Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2019, 02:39 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Magnetic door switch

The automatic steps are haunted. Seem to have a mind of their own. Is the on/off switch faulty?

Old 01-22-2019, 03:26 AM   #2

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
What exactly are your steps doing? Going in and out on their own? Are they wet? Door open or closed? Step switch on or off? I had an issue with our last Southwind where the steps worked sometimes, sometimes not. Sometimes they would extend part way, then retract. On our Aria from the time it was new, anytime the steps got wet they would just run in and out whenever they wanted, including going down the road, sitting still in my driveway with the door closed or open. The issues with both rigs was solved by changing the step controller (located under the step mountings). Bought the first one on Amazon, Thor sent the second directly to me as it was under warranty. Hope this helps a little.
Mike
Old 01-22-2019, 03:45 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Well, our minds can't read your mind so you have to be more descriptive of what you are experiencing.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:02 AM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Look at your door switch. It could be loose, or have a loose wire
Old 01-22-2019, 12:33 PM   #5

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Well, our minds can't read your mind so you have to be more descriptive of what you are experiencing.
Haunted since It’s so random. fortunately not while driving down the road. Doesn’t appear to have anything to do with wet. Sometimes it works when you open the door. Sometimes is open and closes for no reason. Sometimes closes when the door opens, the steps go out, you go in and it closes on your feet. Sometimes the steps just won’t go out. More afraid someone is going to fall out of the RV one of these days.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:34 PM   #6

Model: Aria 3401
State: Arkansas
THOR #12542
Having them move when they shouldn't is certainly a safety issue.

The Lippert Kwikee steps on our Aria gave us trouble, but the issue was always that they didn't move (extend or retract) when they should have. Ours were stuck out when we needed to go, so I unbolted them from the coach and tossed them in the towed.

I don't know what brand steps you have, but troubleshooting isn't too bad on the Kwikee steps if you are comfortable with a multimeter and basic circuit diagrams. I found the diagram and troubleshooting steps online. Our problem was either water in the controller or a flaky connection. They've been working fine since drying out the controller and reinstalling.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
i was so dissapointed when we made the jump from sprinter to E450 and i lost the auto steps. but from what ive read with nothing but problem with them. im glad i got a plane jaine RV .
Old 01-23-2019, 12:56 AM   #8

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemaster View Post
i was so dissapointed when we made the jump from sprinter to E450 and i lost the auto steps. but from what ive read with nothing but problem with them. im glad i got a plane jaine RV .
Urgh. Rather have step problems 😜
Old 01-23-2019, 12:59 AM   #9

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyphoid View Post
Having them move when they shouldn't is certainly a safety issue.

The Lippert Kwikee steps on our Aria gave us trouble, but the issue was always that they didn't move (extend or retract) when they should have. Ours were stuck out when we needed to go, so I unbolted them from the coach and tossed them in the towed.

I don't know what brand steps you have, but troubleshooting isn't too bad on the Kwikee steps if you are comfortable with a multimeter and basic circuit diagrams. I found the diagram and troubleshooting steps online. Our problem was either water in the controller or a flaky connection. They've been working fine since drying out the controller and reinstalling.
I don’t know the brand but I’m sure to be poking around looking for it now. 👍
Old 01-23-2019, 02:11 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
I fought an unreliable electric step for about 2 months. So much so I bought a portable step just encase, it did not go out. The emergency retract always worked. Finally the three year old chassis battery died and would not start the engine. Replacing the chassis battery with Walmart's finest cured the step problem.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:16 AM   #11

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I fought an unreliable electric step for about 2 months. So much so I bought a portable step just encase, it did not go out. The emergency retract always worked. Finally the three year old chassis battery died and would not start the engine. Replacing the chassis battery with Walmart's finest cured the step problem.
Thanks for the input. Two brand new AGM’s three weeks ago.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:51 AM   #12

Model: Aria 3401
State: Arkansas
THOR #12542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
I don’t know the brand but I’m sure to be poking around looking for it now. [emoji106]
Finding the brand on ours was a challenge because the only sticker on it was a part number that didn't come up in a Google search. I had to just match pictures to find the make and model. Hopefully yours is marked better.