Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2015, 02:19 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alberta
THOR #2265
Leveling System not working

We are on a trip across Canada and 1st night, we tried to use the Automatic Leveling System, the jacks went down and lifted the front tires off the ground and wouldn't retract at all. The system says "Low Voltage", we called our dealer & mechanic, we went through many different things to get the jacks retracted but no avail. This is a 2015 Thor Windsport and we are stuck in a camp ground 100 miles from any dealer. We are hooked up to power and a batteries are fully charged. We will call to the nearest city and see if a mechanic will come out to get these jacks up. Seems our trip is a lost cause. Does anyone have any ideas?? We have tried nearly everything we can think of.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:44 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley M View Post
We are on a trip across Canada and 1st night, we tried to use the Automatic Leveling System, the jacks went down and lifted the front tires off the ground and wouldn't retract at all. The system says "Low Voltage", we called our dealer & mechanic, we went through many different things to get the jacks retracted but no avail. This is a 2015 Thor Windsport and we are stuck in a camp ground 100 miles from any dealer. We are hooked up to power and a batteries are fully charged. We will call to the nearest city and see if a mechanic will come out to get these jacks up. Seems our trip is a lost cause. Does anyone have any ideas?? We have tried nearly everything we can think of.
Periodically I get the low voltage error on the leveling jack control panel. What I do in that case is with the coach running I turn off the leveling jack control panel and after a minute or two turn it back on. The error generally clears itself and the jacks will function.

As a note, the pattern I observed is the error appears when I turn the jack control panel power on within a minute or two of starting the vehicle.

Also, if the jacks are Lippert, you can try calling their customer support (574-534-0001)

This is an extract from the Lippert manual

"Low Voltage Signal
If LOW VOLTAGE light is on solid, it is an indication of a charging system problem. Turn ignition OFF and then back ON to reset system. If LOW VOLTAGE light persists, test battery under load at battery and at the motor solenoid on the pump unit. Check all power and ground connections at the battery, alternator and chassis."
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:53 AM   #3

THOR #2265
Low Voltage on leveling jacks

It is an LCI leveling system and we have tried this starting the coach and waiting awhile before leveling but nothing. We are in Moose Jaw, Sask. right now and there are no dealers in town that deal will motorhomes. We will call around tomorrow and see if we can get someone who knows about hydraulics tomorrow. Just to get the leveling jacks up and then we will head back home to Calgary where we bought the coah and scream at the mechanics.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:16 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Shirley,

Unfortunately the manual is too large to attach.

The leveling system manual has the procedure for manually retracting the jacks.

You can get the manual from

Technical Support Center and Videos

It is located under leveling and stabilization selections and then hydraulic and motorized. The procedures are on page 12 or 13 of the manual. The below link may take you directly to the manual.

http://lci1.com/assets/content/suppo...3-Present).pdf
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:58 AM   #5

Model: Tuscany RX
THOR #1112
Hi, I have this happen all the time. Usually start my unit and it goes away after a couple minutes. Hit auto & retract all. hope this helps. Don't think you have a serious issue.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:26 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
The leveling systems generally need a full charge from the batteries. And they typically drain the batteries quite quickly. Even a fully charged battery (especially a marginal one) can be discharged enough as you are working the jacks that the last one will not work.

The batteries Thor uses - or at least were using - were fairly cheap, so even when fully charged, they may not be up to task.

If you have one house battery, upgrade to two. If you have group 24, try replacing them with group 27 or 31 if they will fit (the higher number group have more capacity).

Also, run the engine while manipulating the jacks as the extra battery/alternator power from the engine might be enough to run the jacks.

Also, the LCI leveling system should have a manual override function where you can run the hydraulic pump with a drill. Download a manual or search YouTube for the procedure. That might be enough to get you home.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:46 PM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
State: Texas
THOR #2240
Sorry to hear about your problem,

Engine should be running, in neutral with emergency brake on.

Manual override procedure is on Page 34 of the attachment.

Hope this helps...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lippert Electronic Hydraulic Leveling and Slideout-Web.pdf (2.68 MB, 2481 views)
Old 07-22-2015, 08:01 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: California
THOR #1414
I've had this happen a few times. We had to find the in-line breaker and rest it to fix the problem, as the breaker had tripped causing the low voltage error. On my fourwinds, the breaker is under the coach by the house batteries. Thor service was able to point me to it- we spent a day unable to retract the levelers before calling them....
Old 07-22-2015, 08:36 PM   #9

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
Sorry to hear about your problem,

Engine should be running, in neutral with emergency brake on.
I agree with this procedure - if you have the engine running the 12 volt system is being helped by the vehicle alternator and the voltage shouldn't sag below what the leveler system likes. I had seen low voltage errors when I first got my Windsport, when I wasn't running the engine.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:27 PM   #10

State: Alabama
THOR #2255
Had the same issue on a 34F, nears end of leveling cycle and shows low voltage fail, system locks up, as mentioned above the in line breakers are the issue on mine, 34F has two in the batt and pump compartment, the yellow arm will be extended if breaker is popped, retracted if not popped, similar breaker under the engine cover but that one has never popped for the levelers. I cannot retract using the controller until the breaker has been reset.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:22 PM   #11

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
Yes you need to find the reset breaker (mine is in the battery/pump compartment
where the lever pump and reservoir is located. The breaker is on the right wall up
above the batteries.

I had the same problem, but I also have a fluid leak at the pump or reservoir.

My MH is in the shop right now for repairs.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:44 PM   #12

State: Louisiana
THOR #2309
LCI support and manuals

Level Up

I called Lippert Components to find technical information. I called 574.537.8900. I had to go thru all the prompts, but they were very helpful. The link above should take you to some tip sheets and manuals on the Level Up system. Hopes this helps someone. I have some fire side reading to do with the new manuals.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:18 AM   #13

Model: 2016 Hurricane 32N
State: Illinois
THOR #2257
Same Problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbscbs View Post
Had the same issue on a 34F, nears end of leveling cycle and shows low voltage fail, system locks up, as mentioned above the in line breakers are the issue on mine, 34F has two in the batt and pump compartment, the yellow arm will be extended if breaker is popped, retracted if not popped, similar breaker under the engine cover but that one has never popped for the levelers. I cannot retract using the controller until the breaker has been reset.
Thank goodness for this forum! I had the same problem, plus the generator died. I found the yellow arm extended as described above and now everything works! Hooray! And Thanks!!
Old 05-31-2016, 01:36 AM   #14

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
[QUOTE=Phil Saran;14924]Yes you need to find the reset breaker (mine is in the battery/pump compartment
where the lever pump and reservoir is located. The breaker is on the right wall up above the batteries.>

On my MH the reservoir will loose fluid (it is transmission fluid) out the
cap, mechanic says it is normal.

But if you reset the breaker the leveling jacks will retract.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:49 AM   #15

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
That procedure described on page 34 in the attachment Texan sent is pretty simple -- just turn a set screw on on each valve fully clockwise with an 1/8" Allen wrench. When you called your dealer did the mechanic tell you to try that?

Page 35 also says there is drive off protection. When the ignition is on, the jacks are down, and if you release the parking brake the warning alarm will sound, the indicators will flash and then the JACKS WILL AUTOMATICSLLY RETRACT. I'd try that to see what happens.

If they don't retract it sounds to me like there is insufficient hydraulic pressure. Given the power error code it probably is insufficient power for the hydraulic pump. Check to see if that yellow flag is out on the battery disconnect somewhere near the batteries
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote