Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2016, 12:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #1001
Lost 30 amp service /THOR ACE 30.2

While connected to external power at Fort Wilderness Disney Fla either a overload or external disconnect cost something to trip in our unit. The plug have fallen out of the outer receptacle. When we applied we were able to get external power back but I have lost complete internal 30 amp service. I cannot start my unit or the generator I have no power at all. I have gone through the breaker box and the 30 amp reset in the engine compartment and nothing seems to work. I have called coach net in the meantime however if anyone has had similar experience please offer some feedback. We have to leave on Friday and right now I have no external power whatsoever. The batteries appear to be fine

Old 07-27-2016, 01:14 PM   #2

Model: 2016 hurricane 31s
State: Florida
THOR #3836
no power

I had the same problem on my 2015 axis, after testing the shore power from the hookup I found I had power to the coach but nothing coming in. I then tested the transfer switch for power , I had no power at the transfer switch. I took the 30 amp receptacle of the outside coach and found the black wire pulled out, I hook it back up and everything worked fine
Old 07-27-2016, 02:00 PM   #3
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by timr View Post
While connected to external power at Fort Wilderness Disney Fla either a overload or external disconnect cost something to trip in our unit. The plug have fallen out of the outer receptacle. When we applied we were able to get external power back but I have lost complete internal 30 amp service. I cannot start my unit or the generator I have no power at all. I have gone through the breaker box and the 30 amp reset in the engine compartment and nothing seems to work. I have called coach net in the meantime however if anyone has had similar experience please offer some feedback. We have to leave on Friday and right now I have no external power whatsoever. The batteries appear to be fine
Do you have a trickle charger which you can place on your Chassis battery?

Did you check the reset button on your house batteries? Ours is next to the batteries, under the steps.

Is your USE/STORE switch ON ? When you depress the switch, you will hear a faint clunk noise...meaning that it is engaged..
If the Use/Store switch did its job...you should have 30 amp service, provided that you are plugged in to the campground post & service is correct.
In addition, check your GFCI reset switch...ours is above the toilet .. button is rather hard to see .. flashlight helps.
If you do not have a Surge Protector for your 'post' connection, it would be a good idea to purchase one, moving forward.

good luck !! keep us posted !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:18 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The use/store switch only affects house 12V, not the external 120V (which I believe is the issue here). Same goes for the 30A breaker on the battery.

Although not being able to start either engine or genny would indicate the 12V system(s) are affected as well.

Quote:
The batteries appear to be fine
With this statement I assume you've checked the voltages on the batteries and they are reading 12V? Or are you pressing the "batt" button on the panel? (does the panel work??)

Since both engines aren't starting *and* the 120V system is down I'd look at something common: Perhaps the converter shorted out?

Does your ACE have an inverter? Perhaps both converter & inverter were both connected up at the same time briefly and fried something? (Website only says 29.3 and 29.4 come with inverters.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:49 PM   #5

THOR #1001
Thank you all for your responses. I've tried every reset I knew,and didnt know I had. 30amp reset in engine box ( fuses,and relays),buss reset in house battery area, breakers no main panel. Nothing. When I disconnect shore power,I'm black across the board. Nothing. When I press my battery test on the panel(when I"m connected),I get a full panel. Batteries were fine prior to,and during trip.Easy starts,etc. I truly dont think its the batteries.Something happeded when the power went out the other day,and I cant track it. I'm super mad at myself,because I was a electrician in the Coast Guard in the 70s/80s.but technology has changed for sure. I should be able to fix this. Anyway, I have CoachNet coming out. We'll see.I'll be watching intently,and will hopefully will have good news to share back.
TR
Old 07-27-2016, 08:38 PM   #6

Model: Vegas
State: California
THOR #2485
You should check the output from your transfer switch. On my Thor Vegas they bundled the wire connections with loose strands that caused a short wiping out the solenoid switch. Your transfer switch will be a box with heavy cables running in and out and functions to switch between generator and shore power. You can use a non-contact voltage tester to trace if any live wires come out from the switch. A short in the transfer switch would not trip any breakers or blow any fuses.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:54 PM   #7

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Thank you all for your responses. I've tried every reset I knew,and didnt know I had. 30amp reset in engine box ( fuses,and relays),buss reset in house battery area, breakers no main panel. Nothing. When I disconnect shore power,I'm black across the board. Nothing. When I press my battery test on the panel(when I"m connected),I get a full panel. Batteries were fine prior to,and during trip.Easy starts,etc. I truly dont think its the batteries.Something happeded when the power went out the other day,and I cant track it. I'm super mad at myself,because I was a electrician in the Coast Guard in the 70s/80s.but technology has changed for sure. I should be able to fix this. Anyway, I have CoachNet coming out. We'll see.I'll be watching intently,and will hopefully will have good news to share back.
TR
Please let us all know what the problem is when you find it. Thank you for your posts.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:07 AM   #8

THOR #1001
Well,the disconnect switch,located in the engine compartment relay box was fried,and no replacement available. Not to mention the entire box has to come off to replace it. The Tech's bypassed it so I could charge batteries and get home to Ohio. So far everything seems ok. We'll see when we disconnect and move out on Friday. Say a prayer for us please. Just working the bugs out.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:13 AM   #9
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Well,the disconnect switch,located in the engine compartment relay box was fried,and no replacement available. Not to mention the entire box has to come off to replace it. The Tech's bypassed it so I could charge batteries and get home to Ohio. So far everything seems ok. We'll see when we disconnect and move out on Friday. Say a prayer for us please. Just working the bugs out.
Have a safe trip home and keep us posted !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote