Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #8596
More questions about the Xantrex Pro 1800

You don't know it yet, but you will find out I'm really new at this.
How come a simple inverter with only two buttons can be so complicated?
I can turn it on and get the red led with either the E02 or E04 errors.
Once I don't have those errors, I get the yellow light for the batteries. Now, considering that I'm plugged to a 30 amp power source does this mean I'm using the batteries or that I'm charging the batteries? I didn't think I would need the inverter when I'm fully plugged.
There is a third led color... green for utility. I've been plugged for a week and never got the green led. What does this mean?
I also tried pressing the Select button for a few seconds and when I do that the led turns off and the display gives me either AL0 or AL1. Does anyone knows what this mean? The Thor manual is a bit short on information.
Thanks.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:34 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
You only need the invertor turned on when dry camping. While youre plugged in to shore power or using the gen your batteries will be charged up.

Do a google search for xantrex and print out the users manual. It should list the codes and whay they mean. I believe the e2 is low battery voltage but i could be mistaken on that.

Check the water in your batteries. Mine were vere low when i checked a week after picking it up. Fill with distilled water if needed. I dont know what mh you have but my 29m is tight. No way to see the water level. I bought a quik fill flow rite water system . Its a great mod that works well.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:08 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
If you are plugged and the store/use switch is in the use position; then the inverter should only show the charging voltage with no error codes and none of the lights will work as the inverter is bypassed when on shore power. To actually use the inverter, no other power source (shore power or genset) should be available. When you now turn the inverter on, it will display battery voltage and the light and error codes will work as in the manual.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:12 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
That inverter, at least ours, when plugged in with the store switch in use, displays a green light and the battery voltage as they are being charged. When unplugged its a yellow light, still displaying the battery voltage. I leave ours on all the time, as its smart enough to know when plugged in to allow voltage to pass through, not convert.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:17 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmlferreira View Post
You don't know it yet, but you will find out I'm really new at this.
How come a simple inverter with only two buttons can be so complicated?
I can turn it on and get the red led with either the E02 or E04 errors.
Once I don't have those errors, I get the yellow light for the batteries. Now, considering that I'm plugged to a 30 amp power source does this mean I'm using the batteries or that I'm charging the batteries? I didn't think I would need the inverter when I'm fully plugged.
There is a third led color... green for utility. I've been plugged for a week and never got the green led. What does this mean?
I also tried pressing the Select button for a few seconds and when I do that the led turns off and the display gives me either AL0 or AL1. Does anyone knows what this mean? The Thor manual is a bit short on information.
Thanks.
Page 4-2 of the Xantex Pro 1800 Owner's manual explains the control panel to include the conditions which cause the indicators to change from yellow to green.

Xantrex Inverter Manual.pdf
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:40 PM   #6

THOR #8596
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
You only need the invertor turned on when dry camping. While youre plugged in to shore power or using the gen your batteries will be charged up.
What I found out was that with the inverter off I won't have TVs, power in the bedroom and power to the outdoor fridge. Even when connected to the Shore. this is why I keep it on all the time.
Am I doing something wrong on my 2016 Thor Freedom Elite?

Also I haven't found any information about what is going on when I keep the Select button pressed for more than two seconds and different warnings appear in the small screen. Any ideas?
I'll try to take a picture.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #7

THOR #5821
Shore power, when available, should pass through the inverter, whether its on or off. Not sure why yours doesn't, but leaving it on will not hurt anything.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:01 PM   #8

THOR #3156
You should have power to everything when plugged in. Is the use/store switch on use
FMCA # F464385
Old 08-04-2017, 05:21 PM   #9

THOR #8596
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
You should have power to everything when plugged in. Is the use/store switch on use
Unfortunately, like I mentioned before the outside TV and fridge, plus the inside TV and bedroom outlets only work with the inverter on. I really don't understand why, but that's what's happening.
I took some pictures yesterday that show the yellow led on.
As you can see the input voltage is 13.1 V (which is for sure the batteries), but then both input current and output power are 0.
I assume that the inverter is reading the voltage out of the batteries, but is not supplying power.
The last picture shows the message AL0. I can't find what this is anywhere.
Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	356.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	6194   Click image for larger version

Name:	357.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	6195  

Click image for larger version

Name:	358.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	6196   Click image for larger version

Name:	355.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	6197  

Old 08-04-2017, 06:04 PM   #10

THOR #3156
You either have a tripped breaker or somethibg wrong with the invertor.

Call thor customer service and explain everything to them. They will walk you through everything to check. They are very helpful. And if they cant figure it out its time to take it to the dealer

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 08-04-2017, 06:18 PM   #11

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
AL0 alarms off.

