Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2018, 07:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Florida
THOR #6451
Miramar slide issue

I noticed the last couple of times I used the dinning/living room slide I heard a "clunk" noise while bringing in the slide. The "clunk" happened right when the slide was a couple of inches of being completly restracted. The next time I used the motorhome, I looked under the slide while it was open. It looks like there are several metal smooth tracks that are about 6 inches wide that the rollors on the bottom of the slide ride on. One of mine was warped and coming loose as several of the screws were pulled out (striped). I was able to retract the slide OK but it's at the dealer now getting worked on. Was just curious if anyone else had seen this type of issue before. I looked at several other slides on multiple motorhomes at the Tampa RV show and they either didn't have these tracks or the entire bottom of the slide was sheet metal.

Burch

Old 02-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37 LX
THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgator View Post
I noticed the last couple of times I used the dinning/living room slide I heard a "clunk" noise while bringing in the slide. The "clunk" happened right when the slide was a couple of inches of being completly restracted. The next time I used the motorhome, I looked under the slide while it was open. It looks like there are several metal smooth tracks that are about 6 inches wide that the rollors on the bottom of the slide ride on. One of mine was warped and coming loose as several of the screws were pulled out (striped). I was able to retract the slide OK but it's at the dealer now getting worked on. Was just curious if anyone else had seen this type of issue before. I looked at several other slides on multiple motorhomes at the Tampa RV show and they either didn't have these tracks or the entire bottom of the slide was sheet metal.

Burch
Our Challenger has metal plates under the full wall slide that the rollers ride on. So far no issues.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #3

THOR #6451
That's good to know. I believe my slide has 5 or 6 of the plates and it's only happening on one. Hopefully it's an isolated issue.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:55 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Pirate View Post
Our Challenger has metal plates under the full wall slide that the rollers ride on. So far no issues.
Ditto. 2017 Challenger, no issues.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:29 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
My Miramar has the same metal plates that were installed by the dealer. The ones that came from the factory were too short and the slide rollers would have run off the end of them. He said he always checks them when he receives a coach from the factory.

I have never had a slide problem.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:43 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
My Miramar has the same metal plates that were installed by the dealer. The ones that came from the factory were too short and the slide rollers would have run off the end of them. He said he always checks them when he receives a coach from the factory.

I have never had a slide problem.
That's good to hear.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:56 AM   #7

State: Alaska
THOR #7980
My Miramar 2017 34.2 slide out swinteck upper tracks are stripped. Why and how is a good question. La Mesa rv in Mesa Az is going to attempt repairs Wednesday the 14thClick image for larger version

Name:	20180213_175004.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	9034
Old 02-20-2018, 05:22 AM   #8

State: Alaska
THOR #7980
Nope, not this time two more weeks, yup their fault,oops sorry.
In addition to the slide mechanism, they have to replace 6 interior panels in the slide the wall paper is peeling off😠
Old 02-22-2018, 05:57 AM   #9

State: California
THOR #8228
We had to replace a roller on my Miramar 34.2 full body slide towards the back where a couple of screws came loose and ran over the roller cracking it. Oh, and BTW: tilting up the out side of the slide made the inside tilt down and ripped up the bedroom floor. Pulling up a big pizza shaped piece on the way out. That was a fun repair.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:24 PM   #10

THOR #6451
I'm starting to get a bit discurraged. Our Motorhome has sat at the dealer almost two weeks. They called yesterday and said they haven't even started working on it yet. They said they were waiting on authorization from Thor. Thor called me (before I took the Motorhome to the dealer) and said the part was on it's way to the dealer. Maybe they are waiting for authorization for labor? The dealer was asking me to bring in the motorhome earlier because they said they had the part but I had to wait until a weekend because of work. Just seems strange that they have the part but are waiting for authorization. I did have a small list of other items for them to look at but it was mostly minor things. Maybe that is what they are waiting on. I have a trip planned soon which looks like will have to be canceled.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:28 PM   #11

THOR #6310
Quote:
I'm starting to get a bit discurraged. Our Motorhome has sat at the dealer almost two weeks. They called yesterday and said they haven't even started working on it yet. They said they were waiting on authorization from Thor. Thor called me (before I took the Motorhome to the dealer) and said the part was on it's way to the dealer. Maybe they are waiting for authorization for labor? The dealer was asking me to bring in the motorhome earlier because they said they had the part but I had to wait until a weekend because of work. Just seems strange that they have the part but are waiting for authorization. I did have a small list of other items for them to look at but it was mostly minor things. Maybe that is what they are waiting on. I have a trip planned soon which looks like will have to be canceled.
Most likely a dealer stall tactic. Call Thor and ask if the authorization has been made and the part received by the dealer. If Thor has done their job, lean on the dealer, nicely, to get it completed. Tell them you need it for an upcoming trip and give them a date you expect to have the repair completed by. Sometimes you just have to be a squeaky wheel.

