Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-31-2016, 11:35 PM   #1
Kev
Senior Member
 
Kev's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Florida
Posts: 738
THOR #3918
Not A Happy Camper

Picked up my Vegas today, in the rain, after warranty repairs. We had plans to go away for the Labor Day Weekend. When I got home I heard a constant clicking sound coming from behind the furnace panel. I called the dealership and spoke to service who said it was a known problem that water gets into the
furnace panel and shorts out the circuit board which causes the furnace to try to ignite. He advised me to locate the harness behind one of the drawers and unplug it to cut power. I located the harness and it was behind the wood grill but when I unplugged it not only stopped the ignitor but cut power to the lights.
When I called the service dept. back they said well then pull the appliance fuse to shut it off. So I gues I had a choice of either going without lights or go without appliances for the weekend. I chose to cancel my plans. By the way my furnace panel has no vents just the exhaust port.

Kevin
__________________

__________________
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:53 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Hittntherooad's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 30.1
State: North Carolina
Posts: 324
THOR #3952
Couldn't you just pull one wire off the igniter?
__________________

__________________
Ace 30.1
Hittntherooad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:53 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Mr Sunshine's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Vegas 25.2
State: Florida
Posts: 1,993
THOR #1589
Try taking the furnace panel off on the outside. My 2016 Vegas has a switch to turn the furnace off there. That stopped the incessant clicking we had after rain zapped the circuit board. Bet that will work for you!
__________________
They say that not all who wander are lost, but sometimes I am just lost!
Mr Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:17 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
DocMike's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
Posts: 1,636
THOR #2142
Kev,

You said your Heater Cover has no Vents AND it still got water on the board? Now that's a bummer as the fix for the water on the circuit board was to replace the orginal Heater Cover with one that has no Vents. This "water on the circuit board" may be still a problem. FUDGE!

Doc
__________________
Sheree & Michael NCNG LTC(ret) with Munpi and Sheba (cat).
2016 Vegas 24.1 E350 5 speed "Ms. Enterprise", Bug-Guard Screen, Recliners, Infotainment Center, HUD, ARC Shower Rod, Safe-T-Plus, Curt SpareTire Mount,Tornado Black Tank Rinser, ext. WiFi Antenna, Roadmaster Tow Sys& Invisibrake.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:14 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Mo_Mike's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
Posts: 909
THOR #4687
What year VEGAS do you have?
__________________
Mo_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:02 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Bob Montgomery's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
Posts: 511
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Picked up my Vegas today, in the rain, after warranty repairs. We had plans to go away for the Labor Day Weekend. When I got home I heard a constant clicking sound coming from behind the furnace panel. I called the dealership and spoke to service who said it was a known problem that water gets into the
furnace panel and shorts out the circuit board which causes the furnace to try to ignite. He advised me to locate the harness behind one of the drawers and unplug it to cut power. I located the harness and it was behind the wood grill but when I unplugged it not only stopped the ignitor but cut power to the lights.
When I called the service dept. back they said well then pull the appliance fuse to shut it off. So I gues I had a choice of either going without lights or go without appliances for the weekend. I chose to cancel my plans. By the way my furnace panel has no vents just the exhaust port.

Kevin
Make an appointment to get it fixed asap and then why not remove the heater cover and dry out what you find behind it? It seems strange any water could get in but I would check there asap and then proceed depending on what you find....
Please keep us posted.
__________________
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:23 AM   #7
Kev
Senior Member
 
Kev's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Florida
Posts: 738
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
What year VEGAS do you have?
Late 2016 E450 chassis

Kev
__________________
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:27 AM   #8
Kev
Senior Member
 
Kev's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Florida
Posts: 738
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Kev,

You said your Heater Cover has no Vents AND it still got water on the board? Now that's a bummer as the fix for the water on the circuit board was to replace the orginal Heater Cover with one that has no Vents. This "water on the circuit board" may be still a problem. FUDGE!

Doc
Dealer said water rolls down the side into the panel onto the vent onto the circuit board. I call Thor and they said there was a service bulletin that calls for a gasket for the panel.
Kevin
__________________
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:30 AM   #9
Kev
Senior Member
 
Kev's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Florida
Posts: 738
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Try taking the furnace panel off on the outside. My 2016 Vegas has a switch to turn the furnace off there. That stopped the incessant clicking we had after rain zapped the circuit board. Bet that will work for you!
Thanks for the info. I will check it out tomorrow if it ever stops raining. Did your circuit board have to be replaced? How did you remedy the problem so it doesn't happen again?
Krv
__________________
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:36 AM   #10
Kev
Senior Member
 
Kev's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Florida
Posts: 738
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
Make an appointment to get it fixed asap and then why not remove the heater cover and dry out what you find behind it? It seems strange any water could get in but I would check there asap and then proceed depending on what you find....
Please keep us posted.
If it ever stops raining I will take off the panel and was thinking of drying the circuit board with a hair dryer.

Kev
__________________
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:33 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Bob Montgomery's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
Posts: 511
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
If it ever stops raining I will take off the panel and was thinking of drying the circuit board with a hair dryer.

Kev
Careful not to overheat it....let us know how it works for you.
__________________
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
DocMike's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
Posts: 1,636
THOR #2142
Kev,

Who did you call at THor?

As I have already had to change out the circuit board, change out the cover panel and the chromed exhaust on my Vegas heater...I may as well go all the way and get the gasket needed.

