Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Minnesota
THOR #5462
Magnum ME-RC standard remote control

We have a 2016 Thor Palazzo diesel I would appreciate any assistance in understanding this system I have read and reread the owners manual but sorry don't get it all
1. When plugged into shore should I leave the inverter and charger buttons in the "on" position? Currently they are on batteries r fully charged and the led light is blinking
2. How do I set the system to automatically turn on my generator when either power fails or batteries get low
3. I have watched some videos which tell me u can be more energy efficient when on shore power to use your batteries and let the shore power charge them any truth to that? This keeps the electric bill down
These are my main questions any help is appreciated

Old 04-28-2018, 04:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I'll only speak to what I know: There is no way that converting 120 VAC to 12 VDC then back to 120 VAC would be more efficient that just using the original 120 VAC.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:44 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyfou View Post
2016 Thor Palazzo diesel

1. When plugged into shore should I leave the inverter and charger buttons in the "on" position? Currently they are on batteries r fully charged and the led light is blinking YES, we've never turned ours off in 3 1/2 years. No reason to, and it also provides you 'back up' power in case your Shore Power is lost, while the Charger is always on to keep your batteries charged, otherwise, they won't be.

2. How do I set the system to automatically turn on my generator when either power fails or batteries get low press the AGS button, then ENABLE the AGS setting, use VOLTS at 12.0, then RUN TIME at 30 mins... than also set your SHORE button to 40amps. All this will allow your generator to run automatically by the AGS when your battery volts fall below this level for two minutes. OF course, this is mainly when you are not on Shore Power, dry-camping without external electricity.

3. I have watched some videos which tell me u can be more energy efficient when on shore power to use your batteries and let the shore power charge them any truth to that? This keeps the electric bill down
These are my main questions any help is appreciated Don't have a clue what you are referring to, but when on Shore Power you will have the full electricity from the external power, whether or not your Inverter is on.... there's no reason to turn it off, though, as said #1. There is no 'way' to offset external power since the Inverter matters not in that equation. What 'electricity bill' are you referring to?
enjoy! : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:32 PM   #4

THOR #5462
Thank you so much the electric bill I refer to
We r parked on shore power for the winter months we pay our own electric the video I watched referred the monitor system setting the priameters so u run off the batteries then recharge with shore power would keep electric bill down.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyfou View Post
Thank you so much the electric bill I refer to
We r parked on shore power for the winter months we pay our own electric the video I watched referred the monitor system setting the priameters so u run off the batteries then recharge with shore power would keep electric bill down.
And how is that supposed to work since you use the same energy from SP to charge the batteries that you used from the batteries plus energy due to battery and conversion inefficiencies?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:12 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
no, somebody gave you wrong information... the video may have been referring to an 'off grid' cabin or house that has 'grid electricity' for back up, but they try to use their solar power primarily... but that won't work for motorhomes, unless you have a HYBRID type inverter system that can use all incoming solar power to offset any needs for the grid-electric from the rv park.

now, could you simply 'unplug' from Shore power during the day, use only items from your inverter(no air conditioning, elec water heater, etc), allow the incoming solar to 'recharge' your batteries, and then only use 'grid-electricity' during the overnight for any battery charging needed? Sure. It's doubtful, though, that this method would greatly reduce your electricity charges since you may find yourself plugging back into the grid for the items that don't run on the inverter, or if the sun is not 'out'(cloudy, rain, etc).

You can always give it a try, though when there is a lot of good sun, there's usually also a lot of high heat that goes with it. If you can bear the heat, it might be worth a shot. In the long run, it's doubtful that the overall difference will be worth the effort. But, you would have to either 'unplug' or 'trip' the shore power breaker.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:17 PM   #7

THOR #5462
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
no, somebody gave you wrong information... the video may have been referring to an 'off grid' cabin or house that has 'grid electricity' for back up, but they try to use their solar power primarily... but that won't work for motorhomes, unless you have a HYBRID type inverter system that can use all incoming solar power to offset any needs for the grid-electric from the rv park.

now, could you simply 'unplug' from Shore power during the day, use only items from your inverter(no air conditioning, elec water heater, etc), allow the incoming solar to 'recharge' your batteries, and then only use 'grid-electricity' during the overnight for any battery charging needed? Sure. It's doubtful, though, that this method would greatly reduce your electricity charges since you may find yourself plugging back into the grid for the items that don't run on the inverter, or if the sun is not 'out'(cloudy, rain, etc).

You can always give it a try, though when there is a lot of good sun, there's usually also a lot of high heat that goes with it. If you can bear the heat, it might be worth a shot. In the long run, it's doubtful that the overall difference will be worth the effort. But, you would have to either 'unplug' or 'trip' the shore power breaker.
I understand now I certainly appreciate u explaining this u have been extremely helpful. I Also appreciate u explaining the two other items most helpful