Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2018, 08:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #11816
New Thor Axis 24.1 Leaking like a rain storm

So our last trip it rained on our new Axis 24.1 and it’s leaking behind the upper cabinets on the drivers side of the bed (woke up soaked), rear window (full trough) and between the awning and the outer wall (covered gear was soaked), drooping the led lights. The inner wall is wrinkled, basement wet also (as was our gear and totes with water in them). Worried about mold as we have mold allergies.

It was level at the campsite and wasn’t raining that hard. We have had it only a month. Water should never come into a new RV right?!? So, I called Thor, they said call local authorized repair shop and we have an August 9th apt.... assuming they take 2-3 weeks to fix it - my season is finished and my payments will continue. Should I drive to factory lol?

I’m a very unhappy camper... that we saved and got a new Thor RV and now can’t use it until next year. We have canceled campsites until late august. We live in New England and I would imagine camping is over around October or just after. I have opened all windows, pulled the bed, and been running the fans to dry it out.

Anyone know of a way to get Thor to act faster on a manufactured issue? Should I blast all social media? Is there someone that can help from Thor here?

Should I find time and drive to Elkhart, IN from Boston to get more attention?

Old 07-09-2018, 09:29 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I would stay calm and on the good side of Thor. The service date they gave you is great based on other's reports...sounds like they moved you in front of a few people based on the severity of your issues. If the unit goes into their shop you can bet it will be fixed proper. They usually go far and beyond and will fix things they find that you don't even know are bad. Write this time off knowing you have a lot more years of great service ahead of you than the few weeks of devastation in front of you right now. MANY people would love to have that invite into to Thor shop!! Good luck with it but...settle down and be thankful!!! Peace!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:41 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
IMHO blasting social media won't do you any good--it may make you feel better but it won't get you any more attention from Thor than a simple phone call. Sometimes someone from Thor reads here and calls people but it is sporadic and no guarantees that it will happen.

To find time for factory service you'd first have to setup an appointment with them. If it were my coach I think I would go that way: call Thor and see if you can get it in there. The factory service techs are really good and will take care of you.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:42 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I would stay calm and on the good side of Thor. The service date they gave you is great based on other's reports...sounds like they moved you in front of a few people based on the severity of your issues. If the unit goes into their shop you can bet it will be fixed proper. They usually go far and beyond and will fix things they find that you don't even know are bad. Write this time off knowing you have a lot more years of great service ahead of you than the few weeks of devastation in front of you right now. MANY people would love to have that invite into to Thor shop!! Good luck with it but...settle down and be thankful!!! Peace!!
The date he listed is for a local service shop, not Wakarusa, IN.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:49 PM   #5

THOR #11130
Just realized that...I got pretty excited for him and my fingers went nuts on me...and Jamie's advice is the best route.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:13 PM   #6

THOR #11816
The shop I am going to is Flagg RV near Boston and not the factory, While I think Thor itself would do a great job I am unsure of the local RV place.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:34 PM   #7

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
As long as it's NOT Camping World, you should at least stand a chance at good service! I know it's frustrating as all He#$ to have a "new" RV leak. Ours did too, until we had the entire outside re-sealed. (Roof,sides, cab to coach) We have minor water stains along the edge of our cab over. But, all seems well since sealing it.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:43 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
How long have you owned you "new" RV? If over 90 days stand by to foot the bill for sealing the leaks unless it's obviously a manufacturing defect. Seams are supposed to be inspected at least annually and you can bet they were not inspected while the RV was on the dealer's lot or during the PDI.

I was on my roof 2 months ago installing some vents and covers and inspected all my seams. They looked good. Last weekend i had water coming in above the drivers area during a heavy downpour. I went up on the roof to see what was going on (good case for a ladder on the back of the motorhome) and found 2 cracks in the Dicor between the front cap and the roof; one was about 1/16" and one was about 3/32". Dried them out, opened them up with a screwdriver and put fresh lap sealant in and over the existing seal - no more leak. Part of RV maintenance.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:47 PM   #9

Model: Synergy SP24
State: New York
THOR #11543
I just traded in a nine-month old Forest River motorhome for the very same reason. The design of the roof and wall allowed water to enter into the unit. The dealer was fantastic in terms of assisting me, but they "fixed it" according to the FR specifications. That said, it still leaked! Additionally, there were other issues. Again, the dealer was very responsive, especially with the purchase of the new unit as well as the trade in value of the other.

If I was not able to trade it in, I would have driven it to the factory and allowed them to repair it. I just think that possibly, the dealer will have no true financial incentive to go the extra mile for the repairs, especially when they are caught between a rock and a hard place with warranty reimbursement.

This is my opinion, and I hope that the whole ordeal works out well for you. Perhaps you should call Thor and evaluate/discuss the issue. I had five minor warranty issues resolved with Thor in the two months that I owned the Synergy and was met with great success. Ron Baker is a fellow in their warranty claims/customer service who has been nothing but professional and responsive.

I think the RV industry needs to seriously address quality assurance (not control). In the interim, I would like to think that if you meet them in a professional and courteous manner, they will respond accordingly.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:56 PM   #10

THOR #11816
Blasting isn't my thing... but spending a lot for an RV and getting rained on inside was a bit frustrating. (sorry for the long post, but I wanted to cover it all in case Thor reads it too).

I have concerns about the time from here to repair. Do I try to mitigate more damage from the rains from now till Aug. 6th? If so how? We can't tarp it as the area we live in won't appreciate that. I have a RV cover for winter, but it was for the 36' that I traded in and might not be water proof. I have repaired many RV's over the years but will I void warranty by fixing a hidden roof leak? I looked and don't see anything obvious about the roof seams or skylights. I don't want to make things worse by trying to make it better.

The open remaining issues we have encountered over 3 weeks are and I am unsure how or to whom to report it:

The rain also stained the middle bed cushions as well. I have not checked the driver side one. I am worried that mold and or issues can remain after a leak as it leaked in the wall and also into the rear storage basement.

Also many screws in the RV are loose or stripped and have fallen out in the two trips I have had on it, all highway. Ones for the closed door magnetic metal brace in the ceiling of the bathroom. Ones for the table holders in the closet. Ones for the stud for the fan fold door to the rear. Screws for the table posts have come loose on the tables. The floor ones look fine.

The table posts also do not allow one to press the spring in to release it from the posts.

I have a few places where the interior wood trim is de-laminating/peeling from the wood showing the raw materials.

The 12 lighter in the cab stopped working after the rain as it ran the GPS and we can't find that fuse nor understand how the rains affected it. I have looked online and checked the inside fuse panel on the firewall (drivers side), the fuse panel under the drivers seat in the compartment outside and the fuse panel under the refrigerator and nothing is blown.

The dash A/C snowflake button gets stuck on the outer trim for the dash. It also did not work, but Support helped me fix the blue to purple wiring to the fan clutch for the compressor.

The windshield wipers actually hit one another (hard) when used in rain and push each other out and bend erratically at fast or slow, further in my model the drive side window only gets about have wiped when it does work.

The caulking used to seal the drivers front roof cowling to the wallboard is pulling apart right at the joint.

The engine or transmission is very harmonically noisy with hard steering vibrations at 61-66 mph... above or below this is quiet and awesome. Under the frame the driveshaft and joints are very rusty but I don't that thats it.

Something in the bell housing or right next to it at idle on level ground metal on metal squeaks or chimes with the engine rotation while moving.

On slow large bumps or minor potholes the front suspension squeaks very loudly, like the bushings? are not greased or something.

On the same bumps, something in the driver side window column (above and front of the side windows) clanks around like it's a loose support or loose connector and is very loud (no idea how its assembled besides the videos online from the factory).

Headlights are aimed very low to front ofd the rv and brights are more where the normal driving ones should be.

The grey water pipe under the RV is disconnected at the box housing the valves. Mashing it in helped, but shouldn't that be glued? Looks like plumbers putty.

The step under the toilet is covered with same floor material and it also peeling/curling back at the bottom where it connects the floor as well.

I know Thor is a good company and make decent motorhomes and have good support, but I feel that mine was either a demo model (we asked the selling location and they said it wasn't) and abused some or we might have a lemon. My current notion is that alot of these are easy fixes, but... what's next?
Old 07-09-2018, 10:58 PM   #11

THOR #11816
We got it May 31st.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:14 AM   #12

Model: Ace 30.2
THOR #11238
Your lucky my 2017 ACE 30.3 started leaking right after the factory warranty ran out. ��
Old 07-10-2018, 01:02 AM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Enterbond tape is your friend, When we picked up our new unit last year, we went to a camp ground near the dealership. I enterbond the end caps all of the vent tv antenna and the side seals this takes care of all of the potential roof leaks While doing the PDI we check all of the water connections, the Sat hook up and the valves to empty the tanks checked the door locks and basement locks
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:41 AM   #14

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Thor's TPO roof is screwed to the walls and caps by many, many screws. These screws are covered by a "beauty" strip and stuck on with automotive grade contact adhesive. If the adhesive fails to bond on the upper part of the strip, it becomes a funnel to transport roof water into the coach. On my coach, the left front of this strip was not sealed, so any time we drove in a rain storm water dripped on the jack control panel tripping the chassis battery circuit breaker. Not fun when the windshield wipers suddenly stop in a driving rain on an interstate. Rain-x does work. When I got home, I blew the water out the strip with an air compressor and resealed the end and where I had separated the strip to blow the water out. My coach has partial paint, so I had to be careful with the white adhesive.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:38 AM   #15

Model: Vegas
State: Texas
THOR #7992
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnwebwise View Post
So our last trip it rained on our new Axis 24.1 and it’s leaking behind the upper cabinets on the drivers side of the bed (woke up soaked), rear window (full trough) and between the awning and the outer wall (covered gear was soaked), drooping the led lights. The inner wall is wrinkled, basement wet also (as was our gear and totes with water in them). Worried about mold as we have mold allergies.

It was level at the campsite and wasn’t raining that hard. We have had it only a month. Water should never come into a new RV right?!? So, I called Thor, they said call local authorized repair shop and we have an August 9th apt.... assuming they take 2-3 weeks to fix it - my season is finished and my payments will continue. Should I drive to factory lol?

I’m a very unhappy camper... that we saved and got a new Thor RV and now can’t use it until next year. We have canceled campsites until late august. We live in New England and I would imagine camping is over around October or just after. I have opened all windows, pulled the bed, and been running the fans to dry it out.

Anyone know of a way to get Thor to act faster on a manufactured issue? Should I blast all social media? Is there someone that can help from Thor here?

Should I find time and drive to Elkhart, IN from Boston to get more attention?

Go ahead back to factory is my advice -after having dealer fix 2015 Vegas first leaks and then after warranty over, fix same leaks again by local repair dealer after discovering major problems with Thor construction. I asked lawyer son to help file small claims suit against Thor and sons advice,If only few thousand just take the hit. Should have taken back to factory originally but here I am in regrets.
From what I see Rv industry quality control lacking, so try and fix with factory if possible. Just my take after 8 Rv’s in 35 yr and this current Rv in shop more than on road.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:39 AM   #16

Model: Challenger
THOR #5237
All I can say is we took ours back to the manufacturer after going thru a few disappointing events with the general. Thor treated me great. Showed up at their facility the night before my appointment, hooked up electric and had a great night sleep. They came knocking on my door at 7:30am and we went over each item that needed work. I was fortunate enough to only live 4 hours away so I was able to leave it and go home. Since I wasn’t in a rush I returned a week later but they had it completed way before that. They fixed everything and then some stuff I wasn’t expecting. I will always be going back there when possible.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:00 AM   #17

THOR #11816
Sounds like I need to make a long trip.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:35 AM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
WOW.....I'm afraid I'd have to line up someone to "go my bail"
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #19

THOR #11130
Keep her as dry as you can and head to the factory as soon as they will get you in. Maybe they van move you up a little based on severity. A pain in the Keister but you will be very pleased long term. I've had this feeling since you originally posted that something really unusual happened to, or is going on with your unit. The factory definitely needs to see it.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:40 PM   #20

State: Virginia
THOR #6337
Leaking Axis 24.1

Our 2015 Axis 24.1 leaks like a sieve. Piss poor "seals" that retract and all efforts in some areas don't work because the doors have warped also. Anyone have suggestions?

Tags
axis 24.1, leaking