Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2016, 09:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #3957
Need a little help with 32N

I have a 2016 Hurricane 32N. I'm having a problem with the parking brake release. The dash panel (only term I can come up with) is against the brake release. When I pull the release toward me to release the brakes I also must move the panel. The panel gets flexed enough that the vent that is to the right of the steering wheel sometimes pops out. It looks to me that the panel is supposed to be supported and screwed to a plywood brace behind the panel. There is about a 1" gap between the panel and support. I do not remember seeing the release in any of the other 32Ns we looked at nor do I see it in any of the video on YouTube. I do remember seeing it in the 31S model. They are different chassis and I'm not sure if that would make any difference.
I did email Thor and asked if there was an adjustment that I could make. They replied the next day and said that it was hard to diagnose without pictures. I sent them pictures later that day. They also suggested that I bring it to them to be looked at. luckily I'm only about 40 miles from the factory. When I replied to there email with the pictures I asked if they could tell me how long it would take to repair, hoping it would be done the same day. I don't want to drop it off in the middle of May and not see it again until July. I can use the MH the way it is and take to them in October. Hopefully without a long list of items. I have not heard back from them in the past week.
I think this is a great group and I have gotten a lot of useful information here already that I was able to use while looking for and purchasing the MH. Obviously the one piece of advise that I didn't use was to try everything out before taking delivery.
Are there any 32N owners that can tell me if the release sits back from the panel and how far? Or is the panel cut around the brake release?
Thank you for your help.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:48 PM   #2

Model: 2016 Hurricane 32N
State: Illinois
THOR #2257
I would say there is a definite alignment problem with your parking brake handle. On my 32N (also 2016), the parking brake handle sits just to the left of the steering column and about an inch or so below the plastic panel. The handle does not contact the panel at all.

Hope you get yours fixed!
Old 04-12-2016, 07:37 PM   #3

Model: 2015 Hurricane 31S
State: Virginia
THOR #2130
We have a 31S and its very close, but nothing obstructs usage. You can't see it but I like it that way.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Willy
Blue Ox Tow Bar and attachment Plate/SMI Brake System
Taking Flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:08 PM   #4

State: Michigan
THOR #3957
Ttomwht. This is a photo I took at our dealer of a 2016 31S. Is this how yours looks? Judging by what Taking Flight said I think this might be one of those things that was change mid year and they got mine wrong. Looks like the easy fix will be cutting out around the release.
I don't know why the photo posted that way and I don't know how to rotate it 90 degrees to look normal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1763  
Old 04-13-2016, 12:27 PM   #5

Model: 2016 Hurricane 32N
State: Illinois
THOR #2257
You are probably right--mine does not look like that. My brake handle cannot be seen. As you suggest, this is probably a mid-year "fix" so people can actually see the handle.