Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #6333
Not enough flow to engage hw heater.

Kitchen sink does not get enough flow to turn on instant hw heater when connected to outside source. Took the head off at the sink and heater came in briefly. Checked outside source and there is plenty of flow. We do not have a pressure reducer on the source. Gets enough flow on pump. We have a Quantum km24. There is enough flow at bath sink, not shower. Cold water flow valve at hw heater is full on. Suggestions?Thanks

Old 07-11-2017, 07:32 PM   #2

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Wish I could answer this for you but may be able to provide some more info so somebody else can. When I'm connected to shore water with plenty of pressure the water from my bathroom sink will sometimes barely run and then other times it flows just the way it should. IF I turn my pump on during the times of low pressure I have plenty of water. Once in awhile if I turn the water off and back on when this happens the water will flow correctly. I suspect a line is getting pinched somewhere. Some sort of vapor lock seems highly unlikely but I suppose possible. You might want to check to make sure your outside shower valves are off.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:42 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Is there by any chance an inline water filter at the sink that could be reducing the flow or pressure.

I have tankless hot water in the sticks and bricks and I know that sometimes a mineral buildup in the shower heads reduces the flow enough that the hot water heater will not ignite.

I would try hooking an air compressor set at 50 PSI to the city water connection and blowing out all of the lines and to also determine if there is a drastic pressure drop at the fixtures.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:37 AM   #4

State: Arizona
THOR #8280
I have a similar problem with a brand new Synergy that has been used for no more than eight days. Never able to get enough pressure to activate the water heater. It can't be the faucet heads because there is great pressure and flow on the cold water line. Thor implied to the camping world mechanic that it was a design flaw.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:47 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
I believe from other post here that the water pressure has to be at 50 PSI to operate the tankless system check the pressure first
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:34 PM   #6

State: Florida
THOR #6333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Newbry View Post
I have a similar problem with a brand new Synergy that has been used for no more than eight days. Never able to get enough pressure to activate the water heater. It can't be the faucet heads because there is great pressure and flow on the cold water line. Thor implied to the camping world mechanic that it was a design flaw.
As I followed the water lines to and thru the heater there are 1/4 water lines with several 90 elbows. No way to get enough flow. Pump works great because lines are more direct. Ours Quantum km24 is 3 months new. Does warrantee cover design flaws?
Old 08-29-2017, 02:24 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.4
State: Oregon
THOR #4548
Similar problem with my new Thor Vegas 25.4. I get hot water when I'm not using city water but the water pump. When hooked up to city water, might get hot water in bathroom sink, sometimes, but not in sink to do dishes. Just bought a meter to control the PSI at the water connection and will try to fool around with that next time I'm out but what you say about number of turns in plumbing might be "it".
karwask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:19 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
Take the heads off of all your faucets and remove the water saver restrictors.

This is a shower head, but sink faucets have them too.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:38 PM   #9

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Virginia
THOR #5560
This is just checking the obvious, but we ran into this problem last weekend camping. When you turned on the faucet the water pressure was fine but seconds later it went to a trickle. Thought it was the campground water pressure, it was not. Then checked the water filter, also not the problem. Realized when securing the campsite that I had a kink in the hose...