Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2019, 08:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
My BIRD isn't bi-directional after all!

Ugh a real face palm moment for me

All this time I thought my two battery systems were isolated using a BIRD relay system. A couple years ago I even replaced the relay itself. I guess I've always been in such a hurry I never fully tested it.
Turns out I have an Intellitec 00-00629-120, which is just a "IRD"
My engine can charge my house, but not the other way around.

I found it because after having recently installed a solar panel, I have been piddling when I get a moment here or there, to add a basic panel volt meter to keep a loose eye on things....not as good as measuring amps in and out, but it'll be something at least. I was going to tap into the 'Bird Relay', and that's what got me to looking....

....Now I have to figure out if I want to fix that situation by getting "B" for my "IRD"

Old 06-27-2019, 08:38 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
A new BIRD is only about $90. It might be worth replacing yours.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:59 PM   #3

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Here's the Amazon link...I think.

Amazon BIRD Relay
Old 06-28-2019, 01:51 AM   #4

Model: Outlaw 29H Class C
State: California
THOR #7010
Same here. I got a trik-l-start. Easy install over the relay. https://www.lslproducts.net/TLSPage.html
Old 06-28-2019, 02:02 AM   #5

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Also installed the trik-l-start $55 & $7 shipping, installed in 15 minutes.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:16 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
I have the BIRD, but discovered it was wired wrong from the factory. Mine was the same as yours. No SHORE POWER charge for the CHASSIS.

I got under the hood and after looking at the BIRD, it became apparent that the wrong wires were.connected to the BIRD to trigger the TROMBETTA properly.

After testing the leads, I actually connected a NEW cable (with a fused link) to properly fire the relay.

After my "fix" the COACH charges as it should, the CHASSIS charges as it should, and, the two systems disconnect (I am assuming) as it should.

Of course, I discovered this after my chassis battery died once (since I was thinking SHORE POWER was charging it)

I think there have been at least three other people on this forum that have found the same thing.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:21 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
An easy check to see if the BIRD is actually disconnecting the batteries is to measure the voltage of the two banks after you have used the coach batteries for a while. They will be a lower voltage than the chassis battery.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:01 PM   #8

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Yeah, my initial thought was to just replace the intellitec, but I soon started to consider the Trik L Charge or something similar. I'm in no particular hurry I suppose...have gotten by this long without it....

I had found that my coach battery wasn't charging from the chassis a couple years ago while on the road to Sun N Fun. Found it was a bad solenoid, so bought an aviation contractor at the show at replaced it. I was in a bit of a hurry to get back to the aviation stuff so I didn't ever fully test everything after. I remember verifying the one way...chassis charging house..and verifying that the E-Start function worked.... and then assumed from there that all was good
but it had been nagging me all along because the wiring just didn't fully match up..I just never took any time to try to wrap my head around it. That'll teach me to assume.... (no it probably won't)