Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2018, 12:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Leveling system head scratcher!

This one has Thor and Lippert scratching their heads.
First things first: use/store switch is on. Pull in from hours of driving, leave engine run, set parking brake, wait a minute or two, push auto level, LOW VOLTAGE ERROR! Leveler control panel says 13.4 volts. Chassis battery reads 14.4 with engine running, 13.6 with engine off. I go to leveling system control box, using brown as ground; with engine running. Red wire 14.4 white wire 4.1 to 4.4 Am I right to believe the voltage in the white wire is stray voltage. If so that seems like a lot.
The manual says that the leveling system runs off the chassis battery. I am able to manually level the coach at this point in the process. If I start the generator or plug into shore power I loose the error.
I agree with Thor C/S that it is always good to run the generator to ensure full power to the coach.
Is that why thy put a generator start switch up front, so I don’t have to get up to use the Auto Level feature? I’m trying to be funny now!

Old 04-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Hi, my 2013 ACE 30.1 leveller system is probably different than yours but on my coach the actual leveller hydraulic motor is powered off the coach batteries via a 100 Amp cct breaker and the leveller control box/ driver panel seems to be powered from the chassis battery via ignition and accessory fuses located in the BCC. Not sure why your leveller system would say low voltage with engine running and be good when on shore or gen power. On my leveller wiring diagram at the hydraulic system area brown wire is ground but the white says chassis power; at the leveller controller box red says ignition (would be from chassis bat) and a second white says parking brake ground (different connector on the controller though).

Do any of your voltage readings change when on shore power.......especially the white one?
Old 04-21-2018, 05:57 PM   #3

THOR #6009
Only one white wire on my control box. Its the Parking Brake Ground on my schematic. Readings don't change from Generator or Shore power. I have a July appointment in Wakarusa. There are so many things wrong with this coach, I am trying to get some of the issues corrected before I head down there. I guess I will add this one to the list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leveler control box IMG_1101.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	9832  
Old 04-21-2018, 08:13 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
there are many times in various situations when ours says 'low voltage'... but I dont' care... I just manually level anyway, works every time.... and yes, the panel works from 12v, and the jacks actually work from a 100a fuse bus to the house batteries.
Low voltage or not, I've never had my jacks not 'work', at least in manual mode, which I prefer anyway.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:33 PM   #5

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
When you get the low voltage alarm it would be interesting to measure the voltage at the battery terminal connected to the starter solenoid on the hydraulic jack motor, both with shore power connected and no shore power connected to see if there is a difference. Just curious if the jack controller monitors this voltage point as opposed to the 14.4v chassis battery voltage you found at the controller terminal. If your coach happens to use the coach batteries to run the hydraulic motor (as mine does).....maybe that is the voltage that is low with no shore or gen running. If that is true, then the other issue is when the engine is running why is the alternator not also charging the coach batteries. Under some circumstances the BCC does not connect the coach and chassis batteries together via the interconnect relay. I hope you can resolve your issue.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:34 AM   #6

THOR #6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
there are many times in various situations when ours says 'low voltage'... but I dont' care... I just manually level anyway, works every time.... and yes, the panel works from 12v, and the jacks actually work from a 100a fuse bus to the house batteries.
Low voltage or not, I've never had my jacks not 'work', at least in manual mode, which I prefer anyway.
I agree with you about manually leveling. Now that I have had to do it that way, I do think it is at the very least, faster. However, It is a brand new coach. As I said, I already have an appointment in Wakarusa. The list of issues is growing. Some are more critical than others. My attitude for now is, if there is a button that says "Auto Level" then when I push that button, it should auto level.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #7

State: Colorado
THOR #10150
As above. Hydraulics off leisure battery. Panel off coach.
Assuming voltage is measured off the leisure battery running the gen / shore power would make the jacks work.
Try looking at you leisure batteries could need replacing (12 v system works with gen but wont hold a charge )
Check the battery connecting trombetta switch as may not be closing and charging your leisure battery when driving.
Could also try using the jacks with just engine running get the warning then press the emergency start switch on the dash to connect coach and leisure batteries and see if this clears the error. If it does you know its an issue with 12v power to leisure batteries

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 04-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Dutch Star 4369
State: Maryland
THOR #8491
I have found that when my panel reads low voltage it has been the 100 amp breaker was tripped. Reset the breaker down by the pump and all good.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I almost hate to ask the obvious...

Could it be something as simple as a connection that isn't tight?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:15 PM   #10

State: Texas
THOR #4593
Had the same issue - the breaker was tripped, possibly from the bumpy roads. Reset it and all was well.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:21 PM   #11

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
...this COULD be a symptom of your alternator not charging you house batteries while you are driving. What is their level when you arrive? 12.8? much less? is the inverter in use while driving?

if the alternator is not charging the House batteries while driving, the Leveling pad might be reading 'low voltage' because the HOUSE batteries are lower than it's minimum 'automatic' Level system requirement, because the panel may run off the chassis batteries, but the Hydraulics actually works off of the HOUSE batteries.

This probably happens more often to gas coaches which may only come with two House batteries, for the residential fridge.

When you plug into shore power, or start your generator, you are effectively now CHARGING you House batteries, giving them the minimum Voltage for the 'automatic' leveling to work.

The factory service center should check your device that provides Alternator charging to your House batteries while driving.

in the meantime, you could crank and run your generator for a few minutes prior to arrival, and you'll probably then see the leveling panel work as it should.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
Remember, a voltage reading under no load doesn't tell you much. A circuit can read 13+ volts, but drop significantly when a load like a hydraulic motor is applied.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:05 PM   #13

State: Louisiana
THOR #2499
Quote:
...this COULD be a symptom of your alternator not charging you house batteries while you are driving. What is their level when you arrive? 12.8? much less? is the inverter in use while driving?

if the alternator is not charging the House batteries while driving, the Leveling pad might be reading 'low voltage' because the HOUSE batteries are lower than it's minimum 'automatic' Level system requirement, because the panel may run off the chassis batteries, but the Hydraulics actually works off of the HOUSE batteries.

This probably happens more often to gas coaches which may only come with two House batteries, for the residential fridge.

When you plug into shore power, or start your generator, you are effectively now CHARGING you House batteries, giving them the minimum Voltage for the 'automatic' leveling to work.

The factory service center should check your device that provides Alternator charging to your House batteries while driving.

in the meantime, you could crank and run your generator for a few minutes prior to arrival, and you'll probably then see the leveling panel work as it should.
Is it that you leveling system trips off? If so, there is a high voltage circuit breaker somewhere under your coach with a yellow reset handle. This is not in any manual and not well known by repair techs. Mine tripped off when I over extended the hydraulic levelers (on a Labor Day weekend).

Also, I always plug into shore power before leveling. This prevents short runs on the gen.

Good luck.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:23 AM   #14

THOR #6009
Quote:

I had considered the alternator and the chassis battery. However, the coach was just into Ford service for a differential seal leak. I asked them to check the charging system and they said it was fine. I'm a little worried that Lippert hasn't called me back. I say again; it's a new coach, everything should work.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:02 AM   #15

State: California
THOR #8228
I had similar problem, they cleaned and checked the pins in the connector and now all is good... just sayin'.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Thor RV Forum mobile app