Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2017, 08:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
Lost control power for slide, bunks and awning!

Hey guys,

I have lost control of my full wall slide, overhead bunk and my awning motor.
I spent a day on the phone with Thor troubleshooting, checking fuses and relays. I went borrow a slide controller from by neighbors rig with no resolve. I brought my controllers to his rig and they performed. WTH?!?! I called my RV tech hotline that gave me an "ID 10 T" code, so I respectfully hung up.

So does anyone have a clue where a hidden fuse could be? I have checked all the logical places. The RV tech said I had bad controllers, which was not the case. They both worked on another RV!

My unit has the single slide control switch located on my main panel with the AC control, My bunk control is over the door and my awning is at floor level.

Both controllers are getting 13.1V of power, and will set to manual override when I press the grey button, but will not acknowledge when the switch is depressed to extend or retract.

Can I jump the 12v hot to the extend/retract tabs of the controller without damaging the controller?

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:15 PM   #2

Model: 31e Four Winds
State: Delaware
THOR #7159
Is the parking brake set and keys out of the ignition?
Old 05-27-2017, 09:18 PM   #3

THOR #2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcars302 View Post
Is the parking brake set and keys out of the ignition?
Yes. Unit is leveled Parked in my driveway.

Unless all my motors are fried. What are the chances of having the slide motors, overhead bunk motors AND the awning motor all toasted?

Im at a loss. Bringing it to the shop next week.

PG
Montz, Louisiana
Old 05-27-2017, 09:46 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
The Guidrys - I'll bet you have Rapid Camp. If you do take a look at my post here when it happened to us. http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...king-5353.html

Let us know.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:45 PM   #5

THOR #2073
Ill take a look at that BIGBEN!

Its GOT to be it....

Thanks!

PG
Montz, Louisiana
Old 05-28-2017, 12:09 AM   #6

THOR #2073
Question

He BIGBEN,

Identical issue you had. I jumped power to the input of the Rapid Camp circuit board, and the slides, bunk and awning worked. I also checked the 15 amp, both 5 amp and both 20 amp fuses on the board all good.

I traced both input and output wiring harnesses, but they both lead to back under the coach. My question, is this powered by the chassis fuse panel?

The schematics aren't very clear of where the power source is located.

Thanks for your help!
Montz, Louisiana
Old 05-28-2017, 12:49 AM   #7

THOR #1020
So it sounds like you figured out the no power issue. The incoming power runs to the automotive style fuse array. Mine was under the bed. The real problem for me - the were labeled wrong and NOT wired according to the wiring diagram. For a quick check, take your multimeter and check continuity for each fuse. Open circuit = blown fuse. As best I can remember it was 20 AMP fuse.

Glad you're running the problem into a corner. Like I said "I have a real aversion to letting someone I don't know charge me $100/hour to maybe fix a problem."

PS: for the first day after I figured out the power issue and until I got to another campground where we stayed for 2 days - I actually made a 50' jumper wire I took on and off from the battery back to the relay. I used quick disconnects to make it easier. A real PITA but hey "I have a real aversion to letting someone I don't know charge me $100/hour to maybe fix a problem."
Old 05-28-2017, 02:52 AM   #8

THOR #2073
So what I had found was this:

The 15amp circuit labeled 'awning' on my 12 volt panel also powered the "Rapid Camp" module.

I traced the "Green" wire from the 12v fuse panel to the Rapid camp input and a "Green with Yellow stripe" wire was piggybacked. I have a feeling that is my awning circuit for it still is non-operational, and was causing my 15amp fuse to blow, so I took the "Green and Yellow stripe" wire off the module, and all the rapid camp items except the awning works.

I plan on running a dedicated 15amp circuit just to the rapid camp and attach the awning to its original circuit so there isn't any issues in the future.

Thanks for your help BIGBEN and everyone else who helps their fellow RV brothers and sisters here and on other forums!

Happy Trails!
Montz, Louisiana
Old 05-28-2017, 12:36 PM   #9

THOR #1020
The Guidrys - super. I actually had extra fuse spots on my buss bar. I am fairly certain that the Rapid Camp (better said Unused Rapid Camp) was a 20 amp fuse. I am positive there is NO piggybacking with the awing.

In retrospect, I was catching some pressure from the DW to take it to a shop to get if fixed. After it was fixed, DW has gained some real confidence in our ability to fix most anything. Also, Thor was great in sending me the wiring diagrams that helped me run it into a corner.

With all that gets shared on these and the IRV2 forum, I feel an obligation to share with fellow vagabonds.

Oh - and enjoy your Memorial Day and remember those that went before.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #10

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
Happy to hear you got your fixed.

Mine was a little worse, water leak on roof over rear bed slide
shorted out wiring for control circuit board and burned out circuit
board. Shop was able to move slide back in using the jumper wire
deal.

Had to turn in a claim to my insurance to have a new roof installed
plus the wiring and circuit board. Hope to get rig back in another
week or so.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:12 PM   #11

THOR #1020
Phil - water is a bummer. I've taken to checking for exactly those sort of leaks. Hope all turns out well.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:03 PM   #12

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
It will all get fixed, a new 20 year roof on a two year old MH. :-(

The repair shop says the roof was replaced once already which
would mean the MH had hail or roof damage while still new at the
dealer in Texas where we bought it and it was fixed poorly.
I had a phone conversation with a rep from Thor last week and his
only comment was well it came with a one year warranty and you've
had it two years.....sorry.

We have run the numbers and it is costing us about $9000 a year
to own this MH with payments, insurance and storage.

We are going to sell it and go back to either a TT or 5th wheel and
a truck. One less engine to maintain, no windshields to replace
($4500), cost of tires less than 1/2 of a MH tire, etc.

