Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2017, 09:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #3340
Dish installation in Thor Axis 2014

I've read some of the older posts and I'm confused. Can't I just plug in the coaxial from the Tailgator into the cable plug on the outside of the rig and then take the cable intake from the back of the TV, plug it into the Wally and then a coaxial from the Wally to the back of the TV - making sure that he switch is not on antenna but on cable?

Old 08-16-2017, 10:01 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
I don't know about Dish but with DirecTV you can't have anything between the LNB (on the sat dish) and the receiver. DirecTV calls the coax lead a "home run" which comes from the Romex house wiring (direct from the circuit breaker to the duplex wall receptacle - home run). On most coaches there is an amplifier circuit in the coax to power the external antenna and a splitter for the cable TV input. These circuit interrupters must be removed (or bypassed) for the receiver to communicate with the LNB and power the LNB.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:50 AM   #3

THOR #3340
Thank you. Guess it couldn't just be simple! Hah! A lot of folks have satellite so I bet I can figure it out or hire someone to do it for me in my coach. Thanks for the quick response.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:38 AM   #4

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I have DISH. I run the coax from the Trailblazer antenna through the window above the sink and up to the top cabinet where my DISH Hopper receiver lives. The output from the Hopper goes to the HDMI connector in the cabinet. There is a plug for power on the top shelf also.

One can not run the Trailblazer antenna through the coach coax and have it distributed to all the TVs. First the antenna communicates with the receiver and there is voltage on the coax line. [NOTE some people have shown a mod to allow this to work]. Since I only watch TV in the main cabin, this is not an issue. Second, the output of the Hopper is HDMI.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:20 AM   #5

THOR #3340
That sounds like a good idea. I'll go see if I can connect to HDMI in my cabinet. Thank you.

Tags
satellite install