Edit: I see you are in Florida. It's high season now and service centers are very busy. If they think you will wait they will let you wait.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:33 PM   #12

THOR #9721
Quote:
Thor authorization is provided within 24-48 hours. If the part has already been received, they are prioritizing warranty work behind paid service work. Warranty work is not something that dealerships want to bog their service department with down most of the time.
RV Travel Bug
Old 02-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #13

THOR #6451
I don't want to give the dealership too much greif yet as I didn't purchase the motorhome from them. I will give it another week and see how it goes. This dealership has a very good reputation so I'm tring to be patient. I know they are probably busy this time of year with all the snowbirds here. I only have 4 months of warranty left so I want to make sure I get the motorhome back and use it a bunch so I can make sure all of the issues are taken care of.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:06 PM   #14

THOR #9721
Quote:
I don't want to give the dealership too much greif yet as I didn't purchase the motorhome from them. I will give it another week and see how it goes. This dealership has a very good reputation so I'm tring to be patient. I know they are probably busy this time of year with all the snowbirds here. I only have 4 months of warranty left so I want to make sure I get the motorhome back and use it a bunch so I can make sure all of the issues are taken care of.
Does anyone get the sense that the dealerships like to hold onto the RV to run the clock out on the warranty?
RV Travel Bug
Old 02-22-2018, 04:16 PM   #15

THOR #6310
Quote:
Personally, I don't think calling to let them know Thor has done the authorization and to get a completion date is giving them grief, but I understand your concern. You have a trip planned and they should know that also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
Does anyone get the sense that the dealerships like to hold onto the RV to run the clock out on the warranty?
I don't think so. I don't know what they would have to gain from doing that? You would think it would be more of a liability to let them sit, risking damage they would be responsible for.

The dealership we use has been great with the warranty work, even when they are busy. But we are flexible and only bring our unit in when an appointment date and time is set. The service person we deal with says she has to call people to come get their RVs off the lot. She says many like to use it as "storage" for their unit. Last time we talked they had nearly 100 owner units sitting on their lot.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:36 PM   #16

THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
I don't think so. I don't know what they would have to gain from doing that? You would think it would be more of a liability to let them sit, risking damage they would be responsible for.
A year goes by quick and eventually if you bring it back you'll end up using their preferred extended warranty or just pay for the repairs, or not come back at all. All of those options are better than dealing with the OEM for getting the warranty items handled. The OEM likes to only pay out a fraction of labor for what really needs to be applied.

Dealerships are not liable for theft or loss of your unit, and that will be posted in a conspicuous location. Keeping it on the lot all this time is a risk on your part, plan accordingly.
RV Travel Bug
Old 02-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #17

THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
A year goes by quick and eventually if you bring it back you'll end up using their preferred extended warranty or just pay for the repairs, or not come back at all. All of those options are better than dealing with the OEM for getting the warranty items handled. The OEM likes to only pay out a fraction of labor for what really needs to be applied.

Dealerships are not liable for theft or loss of your unit, and that will be posted in a conspicuous location. Keeping it on the lot all this time is a risk on your part, plan accordingly.
Seems like a long way to go for future paid work that's not guaranteed over warranty work, but I guess anything is possible.

We have never left ours at the dealer for repair for more than 2 days, and 90% of the time work has been done while we wait. When we took ours in for some minor warranty work at La Mesa in Sanford, they told us to bring it back completely empty and expect to leave it for several months. We left immediately and never went back.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:14 PM   #18

THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
Seems like a long way to go for future paid work that's not guaranteed over warranty work, but I guess anything is possible.

We have never left ours at the dealer for repair for more than 2 days, and 90% of the time work has been done while we wait. When we took ours in for some minor warranty work at La Mesa in Sanford, they told us to bring it back completely empty and expect to leave it for several months. We left immediately and never went back.
In our situation, we live in ours full time. The only option we have is to get an appointment to bring it in. Last time, we were in Tennessee, the CW in Bossier City had a really good service department. We set the appointment about a month out and they allowed us to boondock in the parking lot the night before. The next day, they brought it right into the service bay and we spent the day at the dealership. They used a common sense approach to fix things that were obviously covered by warranty and they would follow up with the approval with Thor after the fact.

Based on my situation, regardless of the warranty situation, I've got a budget to cover repairs to expedite immediately. This is truly our home.
RV Travel Bug
Old 02-22-2018, 05:52 PM   #19

THOR #8228
Ours was at the dealers for 4+ months after our maiden voyage on a slightly used 2015 Miramar 34.2 coach (10k miles)... the previous owner did some great mods and took care of most the "new buyer repairs". With that said, it seemed like they would repair 1 warranty thing at a time through our extended warranty, in stead of all at once... took forever, to the point, we actually had them make necessary repairs to hold us over, take our the coach on planned outings, and bring it back so they could continue! Just to find out they didn't hook back up the water heater for example... washing with warm water from the coffee pot! They even scraped the paint on the back side, but did admit their fault and repainted it. When we got it back, each thing was repaired at about 80 our 90 percent, and I could myself going back and finishing the job.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:55 PM   #20

THOR #8228
"80 or 90 % and found myself finishing the job" that is, damn autocorrect.

Tags
slide, slide problems, slide roller, slideout