Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2018, 05:40 PM   #21

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
We saw a news story awhile back that today the average 40 year-old man doesn't know how to check oil, inflate tires, locate the spare tire/jack/lug wrench to change a flat tire. Now that is VERY sad, I've done my own maintenance for seems like a 100 years, taught both son & daughter & also my oldest granddaughter to change a flat & least be able to check the oil. Now my son is teaching his boys also. I will stop to help a woman with a flat, have many times, but if it's an able bodied younger man, if he can't it's time to learn.

Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:26 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Sadly, many 40-year-olds can’t drive a stick either.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:44 PM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Since ours is only a 16 inch wheel we carry a spare, the tire was left over from changing out two when one on the front had a side wall cut. The rim I ordered used online. At present I am studying options on how to carry the spare.
We have had to many tire failures since 2010 when we started traveling.
Last year two if the four new tires on our dinghy failed and the cut side wall on the front tire of MH meant we bought 6 new tires while traveling.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:54 PM   #24

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
A roadside assistance policy is a must with an RV, IMO. I have not had to use them for tire issues, but did need to have my former 41 foot DP towed. That experience demonstrated beyond doubt, in my mine, that I should and would never be without that protection.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:36 PM   #25

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
simple process: no spare= flat tire, have spare tire= no flats
Old 05-26-2018, 03:45 PM   #26

State: California
THOR #10354
Spare tire and wheel

Like many on this forum, we have installed a tire on a 16" rim underneath the rear of our Thor Vegas 25.2 , as shown and described in this forum using the trailer 2" receiver extending forward to hold up the tire/rim. If your are toading, maybe another support will be required but there is a LOT of space available under there. I do not know why the RV manufacturers do not supply a tire support here as an option.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:18 PM   #27

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
Like many on this forum, we have installed a tire on a 16" rim underneath the rear of our Thor Vegas 25.2 , as shown and described in this forum using the trailer 2" receiver extending forward to hold up the tire/rim. If your are toading, maybe another support will be required but there is a LOT of space available under there. I do not know why the RV manufacturers do not supply a tire support here as an option.
I tried this with my Vegas 24.1. Could not get tire in position. Frame rails too tight by 1/4". Maybe if I deflate tire then inflate in position. At present it fits in big back compartment on drivers side. I keep hub side down and keep cords in it.