Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2017, 07:49 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oklahoma
THOR #9276
Location of black and gray water tank

Can anyone tell me precisely where the gray and black tanks are located on the freedom elite 29fe? Thanks.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:24 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Have you taken a peek up under the rig's skirts yet?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:28 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You can also give Thor a call and ask for the construction/engineering diagrams (have your VIN handy). Not only will you know precisely where the tanks are but all the plumbing and most of the wiring .
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:40 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
orrrr....
Find your sewer outlet, and follow the plumbing back upstream.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
orrrr....
Find your sewer outlet, and follow the plumbing back upstream.
My presumption is that s/he isn't at the RV and doesn't have access at the moment...otherwise yes climb underneath (wouldn't need a post in that case).

Perhaps its is in storage, or worse at the dealer waiting to be worked on.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:51 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Look underneath. They will jump out and bite you. Also, know that your vanity empties into the black tank. You also have a second dump valve on the black tank located behind the coach door in front of the rear wheels.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:10 PM   #7

THOR #9276
I am a girl and I was actually being quite lazy, not wanting to look and look. It's really cold here and I am wondering why my black tank is full already. I'm thinking that one of you answered that one for me.. My bathroom sink empties into the black tank?? Ugh!! I thought I was doing very well conserving my black.. Now I have to find a place to dump.. Thanks for the info, people.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:26 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurafhl View Post
I am a girl and I was actually being quite lazy, not wanting to look and look. It's really cold here and I am wondering why my black tank is full already. I'm thinking that one of you answered that one for me.. My bathroom sink empties into the black tank?? Ugh!! I thought I was doing very well conserving my black.. Now I have to find a place to dump.. Thanks for the info, people.
Yeppers I'm a relatively new owner and was shocked to see that my black tank filled up so quickly at first as well. Once we became aware that the bathroom sink drains into the black tank, we've been much more conservative but the black tank fills in about 4-5 days with 3 folks on board (full timing). When I empty the black tank it seems a lot less volume comes out then the gray tank which is the same size. I'm beginning to think that the sensors might be positioned differently. But I learned quickly that spending too much time testing the limits on full, you will definitely notice the smell emanating from the toilet room.

With the bathroom sink, just use it as if you were boondocking. Just turn the water on momentarily as you need it and don't leave it running while you are brushing your teefers.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:46 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Pure honesty counts a whole lot...
They plumb the sink into the Black Tank in order to reduce the chance of things clogging up...
Old 12-28-2017, 04:56 PM   #10

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
.....cut.... When I empty the black tank it seems a lot less volume comes out then the gray tank which is the same size. I'm beginning to think that the sensors might be positioned differently. ....cut...
Another possibility is that part of your black tank's volume isn't dumping at all. Sometimes solids can build up as a mound inside black tank thereby reducing its effective capacity. May not be likely but worth checking. This happened to me when I started out years ago, then it shifted blocking the drain line which made the problem a lot worse.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:14 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Another possibility is that part of your black tank's volume isn't dumping at all. Sometimes solids can build up as a mound inside black tank thereby reducing its effective capacity. May not be likely but worth checking. This happened to me when I started out years ago, then it shifted blocking the drain line which made the problem a lot worse.
Don't they suggest a batch of ice cubes and Calgon; to help clean these blockages out?
Old 12-28-2017, 05:14 PM   #12

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
Quote:
How did you check and handle the issue?
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:24 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
LOL No issue--hopefully it isn't as cold there as it is here..my car read -5F yesterday. Today its a balmy 10F.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:43 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860

How cold; is cold?

At 50 Degrees: Californians reach for their sweaters
At 40 Degrees: Floridians start looking to move South.
At 30 Degrees: British cars don't start
At 20 Degrees: Arizona real estate starts to seem reasonably priced.
At 10 Degrees: Canadians go swimming!
At 0 Degrees: folks in Michigan play football
At -10 Degrees: Folks in Wisconsin will shovel paths to their lawn furniture, and have a barbecue!
At -20 Degrees: German cars don't start
At -30 Degrees: Alaskans will close the bathroom window
At -40 Degrees: even Venezuela is looking pretty nice!
At -50 Degrees: Swedish cars don't start
At -60 Degrees: The term "Three Dog Night" becomes a reality
At -70 Degrees: Politicians will actually put their hands into their own pockets!
Old 12-28-2017, 05:51 PM   #15

THOR #1249
Quote:
Another possibility is that if you are reading your gage indicators as showing your black tank being full; they are notorious for reading wrong especially by being more full than empty. You can take a look down the toilet with a flashlight and check the level.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:50 PM   #16

Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
I measured and did the calculation on my tanks when I first got our MH and where they have the sensors in the tank when mine reads full it is only about half full by volume. The way the tanks are shaped there is about 4" of tank that is all the way across the frame to the other side. On the drivers side it has a deeper well where the valves are that is only about 12" x 14" x 14". when I calculated they have my full sensor about 3 1/2" from the top which is the largest part of the tank. By luck my toilet goes straight into the top of the tank so I can just open the valve and look down with a flashlight to see if it is full.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:19 PM   #17

THOR #9276
It's a balmy 25 here. Thanks for all the info. I got my butt out there and found both tanks. Checked on the heater pads and while they are barely warm they are on. Hoping to wait out this cold snap for a couple days until it gets back into the 40's and then take it to empty the tanks.. I waited too long obviously to winterize. But everyone has given great advice on that too so I think I know what i'm doing.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:35 PM   #18

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
How did you check and handle the issue?
Was a very long time ago, so going from ancient memories.

On my first motorhome, a Coachmen Class C, the black tank was directly under toilet. With the toilet valve open I could see down into tank with a flashlight. Once outlet got plugged, I installed a cap that had a garden hose connection and back flushed just enough to establish drainage. I then re-connected sewer line, opened toilet valve, and using a nozzle on garden hose started flushing from inside out being careful not to break up too much of mound at once. I also had to use a broom handle to help break up the mound in a controlled manner so it wouldn't plug the discharge line again.

It was painfully slow and messier than one would expect, which made it one of those things that you never repeat again. We had made a couple of newbie mistakes that were easily avoidable.

Back then I didn't have access to Internet like today, and hadn't read what not to do that causes these problems.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:24 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
It was painfully slow and messier than one would expect, which made it one of those things that you never repeat again. We had made a couple of newbie mistakes that were easily avoidable.

Back then I didn't have access to Internet like today, and hadn't read what not to do that causes these problems.
And without the internet: you couldn't share what must have been a GREAT story!
Old 12-29-2017, 05:52 AM   #20

Model: Axis RUV 24.1
THOR #9288
Ha! Very good...you and the family have a Happy New Year and it sure is cold over here in Western Orange County Bob! It's so cold I had to climb up on the roof and snap off the smoke coming out of the chimney so it didn't draft back down to the fireplace. I even saw a ken ken bird today chirping Gee Gee Keerist it cold out. Maybe tomorrow I'll tell you about the OuOu Bird!