Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2019, 07:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds
State: Arizona
THOR #12097
Mystery Straps

Behind the rear wheels of my Class C Four Winds is a cross bracket the extends from one side to the other. There is also 4 straps that extend down from the bottom of the coach and obviously should be secured to this cross piece but aren't. Can anyone tell me what these straps do, where the other ends of them are, and if I can gain access to secure them as they should be?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Straps.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	19583  

Old 08-12-2019, 07:53 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
How far behind the rear wheels? Perhaps for a large aftermarket mud flap (the kind that goes accross the entire rear of the RV)? They look like taps to hold wiring or perhaps plumbing for different floor plans on the same chassis?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:02 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
They look like they are suppose to be in those notches...possibly pry them down a bit with a screwdriver and pop them in. I would guess the other end has been covered up by flooring or something inside the coach. I bet a dollar it's the fresh water tank straps.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:08 PM   #4

THOR #12097
This is within a foot of the rear tire and several feet in front of the back of the coach. There are mud flaps front and rear of the tires. The rear flaps are direct below this cross bar. So are they supporting the waste tanks, support drain plumbing, or.........??
Old 08-12-2019, 08:12 PM   #5

THOR #12097
I think they are supposed to be in those notches too. And I might be able to force them into the notches. But how do I them them up so they don't come out again?

That's assuming they were properly installed in the first place.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #6

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCouch View Post
I think they are supposed to be in those notches too. And I might be able to force them into the notches. But how do I them them up so they don't come out again?
Well Im leaning towards the Fresh water straps or something for another floor plan.

How far are your mud flaps off the ground right now. If you raise them up to these straps they might be too high?

If everything is tight under your RV (Black + Grey + fresh tanks, hoses, wires, mud flaps etc) I would not worry about it.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 08-12-2019, 08:33 PM   #7

THOR #12097
I'm positive it has nothing to do with the mud flaps. Those are secured by other means. And I'm one that believes things are in place for a reason. Are these loose straps going to cause me headaches somewhere down the road and I'm going to be pissed at myself because I could have prevented it? Nope. I'm going to fix this.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:41 PM   #8

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
If it were me I would contact Thor CS. They have been very helpful for me when I've had questions.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:53 PM   #9

THOR #12231
Quote:
I'm positive it has nothing to do with the mud flaps. Those are secured by other means. And I'm one that believes things are in place for a reason. Are these loose straps going to cause me headaches somewhere down the road and I'm going to be pissed at myself because I could have prevented it? Nope. I'm going to fix this.
Yeah Im like that as well. When I first purchased my RV I crawed under and zip tied a ton of wire, hoses, gas lines, and used wire loom to protect gas lines and wires that are in spots where they can rub agains something to prevent problems down the road. Im still finding thing to zip tie or screw / bolt down inside as well as under my RV. But after two years everything has help together pretty well.

But im not sure if their is anything to "fix" in your case. If everything under your RV seems to be bolted down well not much more you can do. Best to call Thor CS like "coachray" said or perhaps another class C member can chime in and help you.

Let us know what you find out so others can learn from this.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:55 PM   #10

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Hope this helps, I have a 2018 class C model 22E
Behind Drivers side rear tires 2 straps for Black tank
Behind passenger side rear tires 1 strap for plastic storage bin on my outside storage area

Name:	20190812_164703.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	19585

Name:	20190812_164744.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	19586
Old 08-12-2019, 10:55 PM   #11

THOR #12097
Thanks. I'll check that out.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:55 PM   #12

THOR #12119
Quote:

That's assuming they were properly installed in the first place.
Here is a better view of the straps, One pic is the other end of my storage bin, the other pic is on my gray water tank, picture was taken at back of unit.

Name:	20190812_184942.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	19588

Name:	20190812_185013.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	19589
Old 08-12-2019, 10:56 PM   #13

THOR #12097
Thanks. I'm doing that too.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:58 PM   #14

THOR #12097
Interesting. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:06 PM   #15

THOR #12119
Quote:
Interesting. Thanks.
If you can access the brackets, you might be able to remove them and put a slight bend so they "catch" and then re-secure them
Old 08-13-2019, 11:55 PM   #16

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
Those "J" brackets are used to mount the holding tanks. If you can raise the tanks slightly and get the bracket under the ledge the tank weight should keep them in place. May be easier with tank empty.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #17

THOR #12097
bry899, you were spot on. That's exactly what they are. They help support the rear storage bins. I have the two bins, one on each side and the shallow "connecter" inbetween. The pockets you see through the rectangular openings in the cross bar are part of the bin. The straps look exactly as ones in your top picture. The cross bar is just to support the floor and has nothing to do with the straps of storage bins. So I should just be able to loosen things up, put a slight bend in them as you suggested, and place the 4 hooks back where the belong. It does appear they were actually in place once before. They must have just popped out somewhere along the way. Thanks bry899 and everyone else for you help.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:32 PM   #18

THOR #12119
Awesome.
Hopefully it is easy to fix, might have to remove the tires to get in there, just make sure the motorhome is supported if you do.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #19

THOR #12097
I think I just need to run the coach up on blocks to give me a bit more room to work. Thanks again.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:00 PM   #20

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #15296
Brackets not straps.