fastener coming through wall near bath/common area transition corner.

25. Over spray paint on right rear tail lights.

26. Low point drain hard to access should be relocated.

27. Coach water filter hard to find and service, needs to be relocated to make accessible.

28. Window blind behind sofa has hole in it.

29. Table dinged on corner.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #17

THOR #3433
Bill and Martha,

We too had a bucket load of warranty items on our Synergy but our dealer's service department, and even the dealership manager "TJ" got involved to fix most of the items. Do your best to try to work with the dealer. Your list is a long one, and several are similar to what I experienced, but it isn't insurmountable. Frustrating - yes - but they are all hopefully fixable. We are 3+ hours from our dealership so when I made a sufficient list I would try to include photos that tied them to that list which helped my dealer get warranty approvals made quickly. Also, if you haven't done this get on top of the roof and check the condition of ALL seals and seams. In my Thor owner's manual they only gave us a short amount of time to report defects on the roof. I would share my laundry list of issues but don't have your email address but be diligent and pro-active, and if you can fix any of the minor problems it would certainly shorten the list.

This forum has a host of seasoned RVers who are more than able to help so "post away". Also, from what I've read the competition's products are just as prone to factory laziness and lack of QC before their units leave for the dealership. Try to be patient and work with Thor and your dealer. And thank you so much for your service to our country!

Regards,
Ed
Old 07-07-2017, 04:59 PM   #18

THOR #2817
That is a horrible list of malfunctions and other problems. I wonder if your RV has been damaged, because there is overspray on the tail lights.

We bought our perviously owned coach with about 6,000 miles from a dealer and have had several problems. Our lists is as long as yours but some of our problems were not as severer as yours. Roof leakage wasn't one of them.

Constantly repairing and replacing parts is no fun. And once faith is lost in the ability of the vehicle to used without problems, it tends to get used less and less.

At this point, ours appears to be holding together well, but failure is always in the back of my mind.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:43 AM   #19

THOR #9959
Do you still have your unit or did you trade/sell it? I see another unit like the one you are describing and I wonder what the odds are it being the same as yours?
Old 11-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #20

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthery View Post
Do you still have your unit or did you trade/sell it? I see another unit like the one you are describing and I wonder what the odds are it being the same as yours?
No we still have it. Read my other post where I replyed to your inquiry. It answers a lot of your questions.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote