Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2017, 10:12 PM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #6948
2106 Thor ace chassis a/c problem

We recently purchased a 2016 Thor Ace class A. We are out on our initial trip and the a/c in the cab won't work. We have tried to call Thor, Coachnet, ford and our dealer, all which have been of no assistance. The light on the dash for the AC won't come on either. We have tried to locate the fuse box, but can't find that either. We are in Florida now, and desperate for some insight or assistance! Can anyone help?

Old 04-28-2017, 11:28 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Does the fan blow air or are you getting nothing at all? you may have a loose wire behind the dashboard. If you can get your hand behind a wiggle the a/c switch and temp control. Sometimes its simple fix, start there
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:38 PM   #3

State: Arizona
THOR #6948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegdrum5050 View Post
Does the fan blow air or are you getting nothing at all? you may have a loose wire behind the dashboard. If you can get your hand behind a wiggle the a/c switch and temp control. Sometimes its simple fix, start there

We can get it to blow air, it just doesn't get cold. I'll try wiggling the wires
Old 04-28-2017, 11:47 PM   #4

THOR #4158
Also turn control to heat, then max air. Turn fan switch back and forth fast.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:51 PM   #5

THOR #4158
Do you hear the compressor kick in on max?
Old 05-16-2017, 03:29 PM   #6

Model: ACE
State: Illinois
THOR #5475
We have a 2016 ACE 28.1 and the light behind the temperature control was simply that the bulb was not properly placed. If you loosen the 2 screws holding the plate that holds the control you can easily access the bulb and its wiring. As far as the AC - ours blows cold air but not cold enough to cool the coach on a hot day. I haven't had any luck talking with our dealer's service department as they want to push it off as a Ford chassis issue. I'm going to try adding freon.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:44 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #7566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
We have a 2016 ACE 28.1 and the light behind the temperature control was simply that the bulb was not properly placed. If you loosen the 2 screws holding the plate that holds the control you can easily access the bulb and its wiring. As far as the AC - ours blows cold air but not cold enough to cool the coach on a hot day. I haven't had any luck talking with our dealer's service department as they want to push it off as a Ford chassis issue. I'm going to try adding freon.

Umm, are you trying to cool the entire coach with the dash A/C? If so, it does NOT have adequate capacity for that volume of air, and will not cool that type of space.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #8

Model: Ace 30.2
State: Washington
THOR #5063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post

Don't just add freon. The condenser and system is rated at a certain pounds. I'm guessing but most suvs with rear a/c have around 2.3 lbs of freon. Better to have it evacuated and recharged to spec.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:56 PM   #9

Model: thor 22FE
State: Georgia
THOR #3371
When Ford has a 3yr/36000 mile warranty why would you screw with it yourself? the a/c should be covered under that...i wouldn't even deal with Thor. that i would think is not their issue. i would call ford motorhome division and have them find a ford service center to repair the problem...if you are the original owner and it is under warranty you could void it by trying to fix it yourself.

patrick