Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2019, 04:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
No More Leaking Tail Lights

Thought I'd share a "discovery" I made as a result of having a metal roof installed on my roof following Hurricane Florence.

Got a roll of butyl tape from the roofer. Used to seal panels of roofing to form a watertight seal between panels and also prevent leakage after roofing screws are installed.

Used on a leaking tail light with instant results. Easy to install as the tape is sticky on both sides. Put one sticky side to Vegas body then put lens on and tightened screws to compress.

Ran heavy stream of water down rear of Vegas. No signs of water leaks.

Can get small roll at Home Depot or Lowes for under $10.00.

2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:17 PM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Yes, this has been discussed before on the thread that covers this leak issue. I have found that with the Command Electronics replacement LED unit that it still has a very thin rubber seal for the backup light section. A small amount of leakage must be happening there because after water hits them and the sun is on them you can see what looks like steam drops only in the middle of the backup lights. I don't understand why they used four screws with a miniscule gasket for them since there is nothing replaceable anyway.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:34 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Yes, this has been discussed before on the thread that covers this leak issue. I have found that with the Command Electronics replacement LED unit that it still has a very thin rubber seal for the backup light section. A small amount of leakage must be happening there because after water hits them and the sun is on them you can see what looks like steam drops only in the middle of the backup lights. I don't understand why they used four screws with a miniscule gasket for them since there is nothing replaceable anyway.
The command electronics LED replacements I got had 6 screw holes in the exact locations as the original taillights. They also came with the same foam gasket which I replaced with a rubber gasket.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:49 PM   #4

THOR #3483
Jamie, Just curious, don't your replacement LED units have a removeable piece of plastic over the backup lens? Those are what I was referring to. Makes no sense that they did this.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:17 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Jamie, Just curious, don't your replacement LED units have a removeable piece of plastic over the backup lens? Those are what I was referring to. Makes no sense that they did this.
I don't think they do. I don't remember a removable piece when I put them on last weekend. That would be silly since the LED's shouldn't burn out.

Ah yeah, they do: you can unscrew the middle lens (see them here (etrailer)).

My guess is that the screws are there simply because the clear plastic has to be molded separately from the read plastic and the screws are just holding it on (instead of gluing, welding, etc.).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:08 PM   #6

THOR #3483
Question solved with your last paragraph. Makes perfect sense.