Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Poll Results: What I would like to know from experienced RV'ers is what should I do?
Run and walk away from the deal as there is something wrong? 18 64.29%
Trust the RV Dealer to clean up compartment and keep same batteries? 0 0%
Insist RV Dealer cleans compartment replacing hardware & batteries (upgrade to Group 31)? 7 25.00%
Buy as is as this is normal and nothing to be alarmed about? 0 0%
Some other option? 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2018, 09:26 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I would certainly entertain a discount due to what you've found here, but I also don't recommend that 'blaming' the dealer will really get you any points. The factory builds these RVs, not the dealer. The dealer's job is to simply sell them.

Now, when an issue like this arises, you might at first think that the 'dealer' is not doing their job, but that's NOT their job, it's the factory's. The reality of the RV business is this:

A dealer orders an RV. The RV arrives on their lot. The initial PDI(pre delivery inspection) is made and any deficiencies noted. Unless there are major issues, such as a safety issue, nothing is going to be 'fixed' by the dealer....YET.
When a customer finds the RV and wants to purchase it, their PDI(POST delivery inspection) will reveal the issues, and the dealer will then put in a WARRANTY WorkOrder with the factory. The factory then approves the work, and the dealer then makes the repairs or adjustments or replacements, etc.

Dealers are not in the business to 'clean up' the factory's workmanship, at least not to the point that they are out time and money. The factories also do not give dealers 'carte blanche' to fix and repair and clean up everything they feel is needed, the BILL the factory for the work, at least not BEFORE a customer purchases the unit. The warranty is with the OWNER, not the dealer.

Sounds crazy, and dealers are free to do things above and beyond as they please, but most are not going to go far out of their way to do much UNTIL the unit is sold, where they then can recoup those costs.

My Advice:
Make a deal to the dealer for the RV, as is, but with them then CLEANING UP the interior of the bay to your specs after purchase. If so, then there is absolutely no difference in your rig, and the next fellows, other than the look inside that compartment.

TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:27 PM   #22
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I agree with Gritz: too many red flags to stick around that dealer and coach.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:25 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:21 PM   #24

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Wow you guys / gals are awesomous.

I don't know what I gonna do, but half of you are telling me to walk away from the deal; while the other half suggest some solution to work out.

I will update you with new information from today.

#1. The dealer says they will fix all of the issues we have identified and for us not to worry. I advised that I would not put down any deposit until that battery compartment looked new and the slide was extending and extracting like it was suppose to.

I will add that I think I am getting a fairly good price because it is a 2018 close out. It is also with some goodies that I don't see on many other that are like it Thor or otherwise). i.e. AGS, Dual ACs, 50 amps, Residential Fridge, and a 2nd Inverter Xantrex Pro XM 1000. The Salesman is not a pushy type; a rarity these days. He has been with me over last 6 weeks and has stated he will support me whatever I decide. He doesn't think he can get any more money out of it, but insist they can fix. They were already selling below the asking price and well under the NADA book value.

#2 I called Thor this morning and described the issue. With no pictures on battery compartment; the Thor rep said it should be fixed by dealer. He said the Dealer should cleanup or replace the tray underneath. When I asked about the hydraulic pump he said the acid corrosion would not cause damage to the hydraulic pump. He ended by saying I should not worry. But I read the Thor warranty and the levelers which I assume include the hydraulic pump are not covered by them?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:35 AM   #25

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
I would certainly entertain a discount due to what you've found here, but I also don't recommend that 'blaming' the dealer will really get you any points. The factory builds these RVs, not the dealer. The dealer's job is to simply sell them.

Now, when an issue like this arises, you might at first think that the 'dealer' is not doing their job, but that's NOT their job, it's the factory's. The reality of the RV business is this:

A dealer orders an RV. The RV arrives on their lot. The initial PDI(pre delivery inspection) is made and any deficiencies noted. Unless there are major issues, such as a safety issue, nothing is going to be 'fixed' by the dealer....YET.
When a customer finds the RV and wants to purchase it, their PDI(POST delivery inspection) will reveal the issues, and the dealer will then put in a WARRANTY WorkOrder with the factory. The factory then approves the work, and the dealer then makes the repairs or adjustments or replacements, etc.

Dealers are not in the business to 'clean up' the factory's workmanship, at least not to the point that they are out time and money. The factories also do not give dealers 'carte blanche' to fix and repair and clean up everything they feel is needed, the BILL the factory for the work, at least not BEFORE a customer purchases the unit. The warranty is with the OWNER, not the dealer.

Sounds crazy, and dealers are free to do things above and beyond as they please, but most are not going to go far out of their way to do much UNTIL the unit is sold, where they then can recoup those costs.

My Advice:
Make a deal to the dealer for the RV, as is, but with them then CLEANING UP the interior of the bay to your specs after purchase. If so, then there is absolutely no difference in your rig, and the next fellows, other than the look inside that compartment.
Priceless. You have pretty much laid out what the dealer was saying Saturday and his updates yesterday. The PDI (Post Delivery Inspection) concept is new to me. Even though I now understand, I told dealer I will not put down a deposit on that unit unless I see picture of that compartment that looks like new and that confirmation the slide is working without requiring the manual override. If they don't do, I will not buy the unit. I don't mind placing deposit for cosmetic fixes but my biggest fear with buying an RV is #1 Slide not working, #2 Leveler getting stuck, #3 Issues with batteries. All 3 are in play at the moment on what I thought was going to be my first RV.

I may break out the tent this weekend to try to get my mind off of it for a while. My nearest other option is about $20k - $30k more but layouts or all of the options are not what I wanted. I can sleep in my tent with no AC, but need Dual AC's for these RV's.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #26

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Well, at least your answers here are qualified from owners with experience. Of the top 5 things that give us the "squirts" with RV's...the slides are at the top of my list. To purchase a new unit knowing it has slide issues out front would scare me to death. Add to this, the complications of obtaining service after the sale...especially when you buy so far away from home...is another cup of gas on the fire. It sounds like you can't live without this unit so good luck with it! Breaking out the tent is a good idea...sometimes we get so wrapped up in the "dream", we let our minds ignore the facts. Everything will become "permanent ink" once you drive off the lot and that dealer knows he will never see you again or have to deal with any issues you may have down the road.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:23 AM   #27

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Both the dealer and the manufacturer are two different profit centres here. Without getting further into a discussion on that, if you are going through with the purchase, you might want to have the converter/charger checked out. Something is causing the excessive corrosion.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:20 PM   #28

State: Washington
THOR #6433
I would find another unit if you could. The battery part doesn’t bother me as much as that can you never know about the quality of some batteries. The slide is the bigger concern. When we bought our coach during the winter everything looked great come spring and it’s warmer we discovered there was a leak and we had a mold issue that took a year to fix. If I would had known there was a leak never would had bought that one. I look at the slide the same way they could fix it and you may never have a problem again. But there could be other issues that you don’t know about yet. Everyone of these will have a problem at some point so it is kind of a luck and guessing game but you already know two answers to the test so to speak and it’s not a good start.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:56 PM   #29

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Based on my experience with the LCI levelers on our Thor, and based on the reputation of the Schwintek slide outs and the general lack of quality control on Thors, I wouldn't touch another Thor with a ten-foot pole.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:50 PM   #30

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
Out of curiosity have you looked at the Winnebago Intent 29L floor plan?
Old 10-23-2018, 09:59 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
A Winne-WHAT???

Old 10-24-2018, 01:15 AM   #32

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
A "Weiner Bagel"? Sounds colorful...like rainbow!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:52 AM   #33
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Based on my experience with the LCI levelers on our Thor, and based on the reputation of the Schwintek slide outs and the general lack of quality control on Thors, I wouldn't touch another Thor with a ten-foot pole.
I would have to totally agree with you. Why they don't use another vendor for slides and levelers is unreal.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:29 AM   #34

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Exposed to weather. I cleaned mine up then repainted. Looks good for now.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:18 PM   #35

THOR #13058
Pictures?

How was battery compartment exposed to weather? Was door left open by mistake or something?

They haven't done anything yet but I have asked if they can replace the tray?

If they do then my worry moves to hydraulic pump? It works fine now. I have yet to find a service place to say or confirm they have seen a defective hydraulic pump due to acid corrosion.

The slides will have to be fix. It has two motors. I am being told to expect to pay about $1000 per motor if they go put under warranty.

Oddly they dropped the price on the one next to this unit by $1000? On the one that I wanted price is same but they say they will fix. Only difference is outside color graphics.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:37 PM   #36
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Pictures?

How was battery compartment exposed to weather? Was door left open by mistake or something?

They haven't done anything yet but I have asked if they can replace the tray?

If they do then my worry moves to hydraulic pump? It works fine now. I have yet to find a service place to say or confirm they have seen a defective hydraulic pump due to acid corrosion.

The slides will have to be fix. It has two motors. I am being told to expect to pay about $1000 per motor if they go put under warranty.

Oddly they dropped the price on the one next to this unit by $1000? On the one that I wanted price is same but they say they will fix. Only difference is outside color graphics.
Why would you pay anything if they go out under warranty?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:03 PM   #37

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
X2...
I would just walk away at this point. You are at the end of the season so the likelihood of them selling the unit or slim so it may come down in price. They won’t lower it now because they believe they have you hooked.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #38

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post

That should have read "go out after warranty" I type that with cellphone, and apparently did not proofreads very good.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:26 PM   #39

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
X2...
I would just walk away at this point. You are at the end of the season so the likelihood of them selling the unit or slim so it may come down in price. They won’t lower it now because they believe they have you hooked.

I think this is strategy I will be trying. At some point if it drops enough, I can pay for any of the concerns that are at current; only risks that I may see after warranty is over.

May I ask question? What is "X2"
Old 10-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #40
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
A "Weiner Bagel"? Sounds colorful...like rainbow!
Or at the very least: tasty!