Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2015, 04:43 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
50 mile test drive?
wow, that's a good test!
Sure was. I test drove on the Interstate, on a state highway and within a suburban area. In the suburban area I also located an empty high school parking lot to test maneuverability and backing. I was quite confident in my knowledge of most of the handling characteristics of the coach before making the final offer to purchase.

The only things that were unknown at the time of purchase were handling in a cross wind on a bridge, in the mountains and while towing my car.

The only objection from my dealer was they wanted me to test drive another Challenger but when I refused and got in the car to leave they relented and moved three other coaches to get mine off the line for the test drive. The dealer wanted me to test drive a 37GT with 242 inch wheelbase and I was interested in the 37ND with the 252 inch wheelbase. There is a large difference in cornering, tail swing and pivot points.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 AXIS 24.1 RUV
State: California
THOR #2172
Mine had a little over 2150+ miles (Dealer: Camping World, Valencia, CA).
Old 08-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #23

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Sure was. I test drove on the Interstate, on a state highway and within a suburban area. In the suburban area I also located an empty high school parking lot to test maneuverability and backing. I was quite confident in my knowledge of most of the handling characteristics of the coach before making the final offer to purchase.

The only things that were unknown at the time of purchase were handling in a cross wind on a bridge, in the mountains and while towing my car.

The only objection from my dealer was they wanted me to test drive another Challenger but when I refused and got in the car to leave they relented and moved three other coaches to get mine off the line for the test drive. The dealer wanted me to test drive a 37GT with 242 inch wheelbase and I was interested in the 37ND with the 252 inch wheelbase. There is a large difference in cornering, tail swing and pivot points.
well maybe those other miles were test drives and not all show.

I didn't go nearly that far in mine.
I did get it out on a 4-lane state highway though so I could get it up to speed..... and it was in some seriously strong wind gusts ahead of a nasty thunderstorm that was quickly approaching
Old 08-12-2015, 01:44 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
When we visited the Thor plant a couple of years ago, while we were waiting, we saw a passenger van pull up to the front gate with about 6~7 people get out - all carrying a license plate. I remember the van had a RV dealership's name on the side.

They each got into a motorhome and drove out of the factory lot.

I have seen smaller travel trailers sometimes put on a flatbed, but larger ones, and 5th wheels I have seen delivered by pickup.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:59 PM   #25

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
a parallel to this thread, is a question I've wondered ever since I learned that coaches are delivered this way....

When it's further than a day drive from the factory, do the delivery drivers stop at a hotel, or sleep in the coach?

Also, do they use the bathroom?
Old 08-12-2015, 01:34 PM   #26
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I believe that they stay in a hotel and don't use the bathroom because the tanks are completely empty (at least for our last few camper purchases--the Axis, our 5th wheel, and two trailers--all waste tanks were dry).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:07 PM   #27
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
About two years ago I was on a business trip and an RV pulled into the hotel parking lot. I talked to the driver and he was delivering a new coach to a dealer in California and was stopping for the night. All of my previous purchases had the tanks and plumbing winterized regardless of the time of year so I do not believe those systems were used.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:36 AM   #28

State: Texas
THOR #2543
thought ours was bad until you

Wow! 3000

Ours had 1105. Salesperson states the unit was driven from factory to dealer is reason
The roof a/c unit is filthy. We think our unit was the test drive unit. We will never know the truth.

Tags
delivery, mileage, odo