Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2019, 02:39 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #16562
12 volt not charging

Sent a message to Thor about my 12 volt not charging when running the engine or when plugged in. Got this message in return...

"It sound to me as if the resettable breaker located under your forward-facing dinette seat has tripped. I’ve included a picture of it with this email. You are looking for the item on the right of the picture. It’s only about 1-3/4” long and 5/8” square and is screwed to the dinette base. Once you find this breaker, push the small black button on one of the ends (it’s pretty small and you won’t hear a click nor will it stick). Then go to the entry door, turn the battery disconnect off (or to storage), wait 4-5 seconds), then turn the switch back on. That should restore the house batteries to the rest of the house system."

I can't figure out what they are referring to. Should I be literally looking under that seat. They sent a pic, but it won't load.

Any advice would be great. Just feel like I need to be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks,
Brian

Old 08-31-2019, 02:57 AM   #2

Model: Aria 3401
State: Arkansas
THOR #12542
Yes, they mean under the seat. Pull up the seat cushion and you'll see an access panel. The access panel may be fastened down with screws near the corners.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:28 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
If everyone would put their coach model in their information, it would be a lot easier to know what you are talking about and to help. We discuss Class A-C as well as toy haulers and others in this forum and all are very different.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:02 PM   #4

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkterbush View Post
Sent a message to Thor about my 12 volt not charging when running the engine or when plugged in. Got this message in return...

"It sound to me as if the resettable breaker located under your forward-facing dinette seat has tripped. I’ve included a picture of it with this email. You are looking for the item on the right of the picture. It’s only about 1-3/4” long and 5/8” square and is screwed to the dinette base. Once you find this breaker, push the small black button on one of the ends (it’s pretty small and you won’t hear a click nor will it stick). Then go to the entry door, turn the battery disconnect off (or to storage), wait 4-5 seconds), then turn the switch back on. That should restore the house batteries to the rest of the house system."

I can't figure out what they are referring to. Should I be literally looking under that seat. They sent a pic, but it won't load.

Any advice would be great. Just feel like I need to be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks,
Brian

Welcome to the forum. I am attaching a picture with arrow showing the 50 amp re-settable breaker that I think Thor is referring to.....but this picture is not necessarily how your coach may look. Also if this breaker has tripped it would explain why the converter (battery charger on shore power or gen) would not charge your batteries, but I am not sure it would explain why the alternator (engine running) would not charge the coach batteries.....it depends on what kind of battery management system/wiring is used in your coach. Thor should know, so start by resetting the breaker they suggest and see what happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Converter to Coach Battery CCT Breaker.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	19966  
Old 09-01-2019, 03:38 AM   #5

State: Michigan
THOR #16562
Thanks

You guys are correct in that I should have provided more info on my specific rig. I'm new at this and will get better about providing pertinent info as I gain experience. Thanks to those that replied to my post. I found the little breaker and have reset it. I have to pick up a 12 volt tester tomorrow to verify that all is working fine. I appreciate your help.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:45 PM   #6

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Hopefully resetting that mini breaker will have restored your charging of the batteries from converter at least. When charging you should measure at least 13vdc across your coach batteries. I would also confirm that the coach batteries will charge from your alternator as well (engine running with shore and gen off).

A multimeter is a very valuable tool for all RV owners to help test for correct charging of batteries and trouble shooting electrical problems. Any digital multimeter will work and you don't have to spend a lot to buy one. I am attaching a video which describes the basic use of a multimeter. You don't have to buy the one shown in the video and you don't need auto ranging (it is a nice to have feature). Also note when they show measuring ohms (resistance) and continuity, it is very important to not have any power on the circuit/device you are testing or you can damage your multimeter or blow a fuse in it. Also note that multimeters have small batteries inside that occasionally need replacement. Similar to TV remotes etc.