Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2018, 03:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #7047
Odd noise from engine.

I am having an issue I was hoping someone may be able to help diagnose.
I own a 2017 Thor Axis with 6100 miles on it. On our way home from Florida this September I began to notice at approximately 2100 rpm there is a knocking noise from the engine compartment on the driver side.
In attempting to diagnose the noise myself I cycled on and off all accessories and air conditioning etc. with no change.
The noise is not present when in neutral, or park at the same rpm. It is present only when moving and is not gear specific when in drive. I can hear it in all gears. It is more noticeable when I am climbing a hill or on a steady incline.
It does not sound metallic and I do not notice a decline in power or anything. Just a very odd noise. It almost sounds like you click your tongue in your mouth.
I took it to a Ford dealer and it sat for about 3 weeks with no diagnosis. Initially they said they cant replicate it then when I took out the service man and showed him he acknowledged it but was still unable to diagnose it.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Mine will do the same thing depending on the type of gas I use while traveling I think that's what it is.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Does it sound like a "tick" and is it RPM dependent? (e.g. the speed of the noise tracks with the engine RPM?)

If so check your manifold bolts: Ford Triton engines are known for the manifold bolts breaking (although not with so few hours on the engine). Typically with broken bolts, however, the noise goes away as the engine warms up and the manifold expands pressing against the block.

I had some on my F-350 (3 if I remember correctly) and it produced a very distinct "tick tick tick" at idle when cold. (The F-350's bolts broke around 60,000 miles, however.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:42 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Ontario
THOR #2441
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Does it sound like a "tick" and is it RPM dependent? (e.g. the speed of the noise tracks with the engine RPM?)

If so check your manifold bolts: Ford Triton engines are known for the manifold bolts breaking (although not with so few hours on the engine). Typically with broken bolts, however, the noise goes away as the engine warms up and the manifold expands pressing against the block.

I had some on my F-350 (3 if I remember correctly) and it produced a very distinct "tick tick tick" at idle when cold. (The F-350's bolts broke around 60,000 miles, however.)
I had a vibration type noise at 2300 - 2400 rpm. Ford dealer could hear it but could not diagnose. Sounded like a rocker/tappit clicking in the engine. Very disconcerting when driving. Ended up being a poor weld on a upright frame member. When the engine got to 2300 or so rpm the metal began to vibrate. Must say Ford probably spent 3-4 hours searching but never found it. They were close though as the two techs said it sounded like it was coming from the engine compartment. They were within 2 feet of the source. It took me days to finally find it with my wife listing while we were driving.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:08 PM   #5

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #7047
Follow up.

Bad gas was my initial thought, since we were driving when the hurricane was coming in to florida and several gas stations were out of fuel. But we later took a trip to Mass with it and refilled a few times and it is still there.
I just took it out for another ride and noticed while the engine was cold it was not doing it but as the enin got to running temp it became noticable and it is consistently at that rpm 2100 or so and only in gear under load.

Maybe a better way to describe the noise is if I pulled a spark plug wire off and arced it off the engine block. It is rapid like that.

I may need to mount a go pro in there and take it for a ride. I will also check the welds.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:09 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Check your spark plugs too. Triton engines have been know to eject loose plugs.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote