Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2017, 09:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6523
Question New Battery recommendations for Axis

We're first time RV owners and looking for advice/recommendations on replacement batteries for our 2017 Axis. Thor is going to warranty them and will reimburse us up to $90 per battery. I'm thinking we'll want to upgrade them to something better than the stock batteries it came with. What are you all replacing your batteries with? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:16 PM   #2

THOR #6523
I'm looking at a couple of AGM batteries at my local Interstate store. They'll install them if I bring the RV to the store. Saves me the hassles of lugging batteries back & forth.

Interstate 34M has 62 Amp hours, 3 year warranty for $258 ea.
Optima SC31B has 75 Amp hours, 2 year warranty for $287 ea., but it may be too tall. Going to measure the space today. I'm guessing there's not enough space in the Axis battery box for anything bigger with more Amp hours, but we'll see.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:55 AM   #3

State: Florida
THOR #4366
For 12 volt deep cycle, tractor supply sells Exide Stowaways for $90. This is a good flooded acid battery that we have used with great success dry camping.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:18 AM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAxis View Post
I'm looking at a couple of AGM batteries at my local Interstate store. They'll install them if I bring the RV to the store. Saves me the hassles of lugging batteries back & forth.

Interstate 34M has 62 Amp hours, 3 year warranty for $258 ea.
Optima SC31B has 75 Amp hours, 2 year warranty for $287 ea., but it may be too tall. Going to measure the space today. I'm guessing there's not enough space in the Axis battery box for anything bigger with more Amp hours, but we'll see.
AGM batteries can be a good choice - but be sure your converter/charger can handle them... They have different charging requirements to get the most life out of them...
Thor is not known for putting premium converters/chargers in their coaches.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:53 AM   #5

THOR #6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
AGM batteries can be a good choice - but be sure your converter/charger can handle them... They have different charging requirements to get the most life out of them...
Thor is not known for putting premium converters/chargers in their coaches.
Thanks. I did confirm with Thor (in writing) that my converter & the Interstate AGM batteries are compatible. I may get a battery tender for them when in storage though, because I've read so many bad things about these converters.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:29 PM   #6

THOR #4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAxis View Post
Thanks. I did confirm with Thor (in writing) that my converter & the Interstate AGM batteries are compatible. I may get a battery tender for them when in storage though, because I've read so many bad things about these converters.
If you have a WFCO converter it will not properly charge an AGM battery. You will need either a Progressive Dynamics or Iota. Look at the charge specs for the AGM battery you are looking at.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:06 PM   #7

THOR #6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
If you have a WFCO converter it will not properly charge an AGM battery. You will need either a Progressive Dynamics or Iota. Look at the charge specs for the AGM battery you are looking at.
I won't be installing a new converter on a brand new RV right now, but to read the horror stories here I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I have to. Thanks for the suggestions on brands; I'll file that away. For now, I'm spending $$$ getting all the "stuff" to get it ready to go on the road. Perhaps a battery tender/maintainer is an option in the meantime.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:22 PM   #8

THOR #7391
I have 2016 Axis 24.1 battery's dried out part my fault. I replaced originals with a pair of GC115 G (6) volt golf car batteries. They are a lot cheaper, and fit rig very tightly. Found them at Rural King for$69.99 ea they a rated 75 amps continuous for 110 min far more than regular RV use. As they are designed to operate in series not parallel as standard dual Rv hook ups they should hold up under repeated charging.
I have one question what does the store / use battery switch do?it is on left next to door step. Cannot find info in manual.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:01 AM   #9
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molddave View Post
I have one question what does the store / use battery switch do?it is on left next to door step. Cannot find info in manual.
The store/use switch disconnects the coach batteries in 'store' - and connects them in 'use'. You should hear a solid click (solenoid) when pushing the switch in the opposite direction of current position (ie - moving from 'store' to 'use' will click - but if already in 'use' and pressing 'use' - you will not hear anything.

The switch must be in 'use' to provide 12v power when unplugged - and for the coach batteries to charge when plugged in or using generator.

Many people have found there is still some battery drain while in 'store' mode - so be aware and verify... If you have a drain - you can eitehr chase it to find it - or install a separate true disconnect. I've had no issue with either of my coaches.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #10

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #5936
Do you have two 12 volt batteries or just one 12 volt for your solar? I have a 2016 Axis 25.2 and looking into installing solar. I would like to use AGM batteries but I also don't really know the size of the batteries presently.