Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2016, 03:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Lippert electric step Recall notice

Just received the recall notice from Thor about the Lippert electric entry steps.

Repair is free but will take an estimated 90 - 120 minutes to complete! Add this to the 1.5 hour drive to the nearest Thor authorized dealer = I will be writing the company to see if I can get and install the reinforcement bracket myself.

Anyone else get the recall notice and try to do this themselves????

2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:56 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
Is there a number and/or year for the recall? I went to the Lippert site, but they say nothing
Old 01-18-2016, 07:17 PM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
It is Safety Recall # 15V-745 Safety Advisory # RC000111 dated Jan 6, 2016.

I have a 2015 Thor, but the recall does not say what years apply but there is a
phone # for questions... 877-855-2867
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:38 PM   #4

THOR #3195
thank you for the info. My MH is in for service right now, I can now relate the info to them to at least check on it.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:40 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I posted a write up on the recall on the forum in December. The link is here

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...dels-2801.html

I just called and left my service department a message to check mine while the coach is in for service.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:43 PM   #6

THOR #3195
Thanks Dave, that took me off the hook
Old 01-20-2016, 02:05 AM   #7
Site Team

THOR #1469
Received the recall notice today

I received the recall notice in the mail today. Since my coach is at the dealer for warranty and other service work I'll call them tomorrow and have them apply the fix while it's there.
FMCA - F432054
Old 01-20-2016, 03:18 AM   #8

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #2871
My Challenger is a 2016 so I didn't get a recall notice. However, coincidence maybe, but when I was driving it off of the dealer's lot they flagged me down because the steps had not retracted. Took a tech 45 minutes to figure it out and fix it. A loose ground wire was the culprit.
2015 Ford Focus
rbmartiniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:06 PM   #9

Model: 34B
State: New Jersey
THOR #3523
I contacted Lippert and they state no parts available yet
Old 01-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #1599
Oh yeah, just posted a new thread. What did they say about sending you the repair kit directly?
San Antonio, Tx
Tytlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:11 PM   #11

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Illinois
THOR #2411
Step Failure

We had our 2105 Thor Challenger 37TB in for winterizing, oil change and check up at 2600 miles in November, here in Illinois.

I parked it at my storage lot for a week and about Jan 9, went to get a book from the home. Steps did not work at all. I had just got the recall from Thor and called my dealer about the step failure. He said this was not related and no parts available yet of course.

Yesterday, we went to the home and steps still not working at all. So, I hope to crawl underneath today and see if I can find a problem or if it is in fact the recall problem. Of course, I will attempt to check all fuses and breakers in case this is not related to the recall but who knows. With my dealer being 2 1/2 hours away, it is costing more money in gas than it would be to pay out of pocket for all the warrantee work by doing it local here in Peoria, IL.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:00 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Dealers

Why drive 2 1/2 hrs for service?? I did not like the long drive to CW and their poor service so when I got the step recall contacted Thor customer service who gave me the name of several other dealers who were much closer. During the same call I was informed that the recall had been cancelled for our Windsport 27K as our single step was not included. I hope your problem is something minor.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:00 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&DBruner View Post
We had our 2105 Thor Challenger 37TB in for winterizing, oil change and check up at 2600 miles in November, here in Illinois.

I parked it at my storage lot for a week and about Jan 9, went to get a book from the home. Steps did not work at all. I had just got the recall from Thor and called my dealer about the step failure. He said this was not related and no parts available yet of course.

Yesterday, we went to the home and steps still not working at all. So, I hope to crawl underneath today and see if I can find a problem or if it is in fact the recall problem. Of course, I will attempt to check all fuses and breakers in case this is not related to the recall but who knows. With my dealer being 2 1/2 hours away, it is costing more money in gas than it would be to pay out of pocket for all the warrantee work by doing it local here in Peoria, IL.
My dealer is also a distance from the house (about 1.5 hours if there are no cars on the road) and that is why I waited until a month before warranty expiration to take it in. When I emailed Thor asking about the recall parts I was told they were delivered to my dealer on Feb 17. With that said, Thor may not be sending parts to the dealer until they are requested.

