Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2019, 10:14 PM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #7580
Low voltage issue

Ok Guys,
I know there have been previous post on this, but I haven't been able to locate them. Poor wifi in this area isn't helping.

We're on the second leg of our trip from NC to Maine. Camping site not level, but with ramps was able to level mh. However, I'm getting a low voltage message and the leveling system won't allow me to do anything. LCI system.

I just got off the road after driving 6 hours, so I'm not sure why I'm getting a low voltage message? Any help appreciated.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
1 - What coach do you have?
2 - Is the engine running and the parking brake set?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:37 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford View Post
Ok Guys,
I know there have been previous post on this, but I haven't been able to locate them. Poor wifi in this area isn't helping.

We're on the second leg of our trip from NC to Maine. Camping site not level, but with ramps was able to level mh. However, I'm getting a low voltage message and the leveling system won't allow me to do anything. LCI system.

I just got off the road after driving 6 hours, so I'm not sure why I'm getting a low voltage message? Any help appreciated.
Low voltages on the jacks is indicating either the house batteries or chassis battery or both are below 12.7 volts. With the engine running and the store/use switch in the use position (master power on) after 4 minutes, both batteries should be reading above this 12.7 volts. If the voltages are low you could have a bad BIRD or BIM. As a temporary work around, you could start the generator and run it for around 4 minutes, then trying to low lower the jacks. If no low battery indication. then you know the alternator is not charging the house batteries. If you still get a low voltage with the generator running, I would guess you have a chassis battery going bad.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:41 PM   #4

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Leave the engine running during the jack deployment to ensure the alternator is also charging the coach batteries and assisting with high current as required by the hydraulic pump motor. After a long trip you would think the coach batteries would be charged, but if they are old perhaps they are not performing as they should. Parking brake on and turn on the system.....should get you some leveling action.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:06 PM   #5

THOR #7580
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
1 - What coach do you have?

2 - Is the engine running and the parking brake set?

Sorry, 2016 Challenger. Motor running, parking brake set.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:09 PM   #6

THOR #7580
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Leave the engine running during the jack deployment to ensure the alternator is also charging the coach batteries and assisting with high current as required by the hydraulic pump motor. After a long trip you would think the coach batteries would be charged, but if they are old perhaps they are not performing as they should. Parking brake on and turn on the system.....should get you some leveling action.

Coach batteries less than 6 months old. Chassis battery 3 years. I'll try it with the generator running. I'm set for now, just gotta get it working before we move again.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:11 PM   #7

THOR #7580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Low voltages on the jacks is indicating either the house batteries or chassis battery or both are below 12.7 volts. With the engine running and the store/use switch in the use position (master power on) after 4 minutes, both batteries should be reading above this 12.7 volts. If the voltages are low you could have a bad BIRD or BIM. As a temporary work around, you could start the generator and run it for around 4 minutes, then trying to low lower the jacks. If no low battery indication. then you know the alternator is not charging the house batteries. If you still get a low voltage with the generator running, I would guess you have a chassis battery going bad.

What is a BIRD and Bim?
Old 09-18-2019, 11:20 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
What is a BIRD and Bim?
Bi-directional Relay Delay (BIRD). Connects the house battery to the chassis battery or vice-versa. Battery Interconnect Module (BIM) A solid state BIRD.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:56 PM   #9

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Maybe it is time to break out the digital voltmeter and see what the coach batteries are actually getting from the alternator when the engine is running. Should be over 14 vdc at least and should also be identical (or very close) to what the chassis battery is seeing.

If the coach batteries are not seeing 14+vdc with engine running then you likely have a problem with the relay system that ties chassis and coach batteries together. It would be interesting to operate the emergency start switch and see if you hear a clunk sound from the emergency start relay. No sound would confirm a problem with the battery control cct or the relay. "If" this coach uses a BIRD system it may just be a blown 5 amp fuse on the relay. Typical BIRD system schematic attached just for info...it may not be what is actually used in your coach.....it also shows two latching control relays which may also not be applicable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BIRD Basic Schematic.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	20341  
Old 09-19-2019, 12:19 AM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Coach batteries less than 6 months old. Chassis battery 3 years. I'll try it with the generator running. I'm set for now, just gotta get it working before we move again.
Good news is the jacks will retract with the low voltage warning and you can deploy them manually with the warning as long as you don't have a seriously low voltage problem (like under 12.0 VDC).
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #11

THOR #7580
First of all, thanks for all the help and suggestions. I love this forum. I checked the chassis and coach batteries and they are reading 13.6. I will check the chassis battery again with the engine running to be sure. Thor CS thinks it's a reset issue. If all else fails, I can manually retract until I figure what is going on. Thanks again to all.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:14 PM   #12

THOR #7580
Quote:
First of all, thanks for all the help and suggestions. I love this forum. I checked the chassis and coach batteries and they are reading 13.6. I will check the chassis battery again with the engine running to be sure. Thor CS thinks it's a reset issue. If all else fails, I can manually retract until I figure what is going on. Thanks again to all.

To follow up, I had to manually retract the Lifts after reset didn't work. Then received a message of automatic retract when I put the mh in gear, plus a constant beep. Finally used the generator as suggested to get enough voltage to resolve the error message and eliminate the beep. Used generator again last night to level. Replaced the chassis battery today. I hope that's sufficient.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:35 AM   #13

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Have you checked the battery connections for tightness? The hydraulic pump requires high current.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:03 PM   #14

THOR #7580
After consulting with LCI tech, and a number of walk thru test, it appears that the hydraulic pump assembly is bad. I've ordered a replacement and will tackle that once home. LCI tech was awesome. Very impressed.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:12 PM   #15

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
the next time this happens, try a few things:

- use MANUAL mode, which bypasses the 'low voltage' light and allows you to level the coach on your own, simply pressing the buttons that correlate with the lighted 'arrows' showing you which legs need to bring the coach up.

- use the AUX, or EMERGENCY START, switch, which will tie the two battery banks, Chassis and House, together, possibly giving the system the voltage it 'needs' if you want to use the 'automatic' Leveling button.

the Low Voltage alert is a condition of the HOUSE battery bank, which is what operates the hydraulic leveling system. It is simply a way for the manufacturer to tell the owner that the House batteries might not be high enough to properly allow the system to go thru it's full paces to get the coach level. I believe they initially set this 'level' too high, which is why you may see this 'low voltage' warning more often than is really needed.

Running the generator, or being plugged into shore power, simply gives the House batteries a 'boost' of charge voltage while you are operating the leveling system, but otherwise it's not necessary in the majority of cases. I think you'll find that while it may show the alert, you'll still always be able to perform the leveling in MANUAL mode without any issue, and can usually do it BETTER than the Automatic system does.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote