Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Post Maintenance Logs

For our last motorhome I kept a maintenance "diary." Had blank sheets in a binder. When I performed any maintenance I noted the date, mileage, engine hours, and generator hours. Then I wrote out what maintenance I performed and what items/products I used to perform it. For this rig I was thinking about keeping a spreadsheet on the computer instead.

I was wondering how you keep your maintenance records. If you have created a spreadsheet I would love to steal your ideas as well. Let me know your methods, and post your spreadsheets, please.

2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:03 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I log everything we do, mileage from every point to another, where we go, fuel we take on, cool events we visit and all maintenance including repairs made. I just keep it in a binder notebook that stays in the MH. Friends can write notes and comments and there's always paper available for grocery lists, etc. I will pass this on to the new buyer when we sell it. There are times we will pass something we wan to go back to someday and we'll make notes of that on the fly. A spreadsheet is nice but it's like pictures in your phone....out of site...out of mind. I do scan receipts into a folder so the paperwork doesn't pile up. There are a number of pre-printed log books you can buy specifically for maintenance. I like the "old ways" of doing things...like you did before.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #3

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I log everything we do, mileage from every point to another, where we go, fuel we take on, cool events we visit and all maintenance including repairs made. I just keep it in a binder notebook that stays in the MH. Friends can write notes and comments and there's always paper available for grocery lists, etc. I will pass this on to the new buyer when we sell it. There are times we will pass something we wan to go back to someday and we'll make notes of that on the fly. A spreadsheet is nice but it's like pictures in your phone....out of site...out of mind. I do scan receipts into a folder so the paperwork doesn't pile up. There are a number of pre-printed log books you can buy specifically for maintenance. I like the "old ways" of doing things...like you did before.
Yeah those "old ways" do have their advantages. In the previous log I had comments about how things looked, and how I performed things, etc. So much more info than a check box. If it ever came down to lawyers being involved I am sure a good one could argue the diary provides better proof of maintenance performed than a simple check box type form. Our binder stays in the rig, too, but I never got to the point of having a comments section for visitors and friends. My Australian Shepherd keeps visitors to a minimum anyway. LOL
Old 05-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #11919
I use a handwritten diary as well. Easier and good record for next buyer. When I traded in the last camper the dealer asked for records and was impressed with the diary. Given I was able to “prove” the unit was maintained and generator exercised I believe I got a better deal.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #5

THOR #11130
The comment section wasn't intentional. A very dear friend from Michigan flew down last fall and we went to Savannah for a week. Two months later I found two pages of very sweet comments she wrote a few pages forward in the log. Brought tears to my eyes. In the front of the book there are a couple pages of "Emergency Procedures" in the event the train took a dirt road...people to call, contact numbers, etc.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:10 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
I keep a small notebook in the cockpit with me. I just write down the miles and date for oil changes or anything else the I do to the chassis/engine etc.

I dont write down any modes I have done ....but perhaps I need to put the important things like Invertor or if I have to replace the water pump (for fresh water) etc.

I figured once we start going on long trips I would start a log book with trip related stuff. Right now we just been local since my mom is ill.

I like the idea of a note secton for friends and family. I will have to incorporate that with my "big trips" book
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:30 PM   #7

THOR #11130
Make sure the "friends comments" pages can be torn out if needed without destroying the book!!!
Old 05-21-2019, 05:58 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
Yep, I thought about that already.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:53 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I keep two logs on my cell. One for maintenance the other for mileage of my trips

I also post most if what I do on my mod thread. The main reason for starting it was to keep track if everything I do to the mh

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:53 PM   #10

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
I use an Exel program to spreadsheet all my maintenance performed.
date
mileage
what was done or replaced
oddities found that need corrected
notes to what the cures were to oddities corrected
part numbers
type of oil used
etc

I do not keep grocery or fuel records.
This file is on a computer back up kept with the rig.
Maintenance manuals, et. al. are kept in a notebook folder in with the maps box.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:10 AM   #11

Model: Allegro Open Road
THOR #8069
I must be the odd one out? I record nothing I do to the coach, get in it drive and enjoy. Change oil and filter and grease front end every November also do the generator.
Some people record gas mileage why? when it gets to 1/4 tank I fill it up. But if it makes people feel better, than do it.
A few weeks ago I was intrested in a trade in, the dealer told me what ever you put in to the coach does not increase its value including written records. They use blue book only and will give you a couple of K to make the deal if they have to.
As far as private resale,that may be different.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:34 AM   #12

THOR #11130
No one here mentioned logging mileage...if you bought this thing for mileage...sorry for you. No one her mentioned getting a higher value because of a log. It's just a fun thing to do and it adds history to your experience. It's fun to go back and read through the books, reliving your wonderful experiences and sharing them with your family. Should you have a warranty issue with your chassis...it would probably help you. It's not matter of needing something to make me to feel better...it's just a choice people make...so be it. The assumption of the OP was that most keep records and how do you do it. He is correct...most people do.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I am with Ron1z, I do however keep the box tops form the oil filters and write the mileage and date. I then throw them in the Thor bag that has all the manuals and stuff. I would never go back and read the stuff I put in a folder, when I trade the unit all the records will get pitched anyway so who am I keeping them for.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #14

THOR #11266
I keep the records for myself. If I were to sell it myself one day rather than trading it those records could possibly help close a sale. But, mainly, I do it for my own peace of mind and to assist with any potential warranty argument. Those records come in handy when I go to perform an annual task and I want a memory refresher. Also in my folder is a PM schedule to remimd me WHEN to perform certain things. In the Navy we had PM manuals for every imaginable thing. Never an excuse to have not done something. A chart/flowsheet tells you when to do, a manual explains how, and a record of what you did.

As far as how detailed the record gets...well if someone wants to see fuel economy trends why not? A sudden or even gradual change might signal a problem otherwise unnoticed. I don't do that simply because of the variables, but I could see it being useful for trip planning. I don't have a comments section like Gritz. But we have a Facebook group we started with RV friends. Records exist to recount and relive. Can't imagine why someone would not want at least a basic record of maintenance, but we all have our different ways don't we?
Old 05-22-2019, 12:28 PM   #15

THOR #11130
I don't have a "comments section", per se. A friend traveling with us just happened to write in my log. There will not be that many people traveling with us for that. My log is not much different than the thousands of pictures everyone takes with their phones...just a recording of fun moments to look back on. Also, if someone is looking for things to do in a given area (many posts here like that) I will have something to share with them. The day one can remember every bad road, steep inclines, great campgrounds, outstanding little "hole-in-the-wall" places to not miss and the best routes to take...there will be no need to write things down. No one that smart would ever buy a motorhome in the first place.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:05 PM   #16

Model: Thor Chateau 24F
State: Colorado
THOR #15337
Great Ideas

I like the idea of an analog log; great way to not only keep track of maintenance items, but also interesting facts about the ongoing journey!
Old 06-04-2019, 12:45 AM   #17

State: California
THOR #10044
Old fashioned log book here. I print a form for each vehicle and the lawn mower.
I Record the mileage and date of events: oil changes, tune ups, tire rotations, fixes and maintenance of any kind. Time slips away and after a year or so it is extremely helpful to have a record to fall back on. I also use a face sheet for each vehicle -a quick reference. Oil filter # and brand, oil weight and capacity, air filter #, tire pressures recommended, etc. It all saves time and helps this old geezer stay organized and not so forgetful.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:09 AM   #18

State: Texas
THOR #11781
Basic spreadsheet with tabs for manufacturer's defects discovered, preventative maintenance, repairs. Keep it on a thumb drive.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote