Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2017, 02:38 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Maryland
THOR #1961
Lost Power to 12V sockets on dashboard

The two 12V "cigarette lighter" sockets on the dash of our 2015 Thor Axis 24.1 suddenly stopped working. We use them for powering our GPS and mobile phone chargers. We found an 'exploded' 30A fuse in the engine compartment and replaced it to no avail. The RV mechanics were afraid to do too much because the wires for the airbag controller are very close, and they were afraid of causing a bigger problem.

Has anyone else had such a problem and who eventually fixed the problem; Thor or Ford?

Thanks

Old 04-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Did you check all of the fuses in the engine compartment? I just had that happen to me. On my 2017 F53 chassis it was fuse #22, which is a 20 amp fuse.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:59 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingVehicle View Post
The two 12V "cigarette lighter" sockets on the dash of our 2015 Thor Axis 24.1 suddenly stopped working. We use them for powering our GPS and mobile phone chargers. We found an 'exploded' 30A fuse in the engine compartment and replaced it to no avail. The RV mechanics were afraid to do too much because the wires for the airbag controller are very close, and they were afraid of causing a bigger problem.

Has anyone else had such a problem and who eventually fixed the problem; Thor or Ford?

Thanks
Same thing happen to me by my fuse box was inside on firewall front left side of driver seat

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #4

THOR #1961
Do you happen to remember what slot the fuse was in?
Thanks for your help.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:49 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
Quote:
Do you happen to remember what slot the fuse was in?
Thanks for your help.
traveling right now but it was on the right hand side about 3-4 up from bottom it also controlled the 2 small fans at windshield

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:27 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
If you are referring to the single 12 volt cigarette lighter style plug on the dash that is controlled ba a 30 amp maxi fuse.
It is located in the driverside engine compartment fuse box . I will try and send you a picture of it but we are camping now and the cell coverage is spotty .
If you are referring to the USB style charging ports they are controlled by a fuse which is located in the fuse box that is in the compartment behind the drivers front wheel. Same compartment that houses your living room slide control box if you have a 24.1 which is what I have.
That fuse is marked as 12 volt accessory .
Old 04-22-2017, 06:46 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Fuse is in the closest row marked with a silver dot . In my 2016 24.1 that fuse controls my dash 12 lot power point
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4044.jpg
Views:	1130
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	4680  
Old 04-23-2017, 02:35 AM   #8

Model: Axis
THOR #3501
You've probably got it sorted by now, but I think that last picture shows where it is in my 2015 25.1. Under the hood - slot F70, 30A Low Profile). I switched it out about 5 times while on the road last year. It blows a LOT. Need to replace the sockets with better ones when I have time (I think they vibrate and cause the fuse to blow).

The fuse locations vary greatly depending on the model year (and when it was built during that year). Especially between the 2014 and 2015s, I think. The manuals are absolutely useless, but the Forum has been a lifesaver - I can usually find the answer to any question asked by a (non-Thor) mechanic on here in less than 10 minutes.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:55 PM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
In case you're still looking for the fuse and I know you've received several responses on this, but in my 2015 24.1 Axis it is located in the outside compartment under the driver's area. It's F17 and labeled "Power Point".
Old 04-24-2017, 10:14 PM   #10

State: Arizona
THOR #7240
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48in366 View Post
You've probably got it sorted by now, but I think that last picture shows where it is in my 2015 25.1. Under the hood - slot F70, 30A Low Profile). I switched it out about 5 times while on the road last year. It blows a LOT. Need to replace the sockets with better ones when I have time (I think they vibrate and cause the fuse to blow).

The fuse locations vary greatly depending on the model year (and when it was built during that year). Especially between the 2014 and 2015s, I think. The manuals are absolutely useless, but the Forum has been a lifesaver - I can usually find the answer to any question asked by a (non-Thor) mechanic on here in less than 10 minutes.
I had the same problem yesterday. Mine looks exactly like your picture. Found it under the hood on the driver's side. 2012 Ford E350. Thanks for the information.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:45 AM   #11

State: California
THOR #7721
My 2016 Axis 24.1 has the same problem. The fuse for my RV is slot #70 in the fuse panel inside the engine compartment. I also noticed a spark every time I insert a plug into the 12 volt power supply unit and the fuse then blows again. I'll try replacing the 12 volt supply unit mounted on the dash. Cross your fingers.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:52 AM   #12

Model: SOB
State: Colorado
THOR #2733
I've developed the same issue for my 2016 25.1. Fuse to 12 volt charger in dash was blown, I was able to find it thanks to this forum. The replacement fuse I inserted blew immediately.

I'm hoping the problem is the charger socket itself.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:13 PM   #13

THOR #1961
Lo st power to 12V outlets

Wow! Please keep me informed as to your progress. I would sure like to find a permanent fix for this problem.
Do you think we could replace the sockets with USB sockets? Maybe they are better made.

Looking forward to your response. Thanks
Old 06-07-2017, 12:44 AM   #14

State: Washington
THOR #6616
Check the fuse

Inside the Front lower compartment on the drivers side, there's a fuse panel.
F-17 Power Point is the one. 20A. (bring needle nose plyers) It won't look "Cooked" until you pull it. This is based on a 2014 24.1 Thor Axis. I just did it so I know it's the right one.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:28 PM   #15

THOR #3552
I needed more charging ports so I replaced the factory socket with 4 sockets and 2 usb ports. The factory socket is really cheap and if it loosens up it will short and blow the fuse. I also added a switch since these sockets are powered by the chassis battery.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:20 PM   #16

THOR #1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I needed more charging ports so I replaced the factory socket with 4 sockets and 2 usb ports. The factory socket is really cheap and if it loosens up it will short and blow the fuse. I also added a switch since these sockets are powered by the chassis battery.
Ok, all of the answers I have received have helped me determine where the problem is, somewhere between the fuse F17 and the 12V ports.

I really liked the most recent response and would like to know where I could get the replacement with the 4 USB ports and 2 sockets or something similar. Want good quality!

Thanks for the help
Old 06-07-2017, 07:57 PM   #17

State: Washington
THOR #6616
To be clear....

Quote:
Ok, all of the answers I have received have helped me determine where the problem is, somewhere between the fuse F17 and the 12V ports.

I really liked the most recent response and would like to know where I could get the replacement with the 4 USB ports and 2 sockets or something similar. Want good quality!

Thanks for the help
I'm referring to the front STORAGE compartment on the driver's side NOT the engine compartment.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:28 PM   #18

THOR #1961
No problem, that is where I found it.

Any thoughts as to where I can find the new parts?

Another question, does the new piece fit where the old 2 12V sockets fit?
Old 06-07-2017, 08:35 PM   #19

THOR #3552
I bought marine grade outlets from Amazon and mounted them under the current outlets on a tray I have velcroed to the dog house (need to be able to remove everything for engine access). I used the old hole in the dash to mount the switch. The good news is that the original wiring and fuse are enough to support addition outlets. I use the outlets for a GPS, dash_cam and addition backup cam (the original one is half covered by my paddle boards).

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Grade-.../dp/B0002KRC5Y
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12voutlet.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	5190  
Old 06-13-2017, 01:36 AM   #20

Model: SOB
State: Colorado
THOR #2733
12 volt charger socket fixed - for now.....

Update on my blown fuse for the 12 volt charger in the dash - After blowing 2 new fuses upon insertion, I replaced the 12 volt charger socket and, for now, the problem is fixed.