Just my $0.02 your results may vary from mine.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:39 AM   #13

THOR #2073
Awning update...

I was able to trace the wire causing my troubles to my awning. Low and behold, the short was next to the awning drive motor and controller. When the dealer changed out my second set of Carefree awning arms, the controller and motor leads were very tightly put across the corner of the motor, eventually cutting into the wire causing a direct short. I was able to use heat shrink on the wires, and put new connectors on the ends. I also was sure there were no strain put on the wires.

A huge thank you for BIGBEN for putting me in the right direction!

All i have to add is a relay circuit so my awning power disconnects when the ignition is active.

PG
Montz, Louisiana
Old 05-30-2017, 01:10 AM   #14

THOR #1020
The Guidrys - glad it came to a good conclusion. So many folks on here have helped us so much, we are glad to pay it forward. Even better - if you are like me, after fixing these sort of issues, I feel fairly confident I can troubleshoot and fix almost anything on our coach.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:33 AM   #15

Model: 2017 Windsport 34F
State: Michigan
THOR #7673
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guidrys View Post
I was able to trace the wire causing my troubles to my awning. Low and behold, the short was next to the awning drive motor and controller. When the dealer changed out my second set of Carefree awning arms, the controller and motor leads were very tightly put across the corner of the motor, eventually cutting into the wire causing a direct short. I was able to use heat shrink on the wires, and put new connectors on the ends. I also was sure there were no strain put on the wires.

A huge thank you for BIGBEN for putting me in the right direction!

All i have to add is a relay circuit so my awning power disconnects when the ignition is active.

PG
So, the green with yellow stripe wire ran to the awning and was shorted. This DC circuit shared a 15 amp fuse with the rapid camp circuit? Where is your rapid camp circuit board located? I just want to be clear as I'm getting a 34F soon.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:53 AM   #16

THOR #1020
Yep - best to get an answer from someone that knows because the board can be a real bear to find. Ours was tucked under the bed behind a finishing panel. Had to remove the panel to find it.

Just for the heck of it, ask your dealership. I'll bet someone in the service department knows and I'll also bet sales folks will tell you "here is the remote". The question gets asked a lot more than I'd have thought.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:09 PM   #17

THOR #2073
JTroop,

All of the electrical systems along with the fresh water tank are located under the bed. Its accessible only by unscrewing the panel under the mattress located right above the 120v and 12v circuit breaker panels. My rapid camp module was screwed to the left of the panels. It can be easily found for it has a wire hanging that is the antenna. No where on this board is labeled 'Rapid Camp.'

In all honesty, I don't use the 'Rapid Camp' feature much. I used it a few times when I was close to trees near the slide. I can always solicit DW to help if need be.

Also, don't rely on the rapid camps ability to retract your awning in during rain storms. Its not quick by any means, and after having to replace my carefree awning arms, its not worth the hassle.

DW and I love the coach. Not a major issue. Be sure to do a thorough walk thru when you take delivery of your coach. Have them fix everything before signing the paperwork and/or driving off.

PG
Montz, Louisiana
Old 05-30-2017, 11:55 PM   #18

THOR #7673
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guidrys View Post
JTroop,

All of the electrical systems along with the fresh water tank are located under the bed. Its accessible only by unscrewing the panel under the mattress located right above the 120v and 12v circuit breaker panels. My rapid camp module was screwed to the left of the panels. It can be easily found for it has a wire hanging that is the antenna. No where on this board is labeled 'Rapid Camp.'

In all honesty, I don't use the 'Rapid Camp' feature much. I used it a few times when I was close to trees near the slide. I can always solicit DW to help if need be.

Also, don't rely on the rapid camps ability to retract your awning in during rain storms. Its not quick by any means, and after having to replace my carefree awning arms, its not worth the hassle.

DW and I love the coach. Not a major issue. Be sure to do a thorough walk thru when you take delivery of your coach. Have them fix everything before signing the paperwork and/or driving off.

PG

Thanks for the info! I nust got the rig home and she drove great. So much. better than what we had.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:21 AM   #19

THOR #1020
jtroop - from experience, have the tech folks point out your slide controllers, circuit breakers under your coach (location and how to reset), Rapid Camp module, locations of slide/bunk driver motors, bunk lock pins (use 'em or come on here and ask how to straighten out your bunk) etc. Each one of these can ruin a trip. I've had wires come loose, bunks catawampus, breakers tripped, etc. If you know where to look, it is a quick fix. Without knowing where to look, you'll come on here to find the answer. Not a big deal, just gotta wait on the help.

I call each one of these issues a knowledge knot. Hit my head on them, raised up a knot, went "darn that hurt" and then pledged not to do it again.

PS: more than likely your sales person won't know the most of these. Go see the service manager - she or he will probably know or one of their folks will.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:44 AM   #20

THOR #7673
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
jtroop - from experience, have the tech folks point out your slide controllers, circuit breakers under your coach (location and how to reset), Rapid Camp module, locations of slide/bunk driver motors, bunk lock pins (use 'em or come on here and ask how to straighten out your bunk) etc. Each one of these can ruin a trip. I've had wires come loose, bunks catawampus, breakers tripped, etc. If you know where to look, it is a quick fix. Without knowing where to look, you'll come on here to find the answer. Not a big deal, just gotta wait on the help.

I call each one of these issues a knowledge knot. Hit my head on them, raised up a knot, went "darn that hurt" and then pledged not to do it again.

PS: more than likely your sales person won't know the most of these. Go see the service manager - she or he will probably know or one of their folks will.
Well, my first question to you or anyone, how do you disable the auto gen start? I pushed test and the green status light blinks. The genset keeps starting up and I have the switch set to off