Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2016, 10:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Taillights a Joke

I read many times on the forum about the taillights leaking and the damage that is done behind the light. Well today I took one off and what a joke, the wood was soaked and rotting away. I did the black rubber spray then used some gasket sealer, stainless screws and will silicone the outside. What a cheap way to put the lights together. Tomorrow I attack the other one. I probable should replace the whole unit but don't know where to begin. Thanks to this forum I checked them.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:33 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
I read many times on the forum about the taillights leaking and the damage that is done behind the light. Well today I took one off and what a joke, the wood was soaked and rotting away. I did the black rubber spray then used some gasket sealer, stainless screws and will silicone the outside. What a cheap way to put the lights together. Tomorrow I attack the other one. I probable should replace the whole unit but don't know where to begin. Thanks to this forum I checked them.
Was the the first time they have been removed. In other words is this poor sealing job something the factory did? If so how old is the motorhome?

When I look at our near new moho, I seen the edges of what appears to be a thin rubber gasket made from something that looks like thin wetsuit type rubber.

Ken
Old 08-17-2016, 11:41 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Ag&Au: The gasket around the taillights is a foam material that compresses and allows for leaks. It really only is a matter of time before they leak. (It isn't rubber, its foam.)

You can see my solution here: Busy day with the Axis.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:29 AM   #4

THOR #992
First time of its a 2012 but only been used a lot last 2 years we bought it 2 years old with 1600 miles. We love it for us but I kept reading about the taillights on this forum and thought time to check it. There is another thread on here about what people did.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:31 AM   #5

THOR #992
I did the JamieGeek fix.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:19 AM   #6

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Ag&Au: The gasket around the taillights is a foam material that compresses and allows for leaks. It really only is a matter of time before they leak. (It isn't rubber, its foam.)

You can see my solution here: Busy day with the Axis.
Thanks Jamie,

From the photos, it appears that you totally waterproofed the recess and surrounding wood and then replaced the light without a gasket because the gasket was no longer necessary.

Is that correct?

These forums are great for helping newbies like me avoid the problems others have encountered.

Ken
Old 08-18-2016, 01:32 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au
From the photos, it appears that you totally waterproofed the recess and surrounding wood and then replaced the light without a gasket because the gasket was no longer necessary.
Yes I waterproofed the recess and surrounding area but I did re-use the gasket that was there. Had I made my masking slightly larger than the taillight it probably would not have been necessary to re-use the gasket (and as mentioned in that thread I could have also covered the screw holes).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote