Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2018, 09:40 PM   #1
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Now this is interesting (General RV)

Just got back from our local RV show ("helping" a family member pick up an RV--they did: a Class B on the Ford chassis).

What was interesting was that on just about every RV in General RV's display had a poster titled: Keep You Camping (see the images below for a scan of the handout).

Basically they are introducing a program (they are hiring a bunch of new people for service!?) where they are promising "same day service" for some specific critical issues (issues that would prevent you from using your unit on a trip). So for "minor" things (like molding falling off, small leak, drawer falling apart, etc.) you do the normal service thing and schedule time (and wait?) but for the specific listed items they are "promising" same day service. (This was all from the sales person that sold our family member their RV so take it with a grain of salt LOL).

The brochure:
Click image for larger version

Name:	KeepYouCamping1.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	8985
Click image for larger version

Name:	KeepYouCamping2.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	8986

They also have a small webpage for it too:
https://www.generalrv.com/rv-service/keep-you-camping

Of course this only goes for customers of General RV.

I basically told the sales person that if they actually do what they are saying here they may have a hit... (they replied that they hope they do, and that if they are doing it perhaps other dealers will also pick up their game!? A very self-aware statement.)

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:24 PM   #2

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
The old saying. "Time will tell".

Keep us posted after your family takes delivery.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:42 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It sure sounds good!
I hope that it does what they say it will...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:54 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #6009
We purchased a coach from General RV in Wayland Mich. I only took it back once for a couple of small warranty items but the way they scheduled was interesting.
You did not make an appointment. You showed up and got in line. We arrived about 45 minuets before they opened and we were barely able to get on the lot. We were at least 15 back. I thought, this is not going to work. However, 20 minuets after opening I was in a bay explaining my problems to a tech and we were out of there in a couple hours. Not sure how it would have gone if I would have had more serious issues.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:08 AM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Just got back from our local RV show ("helping" a family member pick up an RV--they did: a Class B on the Ford chassis).

.....cut....
Which one? Coachmen, Winnebago, or ..... ?

By the way, same day "inspection", or same day repair "plan" doesn't sound like they are committing to much. In my opinion neither term has teeth. I'll remain skeptical until they prove themselves different.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:31 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Which one? Coachmen, Winnebago, or ..... ?

By the way, same day "inspection", or same day repair "plan" doesn't sound like they are committing to much. In my opinion neither term has teeth. I'll remain skeptical until they prove themselves different.
LOL yup there is some fine print on the brochure I uploaded which describes that.

They did mention that we would also qualify for the program even though we purchased our RV from them 4 years ago...hmm now they tell me! LOL.

Our family member picked up the Coachmen Crossfit 22D. Another interesting thing: at the RV show they had a Winnebago class B sitting next to the Crossfit. The Winne had pretty much the identical floorplan as the Crossfit but it looked cheaper (there was exposed wiring hanging below the cabinets, the interior doors looked a lot flimsier, the construction just didn't look as good as the Crossfit) and the Winne was $20k more!
Old 02-11-2018, 12:42 AM   #7

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
It may not have “teeth” but it is an interesting concept, especially if you can use all 12 of their facilities. Just the commitment to look at the problem and see if they can solve it would be great. My local RV place is very good about doing that for me. If they look at it and tell me they have to order a part, at least I may have an idea of what is wrong and if I want to continue a trip. I fried my 120v electrical connectors 2000 miles from home and was told by Camping World that they could not even look at it for three weeks. I just wanted them to look at it and tell me if it was safe to repair it. No way. I ended up swapping out the parts in their parking lot and continuing on. Did not make for good feelings towards CW. And I had bought the coach from a CW in FL.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:50 AM   #8

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
I picked up on the same thing as Chance. Same day inspection, same day repair PLAN, and a timeline for repairs. That timeline can still be weeks or months!

But hey, it’s a start in the right direction.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:14 AM   #9

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
went to general rv twice, very fast and friendly people, although each location has it have it own way of doing stuff, birch run and mt clemens
Old 02-11-2018, 02:33 AM   #10
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:

What was interesting was that on just about every RV in General RV's display had a poster titled: Keep You Camping (see the images below for a scan of the handout).