Just found out my Parts Manager at CW is changing jobs so my POC and help will be gone as of Friday...I feel like an orphan! The Service Manager, The Parts Manager, THe Finance Manager and The Warranty Manager who put together my Sale 30May15 have all left the CW company. Only one left is the Salesman that showed us the unit and worked on the PDI list with me. Talk about turnover!!! I have been well pleased with the service I have received there - I hope it does not change now.

Doc
__________________
Sheree & Michael NCNG LTC(ret) with Munpi and Sheba (cat).
2016 Vegas 24.1 E350 5 speed "Ms. Enterprise", Bug-Guard Screen, Recliners, Infotainment Center, HUD, ARC Shower Rod, Safe-T-Plus, Curt SpareTire Mount,Tornado Black Tank Rinser, ext. WiFi Antenna, Roadmaster Tow Sys& Invisibrake.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:06 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
Posts: 133
THOR #4425
interesting post because when we purchased our 2016 Super C this past May, as we were doing the final walk-through that ticking noise started---after the service tech examined the furnace he knew it was the board- had gotten wet from them washing and rinsing the rig for delivery that morning (the guys washing and squirting the hose have no idea) so he immediately just went and replaced the board---everything fired up and works fine--BUT, where do you fine the Thor Service bulletins?? OR is that just a dealer notification---would like to see the recalls and bulletins as they come up like the truck and auto recalls so we can make sure we keep the service guys honest!! LOL
__________________
WillowRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:57 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
DocMike's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
Posts: 1,636
THOR #2142
I just got an email back and my dealership could not find the bulletin for the gasket.


Doc
__________________
Sheree & Michael NCNG LTC(ret) with Munpi and Sheba (cat).
2016 Vegas 24.1 E350 5 speed "Ms. Enterprise", Bug-Guard Screen, Recliners, Infotainment Center, HUD, ARC Shower Rod, Safe-T-Plus, Curt SpareTire Mount,Tornado Black Tank Rinser, ext. WiFi Antenna, Roadmaster Tow Sys& Invisibrake.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #15
Kev
Senior Member
 
Kev's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Florida
Posts: 738
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
I just got an email back and my dealership could not find the bulletin for the gasket.


Doc
Ok called Thor again today and spoke to someone different. First thing they said was the panel has to be changed out. I told him that my Vegas was late 2016 and DID NOT have louvers. He told me basically the same as the dealer that water was rolling down the side of the rv and entering through the top of the panel dripping water on the circuit board. He said some people have removed the circuit board and dried it off with a hair dryer. If that doesn't work the circuit board has to be replaced. He also suggested to seal the top of the panel opening with sealant to prevent problems in the future. When I get home from work I will remove the panel and try to dry the circuit board and see if that works.

Kev
__________________
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:19 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 922
THOR #1249
Don't cancel your trip. Get out the duct tape and tape those seams after you disconnect the circuit board. That will keep the water out untill you get a gasket.
I keep my furnace openings taped up all summer anyway to keep the critters out.
Go have fun.
__________________
MR 2015 Thor Vegas 24.1 in Ocala
mcr1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:00 PM   #17
Kev
Senior Member
 
Kev's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Florida
Posts: 738
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Don't cancel your trip. Get out the duct tape and tape those seams after you disconnect the circuit board. That will keep the water out untill you get a gasket.
I keep my furnace openings taped up all summer anyway to keep the critters out.
Go have fun.
You must have read my mind. I was just thinking after I attempt to dry the circuit board I was going to duct tape the furnace panel.

Kev
__________________
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:55 PM   #18
Kev
Senior Member
 
Kev's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Florida
Posts: 738
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Kev,

Who did you call at THor?

As I have already had to change out the circuit board, change out the cover panel and the chromed exhaust on my Vegas heater...I may as well go all the way and get the gasket needed.

Just found out my Parts Manager at CW is changing jobs so my POC and help will be gone as of Friday...I feel like an orphan! The Service Manager, The Parts Manager, THe Finance Manager and The Warranty Manager who put together my Sale 30May15 have all left the CW company. Only one left is the Salesman that showed us the unit and worked on the PDI list with me. Talk about turnover!!! I have been well pleased with the service I have received there - I hope it does not change now.

Doc
I called that 877-855-2867 that was posted somewhere on here.
Kev
__________________
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:31 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
Posts: 152
THOR #3433
Kev,

I used the same phone number this morning. I did have to leave a voice message and did get a call back this afternoon from Thor Service. Maybe I was just lucky!
__________________
Ed & Robin Lively
with Nina, Kitt, and Mickey
2016 Thor Synergy TT24 (a.k.a "Ming")
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:46 AM   #20
Kev
Senior Member
 
Kev's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Florida
Posts: 738
THOR #3918
Furnace circuit board

Here is the latest in the wet circuit board saga. I opened the panel, in between the rain drops, and found the off toggle switch. Thank you Mr. S . I dried the circuit board with a hair dryer and put the switch back in the on position and no sound of the ignitor trying to start. then put foam insulation around the opening and replaced the panel. After installing the panel I filled the gap around the panel with sealant. I started the furnace to make sure it worked and also figured the hot exhaust pipe would dry out any moisture. Because heavy rains are expected tonight I decided to play it safe and cover the panel with plastic.
__________________

__________________
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×