Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Washington
THOR #1289
Unhappy No TV Power

OK... This is a good one. Under our TV we have a small cabinet (2015 Thor Hurricane) that we store our Videos in. There is a 110vac outlet there that our TV plugs into. Things were fine until we plugged in a small heater. Watched TV all evening, nice and warm... went to bed, and about 3am the little woman got up to go to the bathroom and noticed the heater was not working. Went back to bed, and in the morning told me about it. First thing I checked was the breakers... nope... all fine there. Next thing was the fuses... all fine there. GFI in bathroom... all fine there... The bedroom RV is also not working now, as well as the plugs in the area where our DVD player is located above the fridge. All else if fine. Did I miss something? Is there another ground fault located somewhere?

Thanks in advance for all your help...
Jack

Old 12-02-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Did you switch your breaker all the way off, then on?

Sometimes the breakers trip and it is not readily apparent. Afterall, there is a lot of made-in-China stuff these days. Or the breaker could have simply broken.

Of course, if you are handy with a multi-meter, you can isolate the problem pretty quickly.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:00 PM   #3

THOR #1289
Switched Breakers Off And On As Well

Hope I posted this in the right place... Yes indeed... did the switch off and on for all the breakers
Old 12-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I might try calling Thor to see if they could tell you about any hidden GFCI's or fuses

but i would just go through every outlet I can find.... I'm thinking a GFCI. Maybe one outside?

oh, is that 50amp or 30amp? If 50, maybe a breaker on the post killed only one leg?
Old 12-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #5

THOR #1289
Thanks for the input my friend. I also tried Thor and was told that after I have done all that was mentioned, try checking the inverter under the bed for a reset. Well that was a bust. Working fine. I also tried the 50amp to see if one leg was down but no luck. Still looking... I really think it is a ground fault problem, but for the life of me I can not find any more inside or outside. Factory only knew of the ones I mentioned.. Thanks again for the help. Back to the drawing board HA HA
Old 12-02-2014, 11:50 PM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Have you checked inside all of your basement storage bins for a hidden outlet?
Inside the cabinets?
Under the bed?

Its really beyond me why they don't publish useful schematics for times like this.
HELLO THOR!!!!

Well anyway, good luck.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:24 AM   #7

THOR #1289
I agree with you. I have been looking all day for a wiring schematic, but NO... of course not! The little woman and I have been looking all day, and so far nothing. I was told by Thor (now closed for the day that there is a reset on the inverter and that is my problem, but for the life of me I can not find a reset. There is a main fuse, but I know that is ok because I can turn on the inverter from the front switch (setup for remote turn on) and it fires up just fine, so I am thinking there must be one somewhere else. I am still looking, but will not give up... Thanks for all the help from you as well as the other great folks on here...
Old 12-03-2014, 01:54 AM   #8

THOR #1289
Yea... I found the problem. I feel really stupid because I saw this early on, but ignored it because I was told by Thor that there was a reset button and not a fuse. I assumed the big fuse cap on the front of the inverter was for input (to protect the inverter) and not for output. Well... you guessed it. That fuse is for output not input like I thought. It uses an SLC 15A Buss fuse in the output line, and since my inverter has pass-through AC, there was no power to the AC outlets for the TV's & Accessories. Hope this helps someone else should this ever happen to them...

Thanks so much to all for your input.. really kept my wheels turning

Jack, Sally and our babies, Tasha & Ladyann (our shepherds)
2015 Thor Hurracane
Old 12-03-2014, 03:21 AM   #9

Model: 31F
State: Georgia
THOR #631
Jack,
This thread certainly helped me! Congratulations on solving your problem! Going back over and over (the problem) and questioning everything, assumptions included, is all we humans can do!
John
Athens, GA
Old 12-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #10

THOR #1289
Thanks John, you are sure right. I was determined to figure this out. My main mistake was not realizing that the AC outlet below the TV was hooked into the inverter. Had I been aware of this I MAY not have plugged a heater into this outlet You guys all rock! Lots of input to ponder over and help me solve the problem. Thanks again to you and the rest of the gang... Jack

Tags
tv's not working, wiring