Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2017, 07:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 37.4
State: Florida
THOR #7274
Another Automatic Steps Issue

I have been doing web searches and forum searches but have not found my specific issue...hoping someone can shed some light...

My front steps will not retract - although they try to retract. When I close the door the steps move slightly in, then pop back out. When I start the coach the steps retract (at least they did a couple weeks ago, I will be trying that again this weekend).

Going on some other posts, I got a magnet and put it against the frame connection and the steps started to retract and then popped back out - they move in maybe an inch. before it got to this point on two occasions we closed the main door and the steps retracted but then seemed to pop out a couple inches and retract - doing that repeatedly.

Any ideas on what to look for or where to look. I saw no obstruction and as I have stated, if I start the coach the ignition "override" did take place and the steps properly retracted.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:35 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffnBeth View Post
I have been doing web searches and forum searches but have not found my specific issue...hoping someone can shed some light...

My front steps will not retract - although they try to retract. When I close the door the steps move slightly in, then pop back out. When I start the coach the steps retract (at least they did a couple weeks ago, I will be trying that again this weekend).

Going on some other posts, I got a magnet and put it against the frame connection and the steps started to retract and then popped back out - they move in maybe an inch. before it got to this point on two occasions we closed the main door and the steps retracted but then seemed to pop out a couple inches and retract - doing that repeatedly.

Any ideas on what to look for or where to look. I saw no obstruction and as I have stated, if I start the coach the ignition "override" did take place and the steps properly retracted.
Sounds like you might have either a loose connection or a faulty control box. I would check under the step for a loose connection first.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:16 PM   #3

THOR #7274
Thanks for your input... I'll take a look saturday when I am doing pre trip stuff... out of town right now... I crawled under once but did not see anything
Old 07-17-2017, 09:33 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
First thing I would do is thoroughly lubricate the step at all the pivot points. The control box senses if there is too much load on the motor and stops it. Like when you are parked next to a curb and the step hits it. Since it extends and retracts fully when the ignition is on. Otherwise I would suspect the control box, since the motor and gearbox function properly.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:34 PM   #5

THOR #7274
Would my slide lubricant be good for that? Or just WD40?
Old 07-17-2017, 10:53 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
Any lube is better than none. But they recommend a spray grease. I use StayLube StayPlex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffnBeth View Post
Would my slide lubricant be good for that? Or just WD40?
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote