Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2018, 07:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
14' Axis with Jensen radio.

Hi all, has anyone experienced the screen and controls not working on their Jensen head unit ? I can operate it using the remote , but none of the controls on the unit work and the screen is blank, no picture from the cameras either. It was fine last weekend and I was just getting it ready for another trip. I had problems with a Jensen on our previous RV and if I could find another with 3 camera inputs I'd throw it in the trash...

Old 05-02-2018, 07:26 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yes

is it the JRV212T ?

then, yes, it's prone to problem... waiting on my second replacement unit from the factory(ASA Electronics) in Elkhart.
the first one, I lost the video feed - I returned it and they replaced with another one that worked for 15,000 miles, even Alaska and back, thank goodness.
now, the VOLUME doesnt work. It barely makes enough sound to listen to, and the physical knob does nothing. I don't think they sent a 'remote' with this one, and so I couldn't try that.... I just pulled it and sent it back the other day. Hopefully my replacement unit will arrive before the end of next week, for our Mother's day outing: )

to to their website, put in your needs for repair, serial number, etc., and they'll get you an RMA return authorization.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:35 PM   #3

THOR #9936
Trouble is, I'm in Ireland ... Doubt whether they'll want to know !! I can always call and see...
Old 05-02-2018, 07:37 PM   #4

THOR #4735
as long as you can package it up and mail/ups/fedex it to them, I doubt it will be any different, other than they may charge you for the return postage to a 'foreign' country!
Old 05-02-2018, 10:35 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: New York
THOR #5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
as long as you can package it up and mail/ups/fedex it to them, I doubt it will be any different, other than they may charge you for the return postage to a 'foreign' country!
The JRV212 is notorious for all kinds of issues. One day it will work, the next it won't. After many frustrating days I replaced it with a JRV9000, which is a compatible swap on my 2014 Hurricane. So far no issues with the replacement. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:36 PM   #6

THOR #5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
Hi all, has anyone experienced the screen and controls not working on their Jensen head unit ? I can operate it using the remote , but none of the controls on the unit work and the screen is blank, no picture from the cameras either. It was fine last weekend and I was just getting it ready for another trip. I had problems with a Jensen on our previous RV and if I could find another with 3 camera inputs I'd throw it in the trash...
The JRV212 is notorious for all kinds of issues. One day it will work, the next it won't. After many frustrating days I replaced it with a JRV9000, which is a compatible swap on my 2014 Hurricane. So far no issues with the replacement. Good luck.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #7

THOR #5840
Quote:
Paul, forgot to mention that if you decide to install the JRV9000 you will need the conversion harness available from Amazon. It adapts your wiring directly to the 9000. A plus is that the 9000 comes with GPS navigation and free maps.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:23 PM   #8

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I have been reading about many Jensen JRV212T radio system failures for a while now, but so far our 2013 ACE 30.1 Jensen radio has been working OK (knocking on wood now). It would be interesting to know what the actual failure mechanism(s) are that cause the various described problems. Is it high dash temps; power system spikes; manufacturing defects (like a hair line crack in a circuit board ; poor quality components; cold solder joints); or a combo of all of the above? Since screen issues seem to be common I keep the clock optioned to off when our radio is turned off (but DC power is on) and we installed the Progressive Industries surge protection and voltage monitoring system within a year of buying the coach. Not sure if doing these things has made a difference or not for protecting our Jensen radio in various campground or storm situations over the years. It would also be interesting to know if anyone has had a JVR212T checked out or repaired by a non-Jensen electronics tech to determine if these units have a common defect that might allow owners to pro-actively prevent the failure from ever occurring (if possible). Repair without the Jensen schematics would likely be a very difficult task, unless there were obvious issues (burned replaceable components; visible cracks etc). If we suffer a future failure in our 212T (which sounds inevitable), I will definitely be checking into the guts of the unit...... (electronics and EEngineering background) since I doubt ASA will be doing any warranty exchanges with our old system.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:06 PM   #9

THOR #9936
I sent an email to ASA/Jensen to see what their response may be, the postage across the pond to them would be around $100+ and back another $100+ and, having read some reviews, there are plenty of people who've had an exchange unit only to find it fails as well.... If I can find another make, there are plenty with a screen the right size and 1 or 2 inputs, I'll get one and fit it. However, I'm having trouble finding one that has 3 camera inputs, 2 x side and 1 rear camera. I wonder, is there a way to have an exterior switching system that will engage the screen on a unit with one input? Thanks.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:36 PM   #10

THOR #4735
If I had no other options, and only had a single video input, of the rear of the coach, that's all I'd really need anyway... the side cameras have very little value, since you have side mirrors.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:49 PM   #11

THOR #5840
Quote:
I sent an email to ASA/Jensen to see what their response may be, the postage across the pond to them would be around $100+ and back another $100+ and, having read some reviews, there are plenty of people who've had an exchange unit only to find it fails as well.... If I can find another make, there are plenty with a screen the right size and 1 or 2 inputs, I'll get one and fit it. However, I'm having trouble finding one that has 3 camera inputs, 2 x side and 1 rear camera. I wonder, is there a way to have an exterior switching system that will engage the screen on a unit with one input? Thanks.
Paul, did you see my latest post regarding the JRV9000, which is a direct replacement for the 212? The only other item you need is a conversion wireing harness.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:26 AM   #12

THOR #9936
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
If I had no other options, and only had a single video input, of the rear of the coach, that's all I'd really need anyway... the side cameras have very little value, since you have side mirrors.
I agree, I've had an RV with just a rear camera. However, we drive on the left here, so, I've found the side camera very useful when overtaking/turning right and I've got to say it's a real safety issue. Yes I have the mirror and I've experience driving trucks, but it gives a lot more security to see down each side.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:32 AM   #13

THOR #9936
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJRocky View Post
Paul, did you see my latest post regarding the JRV9000, which is a direct replacement for the 212? The only other item you need is a conversion wireing harness.
Yes indeed, I did, thanks. However, initial cost, local taxes, postage and fitting bring the cost way up. It looks a very nice unit, but I'd like to see if there's a unit that I can get locally with less cost and more reliability. We don't have Sirrus here and I don't need a Satnav, I'm happy with my TOM TOM, just a radio, cd player and those 3 camera inputs. Still haven't had a reply from Jensen....
Old 05-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #14

THOR #9936
Jensen replied suggesting I disconnect the unit for 4 hours and it'll reset, I did and it didn't...... The screen has came back a few times, but I'm going to trash it and get a switchover unit for the cameras and and Sony/Pioneer/Clarion etc unit .
Old 05-11-2018, 06:06 PM   #15

THOR #5840
Quote:
Jensen replied suggesting I disconnect the unit for 4 hours and it'll reset, I did and it didn't...... The screen has came back a few times, but I'm going to trash it and get a switchover unit for the cameras and and Sony/Pioneer/Clarion etc unit .
Yea, been there done that many times. I even disconnect all power from the RV for several days. The unit came back for a few hours then out again. There is something inherently wrong with that model. So far the 9000 is working fine including all cameras.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #16

THOR #9936
I can't be bothered now, so there's a 3 camera switchover kit that I'm going to get, just depends if I can get it sent here.