To adjust alarm settings:By default, the alarm is ON. Press and hold the Select button for two seconds. The screen will display one of two things: “AL0” – this indicates the alarm is OFF“AL1” – this indicates the alarm is ONThe screen will display the setting (either AL0 or AL1) briefly and then return to the previous screen. Note: The alarm setting will revert back to default (ON) when the Inverter button is turned OFF then ON again
Old 08-04-2017, 06:37 PM   #12

THOR #5821
It also could be how the inverter is wired. Is it factory installed or added? I had mine added, part of the sales deal, so I specified which outlets I wanted kept live by the inverter when not connected to shore power. On mine, I wanted the TV's, and selected outlets kept active. The microwave is not off the invertor, figured as little as we use it unplugged, its easy to fire up the generator for a few minutes. Oddly the Tech wired the refrigerator off the inverter, didn't expect that, but because of that, it will not automatically go to LP, unless I shut off the inverter, or manually set it to LP. I can deal with that.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:18 PM   #13

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
What I found out was that with the inverter off I won't have TVs, power in the bedroom and power to the outdoor fridge. Even when connected to the Shore. this is why I keep it on all the time.
Am I doing something wrong on my 2016 Thor Freedom Elite?

Also I haven't found any information about what is going on when I keep the Select button pressed for more than two seconds and different warnings appear in the small screen. Any ideas?
I'll try to take a picture.

Sounds to me like the transfer switch may not be allowing shore power to pass through the inverter. Read section or page 4-3 of manual, which states that whether on or off, shore power should pass through (bypass) the inverter.

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Pow...ork)%20(1).pdf

Just to be safe, I would check the model and serial numbers to make sure your XM1800 has a built-in transfer switch. As far as I know they all have one, but I'm no expert and don't know for certain. It may also be possible wiring of transfer switch is not correct.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:51 PM   #14

THOR #8596
Problem remains

We camped for two nights and the green light of the inverter never came on.
I spoke to Xantrex and they suggested I tried plugging without a surge protection device. I'm not convinced this is safe but will try it anyway.

During our stay the E02 warning came on every time we unplugged. Per the manual this means low battery.
I assumed the batteries would recharge when you drive and when you plug in. Am I wrong?

Let's see if another night out will shed some light on this problem.

By the way, this inverter came installed with the unit.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:53 PM   #15

THOR #5821
House batteries should charge when plugged into shore power and the use/store is in use mode. Again with the use/store in use, while driving they should also charge off the vehicles alternator. If not plugged into shore power, but generator is running, and use/store is in use, house batteries should charge as though you were plugged into shore power.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:07 PM   #16

THOR #8596
I'm not sure if the problem is with the inverter or the house batteries. Every time I unplug, I get a sound alarm and the famous E02 error message. I'm going to the dealer in a couple of weeks and see what they say.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:41 PM   #17

THOR #5821
Quote:
I'm not sure if the problem is with the inverter or the house batteries. Every time I unplug, I get a sound alarm and the famous E02 error message. I'm going to the dealer in a couple of weeks and see what they say.
Not positive what the E02 means, but unplugged you should go from a green light to yellow, and have a battery voltage display. When plugged in, I sometimes see a voltage as high as 13.9, if the battery's are low, but it drops to about 13.1 or 13.2 as they charge up. Off the vehicles alternator, while driving, that charge voltage will go as high as 14.2, but again drops into the 13's as battery's charge up. From the pics you posted, your inverter is exactly the same as the one installed in mine. Let us know what the fix is, after the dealer looks at it.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:12 PM   #18

THOR #8596
It got fixed!

I know that this is really late to post on this thread, but after a few visits to the dealer and two tests to the batteries, I was finally told that the house batteries were faulty. We got them replaced and all looks good for a new traveling season.

Thank you to everyone that contributed.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:48 PM   #19

THOR #3156
Quote:
I know that this is really late to post on this thread, but after a few visits to the dealer and two tests to the batteries, I was finally told that the house batteries were faulty. We got them replaced and all looks good for a new traveling season.

Thank you to everyone that contributed.
Make sure you maintain the batteries. Dont let tgem get drained to low and check the water level regulary
FMCA # F464385
Old 06-12-2019, 03:16 AM   #20

THOR #15629
Xantrex PRO XM 1800 Inverter

Does anybody know if I can use Xantrex Freedom X-Xc remote panel on Xantrex PRO XM 1800 Inverter?

Tags
inverter, xantrex pro