Basically they are introducing a program (they are hiring a bunch of new people for service!?) where they are promising "same day service" for some specific critical issues (issues that would prevent you from using your unit on a trip). So for "minor" things (like molding falling off, small leak, drawer falling apart, etc.) you do the normal service thing and schedule time (and wait?) but for the specific listed items they are "promising" same day service. (This was all from the sales person that sold our family member their RV so take it with a grain of salt LOL).

The brochure:
Attachment 8985
Attachment 8986

They also have a small webpage for it too:
https://www.generalrv.com/rv-service/keep-you-camping

Of course this only goes for customers of General RV.

I basically told the sales person that if they actually do what they are saying here they may have a hit... (they replied that they hope they do, and that if they are doing it perhaps other dealers will also pick up their game!? A very self-aware statement.)
I bought my RV at General RV and yes they will do same day service if possible. It use to be no appointment when you drop it off, now they do appointments. I have dropped my RV on my specified date and time for minor warranty work and got it back that evening. My service has been very accommodating when I had trips planned and needed a repair.
So in my case they have proved themselves different.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:37 AM   #11

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I hope it raises the standard and catches on.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:46 AM   #12

THOR #2121
Quote:

....cut....
Our family member picked up the Coachmen Crossfit 22D. Another interesting thing: at the RV show they had a Winnebago class B sitting next to the Crossfit. The Winne had pretty much the identical floorplan as the Crossfit but it looked cheaper (there was exposed wiring hanging below the cabinets, the interior doors looked a lot flimsier, the construction just didn't look as good as the Crossfit) and the Winne was $20k more!

I like Coachmen, and agree they sometimes offer good value. For the most part we were very happy with our Coachmen small Class C, although that was so long ago it means nothing today.

We saw the Crossfit 22D and liked it a lot, except for it being on the narrow side. I think the Ford Transit van is one of the narrowest inside. The width of the rear bed at 68" highlights just how narrow the Transit van is. One of the reasons we keep looking at ProMaster Class Bs is that their bathrooms are normally much roomier.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:53 AM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I like Coachmen, and agree they sometimes offer good value. For the most part we were very happy with our Coachmen small Class C, although that was so long ago it means nothing today.

We saw the Crossfit 22D and liked it a lot, except for it being on the narrow side. I think the Ford Transit van is one of the narrowest inside. The width of the rear bed at 68" highlights just how narrow the Transit van is. One of the reasons we keep looking at ProMaster Class Bs is that their bathrooms are normally much roomier.
There was a ProMaster based B at the show (don't remember which manufacturer) but it was about 3' shorter and seemed less roomy than the Crossfit--that 3' made a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev
I bought my RV at General RV and yes they will do same day service if possible. It use to be no appointment when you drop it off, now they do appointments. I have dropped my RV on my specified date and time for minor warranty work and got it back that evening. My service has been very accommodating when I had trips planned and needed a repair.
So in my case they have proved themselves different.
We also picked up our Axis at a General RV back in 2014. When we wanted to bring it back for some minor work I called to setup an appointment and they told me "Just bring it in, we don't do appointments". Took them about a week to trace down the wiring in the 7-wire plug at the back.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:14 AM   #14
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
There was a ProMaster based B at the show (don't remember which manufacturer) but it was about 3' shorter and seemed less roomy than the Crossfit--that 3' made a big difference.

We also picked up our Axis at a General RV back in 2014. When we wanted to bring it back for some minor work I called to setup an appointment and they told me "Just bring it in, we don't do appointments". Took them about a week to trace down the wiring in the 7-wire plug at the back.
Yes that was before they now do appointments as I said in my previous post.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:10 PM   #15

THOR #2121
Quote:

.....cut.....
The longest van models from these two manufacturers are only about a foot in difference, so you were likely looking at a shorter ProMaster. Most USA ProMaster conversions are based on the longer extended PM, although some floorplans from Hymer and others are quite short. I have seen some of those and they are very small, like old classic VW camper vans.

In round numbers ProMaster go up to 21', Transit to 22', and Sprinters to 24'.

Sprinter van conversions are even roomier but usually way too expensive. Maybe when built in USA and available with gasoline engines they'll come down in price some.