When I talked to my dealer on Wed or Thurs they told me they had just received the last of the parts needed for my warranty work. The dealer found condensation in my parking lights so they took it upon themselves to add those to the warranty replacement work.

I took my coach to the dealer in January and it has been there since. I gave them until March 1 to complete the repairs, although I have about a month of time built in before my first planned trip of the year. My thought is the coach sitting at the dealer being worked is better than it sitting at the house doing nothing.
FMCA - F432054
Old 02-28-2016, 03:15 PM   #14

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Illinois
THOR #2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Diane View Post
Why drive 2 1/2 hrs for service?? I did not like the long drive to CW and their poor service so when I got the step recall contacted Thor customer service who gave me the name of several other dealers who were much closer. During the same call I was informed that the recall had been cancelled for our Windsport 27K as our single step was not included. I hope your problem is something minor.
I actually thought it needed to go back to the dealer I bought it from. I had heard stories of the local dealer sending people away if they were busy with their coach buying customers.

However, I have a close friend who has bought 3 diesel coaches from the local dealer, introduced me and they are doing my Blue Ox tow bar installation on my toad this week. Therefore, I am hoping to have my work done from now on at the local dealer who is on 2 miles from the house.

FYI--When we bought ours, the local dealer didn't have one (37TB) and the price was higher of course with the volume of sales. But, looking back, I should have dealt more and stayed local anyway if it was possible.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:18 AM   #15

THOR #2871
I'm 3.5 hours from my Thor dealer. I had some screw heads pop off where the front cap joins the body. This pushed out the strip of molding covering them. I called Thor Customer Service and they said I didn't have to drive 3.5 hours for service. They told me I could use a local motorhome dealer. All they had to do was give them a call and they would approve the work. I took it it, and you guessed it, when the local dealer called Thor, they said no because they weren't a Thor dealer. Still not fixed. Maybe when the front cap falls off they will do something about it.
2015 Ford Focus
Old 02-29-2016, 11:51 AM   #16
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
All ways get the name of the person at Thor, and stand there while the dealer is calling them.
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:12 PM   #17
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartiniv View Post
I'm 3.5 hours from my Thor dealer. I had some screw heads pop off where the front cap joins the body. This pushed out the strip of molding covering them. I called Thor Customer Service and they said I didn't have to drive 3.5 hours for service. They told me I could use a local motorhome dealer. All they had to do was give them a call and they would approve the work. I took it it, and you guessed it, when the local dealer called Thor, they said no because they weren't a Thor dealer. Still not fixed. Maybe when the front cap falls off they will do something about it.
Interesting. Had the same thing happen on my coach early last year and Thor deferred the repair until I took it in for warranty work. Mine is driver's side front just below the side view mirror. When I got my status report from the dealer they said it was the result of broken screw heads and the problem is now repaired.
FMCA - F432054
Old 02-29-2016, 02:17 PM   #18

Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Delaware
THOR #3746
Anyone have any luck getting Lippert to send the Recall parts (when available) directly to the owner rather than going through a dealer. My dealer here in DE dropped the Thor Motor Coach line last year because of all the problems associated with warranty and parts....... Joe
Old 02-29-2016, 04:03 PM   #19

THOR #2871
Just talked to my Thor dealer, a 3.5 hour drive. Can't get an appointment for 5 weeks and was told would have to leave it because they had a 4 to 6 week turnaround time!!!!!!
2015 Ford Focus
Old 02-29-2016, 04:36 PM   #20
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArmyJeep View Post
Anyone have any luck getting Lippert to send the Recall parts (when available) directly to the owner rather than going through a dealer. My dealer here in DE dropped the Thor Motor Coach line last year because of all the problems associated with warranty and parts....... Joe
Due to the recall being recorded with NHTSB I would doubt either Lippert or Thor would allow application by owners. Too many legal implications to allow owners to apply the recall themselves.
FMCA - F432054