Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2017, 03:15 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6191
Hi Cosmo - I'm interested in what you've done here. What year Axis do you have?

Old 07-14-2017, 08:31 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Hello,

Just joined the many who have blown a fuse using the factory provided 12V Cig styled power port. Since this tread kind of died out last month I would like to give a shout out to anyone who found a way to replace the Cig sytle power port with a couple of USB charging ports. Advice as to what was used and where it was obtained would be great and a picture or two would be outstanding.

I have an early 2016 Vegas built in May 2015 on the E350 so I am pretty sure the blown fuse is under the hood. Once temps drop below 95 outside I'll check.

Any leads to a better "mini mod" would be appreciated.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:04 PM   #23

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Here are three diagrams that I have saved over the past several years for fuzzes for the dash 12v power outlets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5096.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	5822   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5097.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	5823  

Name:	IMG_5098.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	5824  
Old 07-14-2017, 09:38 PM   #24

THOR #2142
Oneil,

Thanks. Since I have the dash apart and I have 10 days before next RV trip I am looking for a "mini-mod" to make that 12V access more useful. Maybe get a couple of USG charging ports for my GPS and Dash Cam.

Did you see the post (this Forum) where the owner took a solid metal electrical cover plate (62 cents at Lowes) attached it to the dash (where the black rubber mat sits in the little removable plastic cover) and now can suction cup his GPS in place? I'll be using this idea for both GPS and Dash Cam as soon as I can get power available to the area.

This Forum is full of good ideas.

Doc

Old 07-14-2017, 09:49 PM   #25

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Oneil,

Thanks. Since I have the dash apart and I have 10 days before next RV trip I am looking for a "mini-mod" to make that 12V access more useful. Maybe get a couple of USG charging ports for my GPS and Dash Cam.

Did you see the post (this Forum) where the owner took a solid metal electrical cover plate (62 cents at Lowes) attached it to the dash (where the black rubber mat sits in the little removable plastic cover) and now can suction cup his GPS in place? I'll be using this idea for both GPS and Dash Cam as soon as I can get power available to the area.

This Forum is full of good ideas.

Doc
I did see that suction cup mod. I used the round plastic disk that came with the GPS unit and mounted it in the same place. It works great. I have to do the same for the mount of my TPMS which I mount to the left of the steering wheel. It is on a vertical surface and keeps falling off every couple of days.
I installed a small inverter on the floor under the dash and it has 4 USB ports, so I don't need any more up front.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:12 PM   #26

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
Our 2017 Vegas has no cigarette type outlets, they went to all USB.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:48 PM   #27

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Wow - that would be terrible for me. I use one of the two 12V outlets with a 1-3 that I have mounted on the engine cowl. One of those powers my Garmin RV760 GPS.The other 12V outlet holds the display for my RViBrake2 remote display. If I only had USB, I wouldn't be able to use either devices.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:54 PM   #28

THOR #2142
Seems like a bit of an electrial smorgasbord in regards to what was put in the dash access ports. Nice to know there are options .

Doc

Old 07-14-2017, 11:06 PM   #29
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Seems like a bit of an electrial smorgasbord in regards to what was put in the dash access ports. Nice to know there are options .

Doc
Yeah they just put in whatever was within reach of the assembler
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:24 PM   #30

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
What I would like to know is what people do when they have the USB ports and want to plug in a 12V device such as a GPS?
Old 07-14-2017, 11:33 PM   #31

THOR #2142
Yep,

That's a head scratcher. My Garmin requires 12V connect. Searching the internet for various combo 12V and USB splitter right now, sure are a bunch of them.

Doc

Old 07-14-2017, 11:54 PM   #32
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
What I would like to know is what people do when they have the USB ports and want to plug in a 12V device such as a GPS?
Run your own 12v wire and outlet... or for low draw use a step up adapter to bring the 5v USB up to 12... A USB outlet rated at 2A would provide less than 1A at 12v (5V * 2A = 10Watts... 10 Watts/12V = 0.83A.)

I'd opt for running my own 12v outlet...

They have been selling a bunch of the 5v to 12 step up adapters for use with the AT&T Mobley - to power it outside of the OBD2 connector. Low current draw and convenient...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:21 AM   #33

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
If you search for 12 volt usb charger at Ebay or Amazon etc. you will find lots of interesting combo units with USB/Power Port/Meters and so on. Many of them are for boats and other outdoor locations so they have covers on them.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:10 AM   #34

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Texas
THOR #6162
Just a thought but my Garmin RV770LMT had two cables with it. One USB only to connect with computer for updates and the one with cig adapter. The cable to connect to the computer USB also powers the unit. The output of the cig adapter may well be 5v. Will have to try my other cable next time I'm at the RV.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #35

THOR #2142
Chips,

You are correct, lots of options. I am thinking of going with a hardwire to the existing cig 12V and adding one of the units that has the options of USB Ports, another cig 12V and the voltage meter.
I took a look behind the panel and the little cubby hole is only glued in place, should be fairly easy to remove and there is lots of (wasted) space behind it. Thinking about removing the cubby hole making a flush plate then mounting the unit where the cubby hole is.

Doc

Old 07-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #36
Site Team

THOR #7035
I have bought 2 of these from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can either use them in the provided faceplate or remove them and install each one directly in a hole. I used the faceplate near the bed for 12V for my CPAP and USB phone charging. I put the individual ports directly into new holes in my dash for GPS and dashcam power. Thor's engineers put the existing 12 Volt socket inline with the cup holder so if you used the socket, you couldn't put a tall cup in the holder.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:34 PM   #37

THOR #7607
Yes there are some pretty cool power readouts etc. Just keep in mind that the power meters and even unused usb ports will have some little bit of drain on the battery. Not a problem if you're hooked up, underway or on genny but when boondocking its just something else to feed continuously.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:21 PM   #38

THOR #2142
Chips,

I was thinking of hardwiring to the leads on the existing cig 12V port (it has a 30 Amp fuse). Since it only works when the key is in the ignition (at least that is the way mine is wired) there should not be any parasitic drainage on the engine battery...right?

Doc

Old 07-15-2017, 08:21 PM   #39

THOR #7607
Yes that would be right.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:41 AM   #40

THOR #2142
Okay,

I got behind the center console and tightend all nuts and bolts and attachements. The 12V cig plug was very loose as was the combo plug above it. I replaced the 30Amp fuse (thanks for the picture Petew) and nothing blew out. I checked and 13.1 Volts were flowing freely.
I had planned a real "Tim the Toolman" upgrade and was on line looking for options when the DW returned from shopping with the device below...a pink plug in that uses the 12V slot and gives two more USB ports.
For now, I will put my upgrade on the back burner.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1500255607.
Sorry, the picture fell over again.

Doc
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20170716_18_55_34_Pro.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	5867