Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2016, 09:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Connecticut
THOR #3421
Jensen JRV212t blank screen

I recently purchased a 2013 Palazzo, all of a sudden the Jensen JRV212t touch screen went blank, volume still worked but static only.
I tried reset button, nothing.
Does anyone have a suggestion for this repair.
I have noticed that this has occurred to others but the fix seemed random with no one particular method.
Thank You in advance for any advice.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:44 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You might want to read this thread:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...creen-775.html

I think the repair is simply to warranty replace the unit--although since yours is a 2013 I don't think you'd get it covered.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:58 PM   #3

THOR #3421
Thanks JG,
I had read that before, I lack the tools to pull it but might try making something up.
Sounds easy enough.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:56 PM   #4

THOR #3421
Fixed:-)
A hanger, a flashlight, pulled the unit, disconnected then reconnected each prong.
5 minutes!
Old 09-17-2016, 01:48 PM   #5

State: Louisiana
THOR #5442
Did you disconnect the battery before doing this? We haven't tried doing the battery disconnect yet. We cannot find the U-shape part to pull the unit out. We will try to find a wire hanger to get it out and see if we can disconnect to it.

Thank you for sharing the info!
Old 09-29-2016, 05:56 PM   #6

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
This radio is junk and should have been recalled

I have 5000 miles on my rig and I have the exact issue as the original post but no luck getting it back up and working.
After searching some of the other forums I am amazed at the number of people with the exact same problem and it's been going on for YEARS! I don't care if I bought a cheaper motorhome or any of the other nonsense. The complete failure of this radio has been now going on for years and Thor keeps putting them in and Jensen keeps making them. The only ones we're hearing about are those people that are members of this forum. I can only imagine how many of these have failed industry wide. Probably thousands and at $500-$900 a pop this is just wrong! THIS PIECE OF CRAP SHOULD HAVE BEEN RECALLED years ago but instead I get a recall to have my shower door replaced because of some flammability issue?
Old 10-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Our Jensen JRV212t was working intermittently. The display turning on and off every few seconds. During our 3800 mile trip I pulled the radio out and checked the connections for tightness but that didn't help. Then 200 miles before the end of the trip, the display turned on and stayed on and the radio now works fine. I suspect it will not continue to function properly. The most important use for the radio for me is the backup camera display.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #8

Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #2248
Deep in the original thread referenced by JamieGeek I asked about the blank screen I had just got on my Jensen 212!
The simple procedure relayed to me was put the "use/store" switch in 'store" by the door and then disconnect the chassis battery. Wait a short period-I counted down a minute- and restore power by the switch and reconnect the battery. That lasted about a year and recently reappeared so I repeated the procedure and it is back to normal now.
No tools required (I have a cutoff switch for the chassis batteries) and simple and if I have to do it once a year I can live with it vs. switching to a new radio at $700 by Jensen.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:20 PM   #9

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
The simple procedure relayed to me was put the "use/store" switch in 'store" by the door and then disconnect the chassis battery. Wait a short period-I counted down a minute- and restore power by the switch and reconnect the battery. That lasted about a year and recently reappeared so I repeated the procedure and it is back to normal now...
That is very interesting. I just had the almost opposite occurrence. After having the screen turn off and on for over two weeks, it began working fine. Then I put the RV in its storage mode, which is to place the storage/use switch in the storage position, disconnect the coach batteries with a battery switch, and place all batteries on battery maintainers. The next day I needed to move the RV so I disconnected the maintainers, closed the battery switch, and set the storage/use switch to use. The screen was blank and remained blank. Apparently the loss of power to the radio caused the hiccup in the screen. The radio still works, but only with the remote.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:34 PM   #10

THOR #2248
Metalman,
You said " its storage mode, which is to place the storage/use switch in the storage position, disconnect the coach batteries with a battery switch".

Did you mean chassis batteries instead of coach batteries? If not you are taking redundant actions and more importantly not disconnecting all power to the radio as it can draw power from either battery bank - chassis and coach! The point as explained to me is to remove all power from the radio!

However, your problem may be different. I do not have a remote for my unit. Didn't know there was one! I bought it last year and the previous owner probably lost it or just forgot to include it! However, 99% of the time we only use it when driving so remote is not important for us!
Old 10-04-2016, 12:46 PM   #11

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by ournextstop View Post
Metalman,
You said " its storage mode, which is to place the storage/use switch in the storage position, disconnect the coach batteries with a battery switch".

Did you mean chassis batteries instead of coach batteries? If not you are taking redundant actions and more importantly not disconnecting all power to the radio as it can draw power from either battery bank - chassis and coach! The point as explained to me is to remove all power from the radio!

Apparently my radio is wired differently than yours. The only way I can remove all power from the radio is to disconnect the chassis batteries from the coach.

However, your problem may be different. I do not have a remote for my unit. Didn't know there was one! I bought it last year and the previous owner probably lost it or just forgot to include it! However, 99% of the time we only use it when driving so remote is not important for us!
I did a search on the Web and found a remote for the radio. If you are interested I can look though the paperwork and see if I can find where I bought it. (The RV is in the repair shop getting the faulty AC attended to.) I use it while driving to tune stations and adjust the volume. I drive with the seat pushed back and even with my long arms, it is a long reach to the radio controls.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:19 PM   #12

THOR #2248
Thanx for the offer on the remote. But I will pass on it! DW takes care of the radio if I am driving and it is on or vice-versa!! And, frequently we don't even have it on!!
And, it MTBF (mean time between failure) gets too short I will replace it, but right now it seems to be good for 6-8 months between problems!! I can live with that for now as long as it is so easy to get it back!