Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2015, 11:12 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Florida
THOR #698
Lippert slide control box

Have a 2014 Thor ACE 27.1 and the slide won't go out. It retracted fine in the AM. I looked at the control box in the storage and there were no lights on or flashing. There is 12V going into the box. When I took it off the wall a few ounces of water sloshed out. The box was installed with the open end (where the wires come out) facing up. Is this how Thor installs electrical equipment upside down?
If any one has the same RV could you check and see how the control box is set up in the storage area.

I am going to call Lippert this AM for help.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I do not have an ACE but in my Challenger the slide control boxes for all three slides are mounted to the ceiling in a storage compartment below the respective slide.

The question I would have is how is water entering a storage compartment and then getting inside an electronic component? You may also want to call Thor.

One thing I noticed when my slide went dead during the shakedown cruise was that when the slide controller is unplugged and then plugged back in it takes a few minutes to reset and display the lights.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:41 PM   #3

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Helen pns View Post
Have a 2014 Thor ACE 27.1 and the slide won't go out. It retracted fine in the AM. I looked at the control box in the storage and there were no lights on or flashing. There is 12V going into the box. When I took it off the wall a few ounces of water sloshed out. The box was installed with the open end (where the wires come out) facing up. Is this how Thor installs electrical equipment upside down?
If any one has the same RV could you check and see how the control box is set up in the storage area.

I am going to call Lippert this AM for help.
I just had this happen to me Tuesday morning. Lippert will tell you they have no control over how the manufacturer wires it so will only give you basic trouble shooting ideas.

I tried the bypass sequence which is listed on the box of pressing 6 times and holding the 7th, both a red and green light flash and supposedly you can pull or put the slide out. That was of no use and did not work. Lippert told me I could jumper 12 v to the pin at the bottom depending on what you want Ret or EXT and run the slide. I had disconnected those wires in anticipation of doing that but had reattached them and tried the slide and it worked . I took it by a service center and they thought maybe disconnecting the wires reset the box. I don't know but it hasn't done it again yet.

After getting slide in the jacks wouldn't go down, will be interesting to see if you get the same sequence.

PS: the controller never gave me any error lights either.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
I just had this happen to me Tuesday morning. Lippert will tell you they have no control over how the manufacturer wires it so will only give you basic trouble shooting ideas.

I tried the bypass sequence which is listed on the box of pressing 6 times and holding the 7th, both a red and green light flash and supposedly you can pull or put the slide out. That was of no use and did not work. Lippert told me I could jumper 12 v to the pin at the bottom depending on what you want Ret or EXT and run the slide. I had disconnected those wires in anticipation of doing that but had reattached them and tried the slide and it worked . I took it by a service center and they thought maybe disconnecting the wires reset the box. I don't know but it hasn't done it again yet.

After getting slide in the jacks wouldn't go down, will be interesting to see if you get the same sequence.

PS: the controller never gave me any error lights either.
When my slide stuck, Thor informed me that when trying the bypass function that after you hold the button the seventh time you only have approx. 45 seconds to hit the retract button to bring the slide in. They told me that the bypass function will not work to extend the slide. Again, that is what Thor told me when they were trying to get my slide back in and avoid having to pay for mobile service. It didn't work because the motor was unplugged.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:10 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
When my slide stuck, Thor informed me that when trying the bypass function that after you hold the button the seventh time you only have approx. 45 seconds to hit the retract button to bring the slide in. They told me that the bypass function will not work to extend the slide. Again, that is what Thor told me when they were trying to get my slide back in and avoid having to pay for mobile service. It didn't work because the motor was unplugged.
Yeah, they had me make sure someone was in the coach to hit the button soon as it went into bypass mode. Still didn't work.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:28 PM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #2907
I had a similar problem yesterday with water in the control box in my ace 27.1. Box apparently shorted extended the slide with travel lock in place. Bedroom end of slide extended, front end of slide with travel lock stayed in place. Dried out box, noticed a burn mark on the number 2 motor attach point. Reattached wires and did 6&1 on the reset button and got the slide back in and straight.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:31 PM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
State: Texas
THOR #2240
"Check the position of the Lippert Components 13398-C2 Dual Motor Synchronous Velocity Slide Controller and move it if needed. Mine was mounted in one of the bays directly below a hole and a bunch of wires leading into the rear wheel bay. 1st rain storm and module filled with water from the spray off the rear tire and died, moved the "new" unit to the inner wall and resealed the hole with more spray foam."

Cut/paste from one of my other Posts....

I ended up getting one off Ebay for $100
Old 07-10-2017, 07:23 PM   #8

State: Oregon
THOR #8222
Thor Ace 27.1 slide not working

I have a 2014 Thor Ace 27.1 and the slide will work if I have the generator on, but the engine motor off. you have to wait for the generator to run for a minute or so and when you here the click it is provided power to MH. My microwave will not run till that happens either.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:37 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by property@wvi.com View Post
I have a 2014 Thor Ace 27.1 and the slide will work if I have the generator on, but the engine motor off. you have to wait for the generator to run for a minute or so and when you here the click it is provided power to MH. My microwave will not run till that happens either.
Is your use/store switch in store? The slide is 12V powered by the house batteries. If in "store" mode the house batteries are disconnected.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:03 AM   #10

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Property,
The slide motor is "locked out" when the engine is running.
If the gen must be running then perhaps your batteries are shot or not even available due to an open breaker or switch.